Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • firsttimetom
    • By firsttimetom 15th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 275Posts
    • 312Thanks
    firsttimetom
    Christmas Market Food...!
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    Christmas Market Food...! 15th Oct 16 at 11:43 AM
    Hi All,

This is a bit random but I'm after a bit of advice if anyone can help..

We are running a Christmas Fair in our town with stalls etc - there is going to be a catering stall selling food & drink - but we aren't all on the same page as to what we think should be offered - at the moment it is literally 'too many cooks'!

So I'd like to look at it from a potential visitors point of view, so If anyone has any thoughts on what they would expect (or like) to find at such an event in terms of hot food, cold food, veggie options & drink that would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 15th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 36,468 Posts
    • 73,302 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    Locally sourced wherever possible, whether it is food or drink. Lots of min-tasters in effort to tempt people to buy.

Don't forget that not everyone is christian so include allsorts of traditional Winter festival foods and explain the tradition.
    For example, promote goose, not that foreign dry turkey import from the colonies!
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    You will get some wonderful advice if you started this thread in OS.

But as this is the Arms, I am all for drink! Lots of wine.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    Cups of soup and mini sausage rolls would be top of my list for hot food

Mini triangle sandwiches and cake for the cold plate

Avoid chocolate or anything sweet, last thing you need is lots of sugar high kids running amok.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 694.7
    This week - 44.5
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 15th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    Tiny warm mince pies. If alcohol is permitted you could offer a mulled wine. A decent cup of coffee, (nothing fancy, just good fresh-brewed and hot). Hot chocolate with squirty cream on top.

Will there be a few chairs and tables by the catering stall ?
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 15th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    helcat26
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    If it is for people to eat there at the stall:
    Hot chocolate
    Mulled wine
    Hot coffee

Mince pies
    Gingerbread snowmen
    Slices of chocolate log

Soup- easy to do carrot, or other veggie and cheap to make
    Sausages in a bun
    hot pasties veg and non
    Warm roast turkey sandwiches
    Turkey curry

If it is to sell and for people to take away the usual stocking fillers like fudge, chutney, jams, flavoured oil.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 15th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 20,527 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    There must be hot mulled wine! I've been to Christmas food fairs before that haven't had it and served beer instead. Very unimpressed.
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 15th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    cbrown372
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    If it is for people to eat there at the stall:
    Hot chocolate
    Mulled wine
    Hot coffee

Mince pies
    Gingerbread snowmen
    Slices of chocolate log

Soup- easy to do carrot, or other veggie and cheap to make
    Sausages in a bun
    hot pasties veg and non
    Warm roast turkey sandwiches
    Turkey curry

If it is to sell and for people to take away the usual stocking fillers like fudge, chutney, jams, flavoured oil.
    Originally posted by helcat26
    Any and all of the above. Has to be easy to eat with no plates or knives and forks so something that can be wrapped in a napkin.

I'd also add in hot orange, had it at a Christmas market in France was delicious.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 22,121 Posts
    • 55,106 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    Drinks - cherry beer, mulled wine, hot chocolate.

Food - ideally to be held and eaten from one hand, but at a push go for a tray in one hand and fork in the other - must be capable of being eaten whilst stood/walking.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 15th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 12,194 Posts
    • 22,839 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Hog roast in a humongous bread roll with apple sauce and onion.

German hot dogs (bratwurst or similar).

Curry and rice/naan.

Mulled wine, beer, cider, soft drinks etc.

Tea and coffee.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 15th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    Don't forget a row of port-a-loos ! After munching their way through that lot your customers will need them !
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 55,990 Posts
    • 321,746 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think you trying to decide who to allow/not is a bit dictatorial, that might leave a sour taste in the mouths of traders when you require support for future events of a similar nature.

It might, instead, say, be 'fairer' to have quotas. e.g. making it up at random, say:

"Maximum of X% to be food stalls, made up of the first 15 that apply, then the rest names drawn from a hat as the total number of stalls increases"

That way it's a 'fair' system without it just being all food traders.

You could also see if other towns/events have lists of traders on their websites, so you can see the mix that other towns have got away with. Many these days will have a dedicated website for an event, with a full list of traders and even a little map of their layout, so you can count up food/non-food traders to see what number they found acceptable for comparison.

Although, now I read it again, it sounds like you've ONE food stall - I read it as meaning you have too many food stalls wanting to be there, so you felt that there'd be ALL food .... I'm reading it wrong aren't I.

In which case: I'd not want poncy, overpriced, nonsense food .... no organic/artisan/hand-pressed .... simple hot dogs at £2.50 with onions and ketchup for me .... not Tom Bakers' breads and River Cottage hand-reared pulled pork with artisan apple sauce at £6.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-10-2016 at 7:58 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 55,990 Posts
    • 321,746 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Don't forget a row of port-a-loos ! After munching their way through that lot your customers will need them !
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    I'd not bother for an event of this type. If it's in a town there'll be the usual public and local business loos - and people will have planned their pee breaks around a short visit of 2-3 hours somewhere that's just a market.

It doesn't sound to me like "Biggest event to ever hit the UK. Spend the entire day and bring a coach load of people with you" more "some stalls in a part of the town that's got the space spare - where our target audience will be mostly passing through once they see our jolly lights"
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 15th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I'd not bother for an event of this type. If it's in a town there'll be the usual public and local business loos - and people will have planned their pee breaks around a short visit of 2-3 hours somewhere that's just a market.

It doesn't sound to me like "Biggest event to ever hit the UK. Spend the entire day and bring a coach load of people with you" more "some stalls in a part of the town that's got the space spare - where our target audience will be mostly passing through once they see our jolly lights"
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I know but it was a bit tongue-in-cheek after reading the long 'menu' of very rich dishes suggested in our posts !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

429Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter