Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• shell820810
    • By shell820810 15th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 380Posts
    • 252Thanks
    No payrise in 5 years
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    No payrise in 5 years 15th Oct 16 at 4:43 PM
    I have been with the same company for 11 years and have not had a payrise in about 5 years. 5 years ago I went on maternity, returned part time and had a second child and have returned again part time. During my first 6 years I had a promotion and got good increases because the market was booming, plus increases for professional exams.

Payrises are based on performance reviews and I have received a satisfactory score during my reviews. Employees with the same performance rating are getting payrises but I have been told I am on a good salary for what I am doing (because of previous payrises that I deserved).

Do you think there is an element of discrimation here? How would you approach this. It has been implied that I won't get any increases unless I apply for a promotion.
Page 2
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 17th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 4,548 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    Totally agree with every word. I notice the same poster also thinks that is ok to pay **** wages to someone if they are from the EU, on the basis that they are good wages for someone from the EU! At least they are an equal opportunity offender - it would appear nobody but them deserves anything.

It is actually relatively easy to see other ground for no pay rise - the OP did come across as somewhat entitled. They focus on how great they were, but now "satisfactory" seems to be the view. And they pretty much said they won't work hard because they will make the company "pay in other ways". Those aren't the routes to a pay rise, especially when they can recruit others to do the same work for less pay, as the OP had stated. It isn't rocket science to see much better reasons for no pay rise than having taken maternity leave in the past.

The OP has already identified that they cannot go elsewhere and get the pay and conditions that they currently have. That being the case, then THAT is their answer. Why would the current employer wish to offer more than anyone else is offering? Unless they are getting more....
    Originally posted by sangie595
    I know, I was shocked when I went onto that other thread and saw this poster comment that someone from the EU earning £18k must be from one of the more western countries like Sweden or Denmark as clearly they believe all eastern Europeans are unskilled and used for cheap labour only. Shocking. There are many skilled, qualified and high earning Europeans from every country and making derogatory assumptions based purely on nationality makes me uncomfortable.

I can understand the OP being frustrated that they are working hard and every year and for five years they are taking home what is worth less and less. That would demotivated many, especially if their colleagues on the same assessment level are getting increases. I took their reaction on here more as a vent than a genuine plan to stop working hard and their comment that they'd struggle to get the same conditions elsewhere more of a comment about the difficulties of getting a skilled and well paid part time job through direct application rather than a flexible working request where you already work. However without more info it's hard to know what the actual situation is and there's little the OP can do about it as you can't make an employer give you a pay rise.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 17th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 4,710 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    OP, based on what you say, it doesn't sound as though they are discriminating against you.

If you are getting 'satisfactory' at appraisals that may be part of the issue - obviously diferent companies will use diferent terminology, but I would see 'satisfactory' as meaning "does the job as expected" - it implies "average", to me, so it may be that you need to be lookin to get "excellent" or whatever the rating above "satisfactory" is, to be able to sucessfully argue for a pay rise.

I'd suggest:

- At your next apparaisal, or when you are able to speak with your line manager, ask specifcially what you would need to do to obtain a pay rise.Ask about specific goals and how they would be measured.

- Go to the appraisal prepared to set out your stall. Be clear about what you feel you have achieved, areas where you have gone above and beyond the basis requirements of the job, any specifc achievements. Be sure to include things which might be ess obvious - e.g. if your appraisal focuses on sales, but you have also spent time dealing with unhappy customers and resolving issues so they decide not to complain, or if you have provided training or support to other staff, then make sure that you highlight that as well.

- If you are asking for a raise, be ready to justify it - this may include setting out your achievements as above, but also what the market rate is for this kind of job (if that is higher than your current pay)

- Consider looking elsewhere. Do some research abut other part time work and whether this would pay better. Sometimes, intangible benefits like being clsoe to home, having built up a relationship where you can be a little flexible on timing etc can mean that the over all package is better where you are even f the headline pay would be higher elsewhere.

- If you don't feel the package over all is as good as elsewhere, then start job hunting. But don't threaten to leave for higher pay unless you are prepsred to follow through.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,605Posts Today

5,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin