Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lbuk
    • By Lbuk 15th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Lbuk
    I don't like how my carpet was fitted.
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    I don't like how my carpet was fitted. 15th Oct 16 at 4:53 PM
    Hi,

I recently had a new carpet fitted, the exact same as the adjacent room.

It's a solid colour carpet but somehow the light has a massive impact on how the colour appears and one room is cream and the other beige but when you bring samples together it is exactly the same colour.

When the carpet was fitted in the larger room they've had to use two pieces and for some reason they have put the join running from the entrance door to the far wall rather on the other end of the room where the bed would go.

They say the join would fade but as luck would have it one side of the cut appears beige and the other cream!

It's terribly obvious and visible and it was an expensive carpet.

Do you think they'd refit it without any hassle?
Page 1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 22,130 Posts
    • 55,129 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    If you lay a sample directly over the join - and you're saying both sides of the join are the same colour bu appear different - how does the sample compare? Because what you're suggesting is that the sample matches one but not the other ...
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 15th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    Kiran
    It's unlikely, you can get independent fitters who will do this kind of work at a cost. Just remember it has been cut to fit your room. Even if it looks square it probably isn't and may not stretch enough to cover the gap
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • baza52
    • By baza52 15th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 1,904 Thanks
    baza52
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    If you lay a sample directly over the join - and you're saying both sides of the join are the same colour bu appear different - how does the sample compare? Because what you're suggesting is that the sample matches one but not the other ...
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    perhaps the pile on the carpet is facing in different directions causing it
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 15th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    perhaps the pile on the carpet is facing in different directions causing it
    Originally posted by baza52
    And that can make such a big difference too! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen how it can alter a carpet's appearance!
    • missile
    • By missile 15th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 8,326 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    missile
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    Where did you buy and who fitted the carpet?

If you chose a reputable seller, they will listen to your complaint.
    If you chose Carpetright, they will not be interested.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 16th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Gastines3
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    Any fitter of any worth would obviously have put the join at the end under the bed! Never put joins in a doorway! As an old school carpet fitter,I admit to still sewing joins/seams,where possible and it sounds like they might have got the pile direction wrong as well. Many churned out carpets these days have pile direction varying on even small meterage and shading often shows up in a very short space of time.
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 16th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    Any joins should be well away from walkways , it sounds very much like the joined piece has gone end on side so the shade looks different .
    You can actually fit the same carpet in 2 bedrooms , stand on the landing and they look completely different due to lighting and pile direction .
    The main question is , what was agreed beforehand ?
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 17th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 17th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    Sounds like a poor fitter. With any flooring its all about the fitting
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,364Posts Today

6,013Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin