Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Perelandra
    • By Perelandra 15th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,093Posts
    • 787Thanks
    Perelandra
    Question in part-refunding postal charges
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    Question in part-refunding postal charges 15th Oct 16 at 1:27 PM
    What would be the best way to refund part of the postage cost to this buyer please?

I have a number of items for sale.
    Buyer contacted me prior to bidding, to ask if I would combine shipping cost for 2 items
    I agreed on a reduced rate
    Buyer then bought two items, paid full price including postage, and asked for a refund of the difference. (Previously I have invoiced the customer at the reduced postage cost)

What is the best way to refund the difference in cost to the buyer?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 57,707 Posts
    • 40,795 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    I always just refund from the original paypal payment that at least returns the paypal fee element, but alas not the ebay FVFs. Under no circumstances send a new payment to the buyer, as that leaves the whole of the original payment still available to chargeback
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Perelandra
    • By Perelandra 17th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Perelandra
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    Thanks Soolin,

Ok, I will do that. What a shame, but not a huge issue, it's just a few pounds.
    • campdave
    • By campdave 17th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    campdave
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    Thanks Soolin,

Ok, I will do that. What a shame, but not a huge issue, it's just a few pounds.
    Originally posted by Perelandra
    If you're going to refund postage, refund it minus any FVF it has cost you - you shouldn't be out of pocket because your buyer is too dumb to pay via the invoice you sent them.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    If you're going to refund postage, refund it minus any FVF it has cost you - you shouldn't be out of pocket because your buyer is too dumb to pay via the invoice you sent them.
    Originally posted by campdave
    It may not be the buyer's fault.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/pay/require-immediate-payment.html

For items priced below £350 on eBay.co.uk with a specified postage cost and where PayPal is the only payment method offered, buyers who click Buy it now are asked to pay immediately.
    If the OP says it's just a few pounds (the refund?) then the FVF are only a few pence.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • campdave
    • By campdave 17th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 1,790 Thanks
    campdave
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    Buyers who can't or won't use the basket should be shot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter