Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 15th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 11,202Posts
    • 43,362Thanks
    joansgirl
    Am I weird?
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    Am I weird? 15th Oct 16 at 12:23 PM
    This morning I was told I was weird because after I've cleaned my paintbrushes with white spirit and soapy water, I run them through the washing machine.

I find doing this brings them up really clean and gets off all those nasty congealed bits that ordinary cleaning leaves behind.

Am I weird?
Page 2
    • Judi
    • By Judi 15th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 13,721 Posts
    • 53,420 Thanks
    Judi
    It is Sunday I need to go to Church!
    Originally posted by colinw
    Is it Christmas already?
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 15th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Is it Christmas already?
    Originally posted by Judi
    you would think so judging by all the stuff going on in the shops and pubs right now
    Holding back the years...

• Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 694.7
    This week - 44.5
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 5,495 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    You may find this weird. But I love hot cross buns with bacon. Only discovered this when the day before pay day, the only 'bready' item me and my ex had was HXBs. Just enough milk for a couple cups of tea each and bacon.

Its very nice.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Kate/Bob
    • By Kate/Bob 15th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 5,071 Thanks
    Kate/Bob
    You may find this weird. But I love hot cross buns with bacon. Only discovered this when the day before pay day, the only 'bready' item me and my ex had was HXBs. Just enough milk for a couple cups of tea each and bacon.

Its very nice.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Well that's given me something new to try tomorrow, thanks Scarlet
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 5,495 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Well that's given me something new to try tomorrow, thanks Scarlet
    Originally posted by Kate/Bob
    No need for brown sauce either as the HXBs are fruity and spicy.

We did bacon butties in HXB from then on as my ex tend to have more brown sauce on his clothes than he ate!
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • TE1979
    • By TE1979 16th Oct 16, 3:41 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TE1979
    We are all weird in our right mind.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 14,874 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    If it works for you & doesn't frighten the horses, I'll not call it weird.

Depending on the use, we get poundshop brushes, use abuse & dispose of them - or did til Himself clocked the manufacturer's stamp & tenderly restored the lot (over 30) to very nearly as new status & has taken over caring responsibilities for brushes. (Given he has a set of 7 very specific brushes that cost me over £80 bought one at a time for treats & festivals, he can & does look after the good things.)

He's a sipper of vinegar too.

Weird is a bit like the shelf behind me with a Tilley lamp, a fletching jig, a pot of quills hat have been heat treated & just need cutting before use & a jar of eggs pickling. Not that the jug of photocards, fruitbowl of sundry cables or carrier of £7 in pennies (bagged & awaiting a trip to the bank) is wrong in this room, just a bit eccentric.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Would be even weirder (more weird !!) if you put them in the dishwasher.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    My mrs is the dishwasher in our house, and she wouldn't like that.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 16th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 32,917 Posts
    • 135,176 Thanks
    tommix
    Normal people in here
    Originally posted by colinw
    What is normal?

Are we talking about adhering to the standards laid down by philosophers and rich men in suits?

Or are we talking about the normality pertaining to an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight unbranched carbon chain, each carbon atom of which, is joined to no more than two other carbon atoms?

Dunno about you cole? but I fall into the latter

This post should get a 'Thanks' from Quasar at least..
    Last edited by tommix; 16-10-2016 at 1:36 PM.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 16th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 43,362 Thanks
    joansgirl
    No worse than putting trainers in the washing machine.

But doesn't the wood get too wet on the handle of the brush, and the metal which holds the bristles go rusty.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    No, it doesn't at all!

Yes and no. It's an unusual thing to do - most people don't care too much about their brushes once they've got most of the old paint off ....

But if you like to get them looking good as new and you've got a way to do it that fits your lifestyle, then why not.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It's not that I want them pristine it's that I have a couple of favourite brushes (was also told it's weird to have favourite paint brushes too )
    I've had them donkeys years and they are excellent for glossing, they don't drop any hairs. I've tried using new ones but I always end up going back to my old faithfuls
    I've just used them for coloured gloss and wanted to make sure they were fit to use when I start decorating next month so in the machine they went.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    This morning I was told I was weird because after I've cleaned my paintbrushes with white spirit and soapy water, I run them through the washing machine.

I find doing this brings them up really clean and gets off all those nasty congealed bits that ordinary cleaning leaves behind.

Am I weird?
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Sorry joansgirl, but you are a tiny bit weird!

The way to look after paintbrushes is this...paint something with a paintbrush, leave it to soak in turps stuff while you have a kip...go back to it a year later, then buy another brush.

That's what I do. Maybe I'm the weird one! x
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 16th Oct 16, 4:08 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 3,818 Thanks
    Head The Ball

Am I weird?
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Not weird but possibly wasteful. A washing machine uses quite a lot of electricity and each wash cycle wears it out a bit.

You are also risking damaging your clothes in subsequent washes if not the machine itself if gloopy bits of paint stick to the drum or get stuck in the pump or filter etc.

I find cleaning with white spirit followed by agitating in a bowl of soapy water gets a paint brush clean enough for later use.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 17th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 32,763 Thanks
    Natty68
    I drink malt vinegar (surreptitious slurps from the bottle). Now that's weird.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Oooh I love malt vinegar from the bottle... Have drunk it ever since I was a little girl and I'm now 48, but I still love it Husband thinks I'm peculiar..but then he hates vinegar full stop..lol

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 17th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Oooh I love malt vinegar from the bottle... Have drunk it ever since I was a little girl and I'm now 48, but I still love it Husband thinks I'm peculiar..but then he hates vinegar full stop..lol
    Originally posted by Natty68
    Urgh, you and tigster are definitely weirder than joansgirl! That's just wrong!

I tried apple cider vinegar in water with a drop of honey, recently. I was sick! Yes, it does help when dieting as you can't keep it down! It was as much as I could do to finish the large slice of cake for tea.
    • Hoochypooch
    • By Hoochypooch 17th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Hoochypooch
    Cheaper to buy a new paint brush than a new washing machine!
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 17th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 22,110 Posts
    • 55,080 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I'm finding that drinking vinegar is not so weird now - thanks everybody!
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Hoochypooch
    • By Hoochypooch 17th Oct 16, 9:31 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Hoochypooch
    Could you clean paint brushes in vinegar? (and then drink it?)

Not if there is lead in the paint I hope, not advisable either way I imagine, you will have nothing to sprinkle on your chips.
    • jblessing
    • By jblessing 17th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    jblessing
    I am pretty sure that drinking vinegar undiluted is not good for you long term. Too acidic for the esophagus lining and tooth enamel.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 18th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 46,392 Posts
    • 127,029 Thanks
    colinw
    People who put brushes in the washer - yes
    People who drink Vinegar from the bottle - yes
    People who drink Thousand Island Dressing - yes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter