Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theone999
    • By theone999 15th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 95Posts
    • 28Thanks
    theone999
    not paying back / delaying paying back money "sent to wrong payee"
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    not paying back / delaying paying back money "sent to wrong payee" 15th Oct 16 at 1:22 PM
    My bank is HSBC, which has sent me a letter detailing a request from Lloyds for request of authorising a debit for money sent to "wrong payee from list".

Am I allowed to simply write back to HSBC saying, "authorisation not given"? without giving a reason or explanation.

What would happen next if I flat out refused to hand the money back through the HSBC letter procedure?

If it goes to court, I will lose. But what I want is to drag it out as long as possible and hope the other party stops on account of cost / hassle. The sum of money involved is under £100. I know that one way to stop HSBC from debiting my account is to ensure my account has less the credit of the sum involved. But as HSBC is monitoring my balance/payments in/overdraft, that option is not a good one.

What are the possible outcomes of happening next and how can I drag out paying back as long as possible without it affecting my credit rating or incurring additiona costs?

While this post makes me sound like an absolute !!!! (just pay them already!), I have multiple borrowings from multiple banks all of which are on my !!! and I have rent arrears greater than the sum of all credit and balances that I have.
    Last edited by theone999; 15-10-2016 at 1:28 PM.
Page 2
    • theone999
    • By theone999 15th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    theone999
    Agreed, OP knows this money is not his and is refusing to give it back in a timely fashion. It is not an unsecured debt, a debt is incurred through borrowing and this money was never loaned to the OP, it was placed in their account in error.

Do what you want OP, but it looks like karma is already catching up with you with your already incurred debts
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    No, I do what I have to, to keep the plates spinning. you also don't understand the fact that if I paid my other debt and business obligations, i would de facto have 0 credit left and still not have enough to everyone all at the same time.
    Last edited by theone999; 15-10-2016 at 3:57 PM.
    • **laura**
    • By **laura** 15th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    **laura**
    I don't understand how this can be treat as a debt of the OP when the reality is that it wasn't even there in the first place? Receive £85 (for eg), don't spend it, don't use it because it's not yours and then when asked for it back, repay it? Don't turn round and say that you have other debts that are a priority before you start to pay this back?! It shouldn't have been used in the first place surely?
    • theone999
    • By theone999 15th Oct 16, 4:03 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    theone999
    I don't understand how this can be treat as a debt of the OP when the reality is that it wasn't even there in the first place? Receive £85 (for eg), don't spend it, don't use it because it's not yours and then when asked for it back, repay it? Don't turn round and say that you have other debts that are a priority before you start to pay this back?! It shouldn't have been used in the first place surely?
    Originally posted by **laura**
    how can I put this to you. if an account was already overdrawn, it is permanently in use, with more scheduled payments before the end of the month. when all the choices are bad, I need time to maneuver. or would you rather I make this payment now with no proof provided of wrongful payment or contact from previous employer in full awareness if I do so, I could simply shoot myself in the foot at the end of the month on one or more of the following issues rent / bank lending / supplier invoices? In addition, I have invoices dated before the date of this letter that were they to be paid in sequential order, I would de facto have less than the sum of money requested as a credit balance and the repayment would be automatically rejected in line with banking regulations?

it's like giving a patient on life support the option for them to press a button so they can overdose now.

my previous horizon was simply the end of the month. with the discovery of the letter this morning, it is now shortend to the end of next week. i don't have luxury of choosing which fire to put out. the answer is all of them, eventually.
    Last edited by theone999; 15-10-2016 at 4:14 PM.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 15th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 5,657 Thanks
    theoretica
    You say that your account is being monitored by the bank - is this the same bank? Surely they would notice this situation and it has potential to be held against you depending on how you react.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • theone999
    • By theone999 15th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    theone999
    You say that your account is being monitored by the bank - is this the same bank? Surely they would notice this situation and it has potential to be held against you depending on how you react.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    My HSBC bank account is being monitored by HSBC, the request for money has come from Lloyds bank which I have no business with. I don't know if the monitoring conditions were exclusive, but this certainly wasn't mentioned. Lot of things have potential, to be realised at different times. I am simply trying to deal with whatever i cannot push back anymore. It's tiring being poor.
    Last edited by theone999; 15-10-2016 at 4:20 PM.
    • theone999
    • By theone999 15th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    theone999
    Also, the last time I had something like this happen, it was with an individual, but it was Lloyds bank which sent me the letter so I went to Lloyds and disputed it, HSBC were not involved. I don't know whether it is because it is a company this time or mechanisms have simply changed from about 18 months ago.
    • pcman1985
    • By pcman1985 15th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pcman1985
    If you mistakenly sent a sum of money (irrespective of the amount) to the wrong account...

Would you want the money back now, in months time, or perhaps never?

That's what I thought.

Get the bank to send the money back at the earliest opportunity, or you may well find you have an unexpected expense, have to spend that money, then the next day the bank sends the money back to the other person leaving you in unauthorised overdraft.

And knowing Karma and Sods Law, that is exactly what would probably happen.
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 15th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Karonher
    did you not read the bit about my rent arrears? I am paying various parties back. when you're short on money, it goes on an order of priority. just because I have some credit in an account doesn't mean I don't have debt elsewhere which is more important.
    Originally posted by theone999
    Yes - I did read it and also that you don't want to pay this debt back, yet in the first post wanted it to drag it out until the other party gave up therefore not having to pay it back.

I don't think it is most of the posters being "utter arseholes" as you claim.

Do what you want and take the consequences.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2016

Aiming to make £3,500 online in 2016.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 8,391 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I really dont know why some of you people bother posting on a debt forum, where people come for advice, and then judge them without knowing the full facts.

Yes the OP, could of worded his post better, but sometimes you need to read between the lines.

I suspect if the OP had started his post "Deep in debt, help needed, and now an over payment from an ex employer has sent me over the edge"

He may have got entirely different responses.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 15-10-2016 at 5:17 PM.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 15th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Karonher
    I really dont know why some of you people bother posting on a debt forum, where people come for advice, and then judge them without knowing the full facts.

Yes the OP, could of worded his post better, but sometimes you need to read between the lines.

I suspect if the OP had started his post "Deep in debt, help needed, and now an over payment from an ex employer has sent me over the edge"

He may have got entirely different responses.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    How do you read between the lines when they say they want the other party to give up so they don't have to pay back? Wording it as you said would have got a different response as they would not be trying to get out of repaying.

I know the idea is to help people out of debt, but not be dishonest.

Some people will always try to help others get away with things - others won't.
    Last edited by Karonher; 15-10-2016 at 5:35 PM.

• sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 8,391 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I just tend to err on the side of caution where money and debt are concerned, debt can be likened to an iceberg, only the top 1% is above the water, 99% is hidden.

Its impossible to know another posters situation, but a lot of the time i see desperate people on here, people in debt will do anything to help relieve the situation, believe me, i`ve been there, someone putting some unexpected money into my bank account, would be akin to a drug addict finding a packet of smack on the street, you would take it in an instant.

Just think a little more consideration should be given to people who ask for help from strangers.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 15th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Karonher
    Most posters do get the help they ask for. The ones who tend to find opposition are the ones who want to get out of paying - and I don't mean just having the interest stopped or lower payments agreed I mean not paying altogether.

I would imagine everyone on here still is or was at one time in debt and I will always be much more likely to offer suggestions to those who want suggestions on how to pay.

• -taff
    • By -taff 16th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 6,468 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    -taff
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/wrong-account-payments.htm

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 16th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    stuart30
    it's a company. i used to work for them. all the people above are being utter arseholes, I haven't said I would never pay it back or go all the way to court. I simply want to explore every avenue to push paying back as late as possible. what part of prioritising debt repayments does people on this subsection not understand.

I only saw the letter piled up this morning and the bank wants it done within 7 working days, ie next week now. timescale is too short.
    Originally posted by theone999
    Ha ha its tempting isnt it...take it from one who knows,just pay it back mate...even if its £5 a week.

Dont do as i did and bury ya head in the sand and wait until £15,000 has been depoisted..i know where your coming from and its tempting to make the !!!!!!s wait.
    Save the wear and tear on your keyboard and don't waste your time correcting my spelling or Grammar...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

6,830Users online

Martin's Twitter