Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AWOO
    • By AWOO 15th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AWOO
    Merge
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    Merge 15th Oct 16 at 11:42 AM
    I'm having a similar problem. 27/9/16 we had BT installed and immediate lost internet. We have only had access to the BT welcome page and troubleshooting pages each which timeout.
    I have a complaint ongoing but have informed them I'm getting Virgin installed in 18/10/16 so they need to have their service working before no later than 15/10/16 so I can be sure it works. They have another engineer coming out on 17/10/16 but this is the third engineer to our house. We have had several in the street who inform us they think the cable in the street needs replacing. Meanwhile we are struggling without internet.
    I've already asked them to cancel and refund the payment they have taken. The service has been appalling. I even asked them if they could not provide the service I contracted them to provide they could simply tell me and save themselves hassle and additional expenses and we can both amicably walk our separate ways. I'm yet to get any clear answers and they just avoided answering my query to ensure they would not add charges and chase me for costs if I do terminate due to a complete lack of any broadband service. However, if needed I will go through the courts even if I have to save up for this.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 8,828 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    As per your contract they will charge the remaining months . Unless they have agreed to cancel the contract without charge .

VM are not BT and do not use the BT OR cable .
    • AWOO
    • By AWOO 15th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AWOO
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    Cancelling BT for non provision of service
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    I'm seeking advice after having BT installed three weeks ago. I'm still to receive any broadband service. I have had several engineers out and already had my home connections checked twice. I'm informed they need to replace cable in the road hich could be a few weeks more.
    I registered a complaint already and informed them I have booked Virgin Media to install services this week and would like to cancel services.
    They appear to be agreeing to this asking for a final engineer appointment on 17/10/16 before Virgin install on18/10/16. So far I've paid £30+ and yet to be able to use the Internet. It's not a slow connection but no connection. I've gone through several checks and already been told it's not a problem with the connections in the home but between the house and the exchange. Another engineer working in the street informed me it's likely due to a cable needing to be replaced and could take weeks but nobody on the phone has given me any indications of timescales or what's wrong. Hence me going to Virgin. My only concern is that I will end up going to Virgin and then being told I have to pay £x for charges and service for 12 months when I haven't been provided with the service so the breach is with BT. I think I've been reasonable and communicated my intentions in advance to BT but not had much back from them in relation to this.

Anyone had this before?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 8,828 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    See your identical post .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 15th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 15th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    If you have dialtone from BT and can make and receive calls, but no broadband at all, then it's unlikely to be 'the cable' to your home , but faulty equipment either at your home or the exchange
    In your other post you say you moved to BT and lost broadband ?, does this mean you had broadband working with another provider over the OR network before moving to BT ?
    If you don't allow BT to try and fix the issue, and just cancel , then they probably will apply early termination charges, and if you don't settle them they will adversely affect your credit rating, you should get an agreement to cancel penalty free before just arbitrarily cancelling
    Unless you can cancel VM penalty free before the install date, you may end up either paying for both, BT and VM, or paying an ETC to either BT or VM
    Last edited by iniltous; 15-10-2016 at 6:28 PM.
    • AWOO
    • By AWOO 16th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AWOO
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    Thanks. Yes I had working broadband via Sky which is why we thought this would be no problem. Problems started though as soon as BT started. I've had 7 engineers out so far so certainly given them chances to resolve. Mostly engineers working in the street or at the cabinet. The issue I have at the moment is that it's already costing us a lot as we are having to travel to use Internet and it's hard when juggling work, kids, college. My wife already missed one college deadline. I was patient team first week but not we are 3 going towards 4 weeks no service and they still can't tell me what's going on or given us a timescale for a fix. We have had no offer of compensation for the lack of service just a series of apologies, I'm going to call them again tomorrow to push for confirmation of waiving any cancellation charges.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    From BT terms and conditions
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

If you experience repeated, continuous or irregular faults with the Service, or we agree that the standard of Service you receive is consistently below what you might reasonably expect, we may, after an individual assessment, allow you to end your Agreement for the Service without paying any early termination charges in accordance with Paragraph 13. Please contact us if you'd like to talk about this.

BT Broadband Service only – line speeds: Once your BT Broadband Service line speeds have settled (usually 10 days after activation), if you're regularly getting download speeds lower than the range we estimated in your Order Confirmation, please let us know and we'll try to improve the speeds. If you've followed our instructions in trying to resolve the problem, but your download speeds are still regularly less than the "minimum guaranteed line access speeds" for your Service (see www.bt.com/yourlinespeed for more detail) you may end your Agreement for the BT Broadband Service without paying any early termination charges in accordance with Paragraph 13. This won't apply where you're re-contracting for the same Service when you already know that the speeds are lower, or if you don't follow the conditions set out in www.bt.com/yourlinespeed.

As you are not getting broadband the line speed will be less than the speed you were promised.
    This gives you a way to cancel without early termination costs
    baldly going on...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,733Posts Today

6,342Users online

Martin's Twitter