Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shesheb
    • By Shesheb 15th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 281Thanks
    Shesheb
    Egg Credit Card PPI Help Needed
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    Egg Credit Card PPI Help Needed 15th Oct 16 at 5:24 PM
    Help needed please.

Having used all your advice I have been successful with PPI claims on a couple of loans.
    i decided to try and help my husband and a claim on his egg now his barclaycard card.
    Having paid £10 he received an envelope full of paperwork and he discovered that he had been paying ppi in the early years of the card.
    The card was taken out in 2000 on the internet and he cant remember anything about ticking/unticking boxes or anything to do with ppi.
    As he rarely use it and pay off the balance each month he haven't paid it recently.
    Having sent the FOS forms in his claim has been rejected
    reason being he would have been told that PPI was optional.
    At the time of taking the card out he had been with the same employer for 16 years and indeed is still with the same employer, he had adequate sickness benefit, redundancy and death benefit through his work and as the card was in his name if any problems with payment i would have been able to make payment as I was in full time employment.
    They have said if the information is wrong or have anything to add that may make him change his decision to contact them again.

Sorry for such a long post and any help gratefully received
Page 1
    • Shesheb
    • By Shesheb 15th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Shesheb
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    Don't know if it makes any difference but but we were successful in a claim for an egg loan that he took out a couple of years after the card. Again it was only in his name.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 85,141 Posts
    • 50,152 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    At the time of taking the card out he had been with the same employer for 16 years and indeed is still with the same employer,
    So, that confirms he was eligible to take the cover out.

he had adequate sickness benefit,
    What do you call adequate? However, it doesnt really matter if this was a non-advised sale.

and death benefit through his work
    PPI doesnt pay out on death. it is not life assurance. So, that is not an issue.

and as the card was in his name if any problems with payment i would have been able to make payment as I was in full time employment.
    It was his card. Not yours. So, you don't matter on non-advised sales.

Sorry for such a long post and any help gratefully received
    Your reasons would have more strength on an advised sale. However, on a non-advised sale where he selected to have it, those reasons dont work as well. It really comes down to how the selection of the PPI was presented on the forms completed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 6,467 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    -taff
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    Escalate your complaint to the FOS.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    societys child
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    . . . he rarely use it and pay off the balance each month
    In that case he won't have paid any PPI, it's only charged on any outstanding balance.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 17,246 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    In that case he won't have paid any PPI, it's only charged on any outstanding balance.
    Originally posted by societys child
    To be fair, the Op states that PPI was indeed paid in the "early years" and that it hasn't been paid recently due to always paying off the balance.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 16th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    societys child
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    As he rarely use it and pay off the balance each month he haven't paid it recently
    Ahh, I read that as he hadn't made any repayments recently because he rarely uses the card and there was no balance to paid off. I also read it as he'd always cleared the balance monthly.

Suppose it could mean he hasn't paid any ppi recently, bit ambiguous . . .
    as is this:
    Having paid £10 he received an envelope full of paperwork and he discovered that he had been paying ppi in the early years of the card.
    Had he actually paid any ppi or is it just mentioned in said received paperwork (or listed on the statement but not actually paid, because he'd paid it off every month)?

Or are there statements showing that he had actually paid it I'm still not sure . .

• Shesheb
    • By Shesheb 16th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Shesheb
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    Thanks for the replies. To clarify things
    In 2000 my husband took out an egg credit card. 4 years later he took out an egg loan. He couldn't remember ticking the box for PPI and both applications were done online.
    2 years later we received an inheritance and paid both card and loan off. We then decided if the card was used it was repaid immediately so never paid any PPI after that.
    He requested a SAR report and that's when he discovered he'd been paying PPI for the first 6 years.
    He has been repaid the PPI for the loan but refused for the credit card.
    I have spent the afternoon hunting for any paperwork he may have to help I haven't found anything.
    I hope that makes things a bit clearer
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 85,141 Posts
    • 50,152 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    In 2000 my husband took out an egg credit card. 4 years later he took out an egg loan. He couldn't remember ticking the box for PPI and both applications were done online.
    The problem with online transactions is that no-one is selling it to you or advising you to have it. So, by default, you would expect all online complaints to fail. However, some online applications had failure points on them which allows a complaint to be upheld (although not on the areas that you used). It all comes down to their wording.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Shesheb
    • By Shesheb 17th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Shesheb
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything to help change the decision that Barclaycard has made.
    You win some and loose some.
    Thanks again.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything to help change the decision that Barclaycard has made.
    Thanks again.
    Originally posted by Shesheb
    You have 6 months to refer the complaint to the FOS, outside of that it can be time barred
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 6,467 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    -taff
    Thanks again.
    Originally posted by Shesheb
    Escalate your complaint to the FOS.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,847Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter