Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darkh0rse
    • By darkh0rse 15th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 41Thanks
    darkh0rse
    Marks & Spencer created a financial association on a non-joint application
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    Marks & Spencer created a financial association on a non-joint application 15th Oct 16 at 4:37 PM
    Hi

My girlfriend applied for an M&S Money Credit card in 2014. She got rejected.

Two years on I have discovered M&S linked us financially from this application.

M&S replied:
    "When a customer applies for a product such as a credit card with ourselves, we ask if they wish to include their partner’s details in the application. This can assist us in our decision making process. This is not a joint application but does create an association on both of their credit files."

I am furious. How can they do this? How can an application which isn't joint create a permanent association?

Is this one for the ombudsman?

Thanks
Page 2
    • Transformers
    • By Transformers 16th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    Transformers
    It is reasonable for the financial institution to create an association between an applicant and the person named by the applicant as an additional card holder on the account.

After all, if approved, the additional card holder would be spending money that the primary cardholder would be liable for.

If that's not a legitimate financial link then I don't know what is.

So - your GF entered your details in the application - why, if there was no intention to include you as a cardholder?

The blame for the association rests with your GF (in asking for credit and naming you as one of the recipients of a card for her account) and not with the financial institution.
    • ukamber1
    • By ukamber1 16th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    ukamber1
    It is reasonable for the financial institution to create an association between an applicant and the person named by the applicant as an additional card holder on the account.

After all, if approved, the additional card holder would be spending money that the primary cardholder would be liable for.

So - your GF entered your details in the application - why, if there was no intention to include you as a cardholder?

The blame for the association rests with your GF (in asking for credit and naming you as one of the recipients of a card for her account) and not with the financial institution.
    Originally posted by Transformers

I agree....I've just removed a financial association from an egg credit card opened nearly 10 years ago. I wasnt the named account holder but was added as a secondary cardholder. Even tho it wasnt a joint account, I still held a card for the account so a financial link was setup. Account was closed over 7 years ago so easy to do a financial disassociation and get the link removed.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 16th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 28,328 Posts
    • 16,136 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    There would only be one reason for doing this, and that's to increase the chances of a) acceptance, and b) a half decent credit limit.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 16th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    GingerBob

Absolutely no it isn't, but it seems M&S are in agreement with you. They need reporting to the ICO about this. A named second card holder is not a financial associate.

I recently took out a secondary card for my daughter. She is a financial dependent of mine, but she is not financially associated; we have no joint accounts.

These card companies and utility providers are chancing their arm with this one and they need to be brought to book.
    • starM
    • By starM 16th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    starM
    I agree with GingerBob.

From my understanding financial association should only be created if both are liable for the debt. On credit card only main applicant is liable for the debt if defaulted.

If both of you have good credit rating then I don't think you will have issue obtaining credit.

My and my other half are financially associated due to joint mortgage and I have available card limit 80% of my annual income. My other half also has large amount of available credit but her Barclaycard application went through without any problems with decent credit limit.

Barclaycard did do unrecorded search on my credit report but that may be to look if I have any adverse data.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter