Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerriberry414
    • By kerriberry414 15th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kerriberry414
    Do i have a claim?
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    Do i have a claim? 15th Oct 16 at 10:23 AM
    I moved house in June. The property had key meters installed which were due to be changed originally a week or two after I moved in. However the day came and the man didn't show up for work and therefore they had to rearrange for them to come change them. It was another 2 weeks before they came. The whole reason it was changing was due to it being too expensive for me. At the time I had called up to register with npower. They said if I registered then that I would have to wait for the meters to be changed as the maintenance needs 2 weeks notice so I didn't register however then they didn't turn up the first time so I had to wait as explained. The letting company had paid for the 2 weeks gas and electric before I moved in however I had to pay for the two weeks after all due because the engineer didn't turn up for work. After the meters were put in I called and registered but they couldn't give me the energy tariffs because the gas meter was saying it hadn't been changed. A few months later I get a bill when they said they would contact me to talk about tarrifs. I had been put on standard Tarrif when there was a cheaper one that I would have gone on via direct debit but I didn't get that chance. Do I have a claim for either of the issues? Thanks
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    I moved house in June. The property had key meters installed which were due to be changed originally a week or two after I moved in. However the day came and the man didn't show up for work and therefore they had to rearrange for them to come change them. It was another 2 weeks before they came. The whole reason it was changing was due to it being too expensive for me. At the time I had called up to register with npower. They said if I registered then that I would have to wait for the meters to be changed as the maintenance needs 2 weeks notice so I didn't register however then they didn't turn up the first time so I had to wait as explained. The letting company had paid for the 2 weeks gas and electric before I moved in however I had to pay for the two weeks after all due because the engineer didn't turn up for work. After the meters were put in I called and registered but they couldn't give me the energy tariffs because the gas meter was saying it hadn't been changed. A few months later I get a bill when they said they would contact me to talk about tarrifs. I had been put on standard Tarrif when there was a cheaper one that I would have gone on via direct debit but I didn't get that chance. Do I have a claim for either of the issues? Thanks
    Originally posted by kerriberry414
    Hello, and welcome to MSE, kerriberry414

If you think you have cause for complaint, then I recommend you make one in line with the suppliers complaint procedure.

You will get a response
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 15th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    Autumnella
    • 15th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    You could ask them to compensate you for the different between what you have paid on their prepayment tariff and the cheapest normal meter tariff they have available.

You will also be entitled to £30 compensation for the missed appointment. I would push for this to be £60, £30 for each meter. If they also haven't logged your account for investigation when they first found out about the missed appointment that's another £30 you are owed. These are Ofgems rules as well not the suppliers so don't let them tell you otherwise.
    • LewisHamilton
    • By LewisHamilton 16th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    LewisHamilton
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    Regarding the missed appointment, you should receive £30 if you have not already received this. If you have not received this payment or npower did not send this to you within 10 working days after you made it aware of the failed appointment then you should receive £60.

Regarding the tariff rates, npower should cover the difference in rates between the amount it billed you on and rates of its cheapest available tariff as a gesture of goodwill. This should be done from the date of the failed appointment to the end of the billing period on your first bill. I would say this would be reasonable as you have experienced shortfalls in customer service and it did not get in contact with you about the tariffs despite promising to do so. You only became aware of the rates after receiving the first bill.
  • nPower company representative
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    Hi kerriberry414

Thanks for your post.

The other posters are correct, if an appointment's failed due to an issue outside the customer's control, then you should qualify for a Guaranteed Standards payment of £30. If we don't send this within 10 days then you're eligible for another to recognise the delay.

If you can contact us using the details on our profile page with your account info, up to date meter readings and what tariff you're looking for, then we'll be more than happy to calculate the difference in cost and reimburse this to you.

Kind regards

Jess
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter