Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worriedbudgeter
    • By worriedbudgeter 15th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    worriedbudgeter
    I Disputed a debit card transaction and I've been told I've lost the dispute
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    I Disputed a debit card transaction and I've been told I've lost the dispute 15th Oct 16 at 5:00 PM
    Hi everyone, first of all, I'm new here. I've got nowhere else to turn and I appreciate any advice you all may have for me.

So this started on holiday. I used a bank machine (ATM) that was not situated outside a bank. I requested a withdrawal of 300 Euros. I never received any of it. I felt physically sick, from absolute worry. I immediately got in touch with my bank back home (Bank Of Scotland) and told them the scenario, they said they were unable to help until the payment has passed the 'pending' stage, but they would lodge a reference number for a dispute for cash not received, which I received. I then phoned the bank in question, they stated that if there was an error, the system would automatically refund the debited amount after 2-3 days.

This was 4 days before I was due to fly home. Luckily I have great family who loaned me the money which I'd lost after a tearful phonecall back home. I agreed to pay them back using the money I would get from my next payday a week after I got home. So a day later, the payment has passed the 'pending' stage and is taken from my account, I immediately get on the phone and open the dispute with my bank. Everything is fine, after 40 minutes on the phone the dispute is lodged and I will hear back in 5 days.

5 Days passed and lo-and-behold there is the money! refunded by my bank! I paid my mother back using the money I got refunded, with a smile. Success...? No. Today I returned home after 10 days away with relatives, to a letter explaining that the money will be re-debited from my account in the next ten days. The bank abroad sent back a log, saying the machine balanced at the end of that day and my dispute was unsuccessful. I can't put into words how upset I am. I have three witnesses that the money never came from the ATM.
    But to further the anger, my bank had already given me the money, even though it was not successful? is this normal? Anyways, the date they set (10 days from the letter) has passed and there's no movement in my bank account. I get paid this weekend and I'm worried I will have no money if the bank decide to take the money.

My questions are;
    What rights do I have here? What can I do?
    My bank hasn't taken the money back within the timeframe they specified, can this work in my favour? I'm sorry if this is coming across desperate, but I am! The money was not received in the first place! This is a whole weeks wage, I will have nothing left! I am at my wits end, I'm struggling to cope with the stress this is creating. I need to feed my kids and keep the electricity on, I won't have anything if they decide to take the money. Any advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by worriedbudgeter; 15-10-2016 at 5:18 PM. Reason: title needed clarification
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 27,768 Posts
    • 17,533 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Really? When did that happen?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    That's news to me, must have gone passed me by.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 16th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Ben8282
    So instead of using the ATM of a normal Spanish bank you just happen to use the ATM of an little known Spanish bank with an English language website offering Euro and Private Banking accounts to foreigners. I really wonder what made you select this particular ATM.
    The timescale of what has happened appears very short to me. I would have expected it to take much longer for this Spanish bank to get back to your bank to say everything balanced.
    So your witnesses are your Grandfather, your Fiance and your children?
    I am also curious as to how your Mother, presumably in the UK, transferred the funds that she had agreed to lend you to enable your holiday to 'proceed as normal' and why your Grandfather or Fiance were unable to help you out with any cash.
    You say that as a result of this you are now unable to feed your children or pay the Electricity bill. Seriously, if your financial situation is such as this, should you really have spent all that money on a foreign holiday that you obviously could not afford.? Could you Mother, or perhaps your Fiance or Grandfather, lend you some money for food and Electricity?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 16-10-2016 at 8:56 PM.
    • pinkdalek
    • By pinkdalek 16th Oct 16, 9:02 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    pinkdalek
    I find a daily limit of £300 is perfectly adequate for my needs, but thanks for your concern.
    Originally posted by dggar
    To be honest mate I'd be lucky if I ever have £500 in there that I could draw either.

I don't really care where you bank or what the limit is.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 16th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Lloyds and Halfiax are not part of RBS, I don't know if Lloyds is still with the hbos group?

A complaint to the bank is the best place to start with the facts laid out as above, banks hate complaints!
    Originally posted by lozzy81
    Really? When did that happen?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I thought RBS, Lloyds and Halifax were all merged into the HBOS group back in 2009 when one of the banks originally went down. I know one of the banks owns the others, I don't know. I'm probably wrong looking at these responses, but it's not something I've solely studied to be honest
    • worriedbudgeter
    • By worriedbudgeter 16th Oct 16, 11:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    worriedbudgeter
    So instead of using the ATM of a normal Spanish bank you just happen to use the ATM of an little known Spanish bank with an English language website offering Euro and Private Banking accounts to foreigners. I really wonder what made you select this particular ATM.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Am I an expert in foreign banks? No. I used the closest one from the taxi rank. They are everywhere across the canaries. How condescending can you be, really?

The timescale of what has happened appears very short to me. I would have expected it to take much longer for this Spanish bank to get back to your bank to say everything balanced.
    So your witnesses are your Grandfather, your Fiance and your children?
    I am also curious as to how your Mother, presumably in the UK, transferred the funds that she had agreed to lend you to enable your holiday to 'proceed as normal' and why your Grandfather or Fiance were unable to help you out with any cash.
    As for transferring the funds, there's this thing called online banking, you should check it out sometime. Saves a lot of hassle. My grandfather helping us out, does it relate to what's happened here??

You say that as a result of this you are now unable to feed your children or pay the Electricity bill. Seriously, if your financial situation is such as this, should you really have spent all that money on a foreign holiday that you obviously could not afford.? Could you Mother, or perhaps your Fiance or Grandfather, lend you some money for food and Electricity?
    We saved all year for the holiday, what I do with my money is no concern of yours. Wind your neck in and get off that high horse. This was our first holiday as a family and I'm entitled to do whatever I want with my money. I was never prepared for any of this happening, hence the mess this has left me in. Hell I had no idea this could happen. Didn't you feature in South Park once? Ah! That's it, you're Captain Hindsight!

Seriously, If you have no useful advice, then I'd prefer if you didn't contribute.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 17th Oct 16, 12:02 AM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 6,638 Thanks
    colsten
    I thought RBS, Lloyds and Halifax were all merged into the HBOS group back in 2009 when one of the banks originally went down.
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    You are confusing the Royal Bank of Scotland with the Bank of Scotland.

Lloyds got never merged into the HBOS group - Lloyds Banking Group owns HBOS, alongside Lloyds Bank and other financial institutions.
    • SeaDweller
    • By SeaDweller 17th Oct 16, 3:12 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeaDweller
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    So much negativity to OP, it's not called for given the additional facts were given as requested. And for your information, Banca March is not a random no-brand ATM in a corner shop, they have been running since 1926, have €12 billion in assets and came out top in Tier 1 Ratio of the European stress tests in 2010. That's top of Europe, not just Spain to clarify.

As others have said, OP should complain and make sure they have all the details as you described to us.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 17th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    HBOS is/was just a holding company - it was never a bank itself.
    Halifax and various other smaller companies were all merged into BOS prior to LBG.

You are confusing the Royal Bank of Scotland with the Bank of Scotland.

Lloyds got never merged into the HBOS group - Lloyds Banking Group owns HBOS, alongside Lloyds Bank and other financial institutions.
    Originally posted by colsten
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 7,828 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    bigadaj
    HBOS is/was just a holding company - it was never a bank itself.
    Halifax and various other smaller companies were all merged into BOS prior to LBG.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    At the time of the hbos merger Halifax was approximately twice the size of bank of Scotland by market cap.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 5,070 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    At the time of the hbos merger Halifax was approximately twice the size of bank of Scotland by market cap.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    This is true.

The idea of bringing Halifax, IF and Birmingham Midshires under the BOS banking licence was to save money by not needing to meet regulatory requirements for a formal board of directors for each banking licence. I believe the amount saved was c£1m a year.

While Halifax was by far the biggest entity at the time, the decision to retain the BOS banking licence and let the others lapse was the advert in every Scotsman's wallet - the printing of Scottish bank notes by the group would have ceased if they'd chosen a different brand's banking licence.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 7,828 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    bigadaj
    This is true.

The idea of bringing Halifax, IF and Birmingham Midshires under the BOS banking licence was to save money by not needing to meet regulatory requirements for a formal board of directors for each banking licence. I believe the amount saved was c£1m a year.

While Halifax was by far the biggest entity at the time, the decision to retain the BOS banking licence and let the others lapse was the advert in every Scotsman's wallet - the printing of Scottish bank notes by the group would have ceased if they'd chosen a different brand's banking licence.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Yea and it all went so well, like that other reverse takeover with rbs and natwest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter