Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fredsnail
    • By fredsnail 15th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 1,560Posts
    • 3,892Thanks
    fredsnail
    Selling shares in US company
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    Selling shares in US company 15th Oct 16 at 4:37 PM
    Hi,

I'm an executor for an estate of a UK person who held shares in a US company.

I've contacted the registrars for that company who require a medallion signature guarantee stamp which a few companies in the uk are able to provide for a fee. For an additional large fee they will complete the transfer and sale of the shares.

My question is do I have to register the death and probate certificate in the US before I can transfer the shares to the estate to be sold, or will the UK death certificate and probate papers be sufficient?

I'm just trying to work out how hard it would be to do this myself rather than pay a company for filling in a couple of forms.

Thanks

fs
Page 1
    • ArmyDilllo
    • By ArmyDilllo 16th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    ArmyDilllo
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    Hi Fred,

I'm not sure I know the answer to the question you asked.

But, I would have thought it would have just been a matter of selling the shares as normal.
    You could do that via a U.K. broker with access those markets.
    Then it would be a matter of providing them with probate to carry out your instructions as an executor.

I'll be interested in your results as my 83 year old Father has US stock.
    Sadly I'm going to have to go through this one day in the not-too-distant future for myself.
    Save 20k in 2016 #143: achieved £23,762.38 of £20,000 target
    Retired 17:30, Friday 30Sep16 (aged 56).
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 16th Oct 16, 2:47 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:47 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 2:47 PM
    There have been a couple of threads on these boards with similar issues with medallion registered businesses, and the outcome seemed to be it was a large amount of hassle and relatively expensive to progress this for an individual.

Apologies if this is little help to fredsnail, but this might be something for armydillo to consider, maybe persuade your father to sell those shares in the near future, there are plenty of uk based funds that might act as proxies and be easier to deal with in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter