Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bradley15
    • By bradley15 14th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bradley15
    Tax credits/Child Benefit/Housing Benefit
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    Tax credits/Child Benefit/Housing Benefit 14th Oct 16 at 10:56 PM
    Hi, can anyone tell me if having tax credits stopped effects child benefit and housing benefit.
    I have asked for mandatory reconsideration so waiting to hear from that, I rang again yesterday but they said not on system yet so i'm not sure if they have even received my papers so im thinking should I send them again by registered post as my letter was dated 26th sept and i'm getting anxious about running out of time. I have my young brother and sister living with me (since july 2015) and have been getting tax credits and child benefit for them cos of our mums breakdown and kids dad is awol. Letter says I haven't given them info they asked for so credits stopped because I apparently don't have any responsibility for the kids from the time of my claim to now, I had no letter from them only the one about credits stopping. I have spent the last 14mth looking after siblings boy 11yrs girl 9yrs and working p/t with my own life on hold (im only 23yrs) . My nan/grandad helps me but no one else they are going to pay my rent next month if its not sorted. Will it affect child and housing benefit cos i'm worried they are going to stop next I can't manage more than 2 months like this . Sorry for the long rant but ive got nobody to talk to about this .
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    If child benefit also believe you aren't responsible for the children then yes they could stop but it won't stop as a direct result of not getting tax credits.

Many people get child benefit without child tax credits, myself included
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 15th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    dippy3103
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    If the HB office have not been advised the kids are with you then they won'5 have been added to your household,
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 15th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 14,334 Posts
    • 36,490 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    Is the issue that there is an overlap between someone else (your mum?) still claiming CB/TC for them and when you said you started to care for them and claim?
    • bradley15
    • By bradley15 15th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bradley15
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    I don't know what the issue is I explained everything when claiming all 3 benefits about the kids I assumed my mum wasn't claiming anymore cos she hadn't paid any rent or bills for months before she was evicted and I gave both tax credits and child benefit details for my mum' last address and the address she went to stay at before I took the kids in. It n u st angers me that they just say I haven't been responsible for the past year when they have been living with me since july 2015. We have a social worker who has drafted a letter so has school to send to tax credits office , housing benefit office know also as I told them when I claimed. I am feeling so angry about this because if it wasn't for me and my nan the kids would have gone into care but I now feel like a criminal .
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 15th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    I understand that you are angry but if they send you a letter and Royal Mail don't return it to them as undelivered then they have to assume you received it.

If you think they are lying about the letter then you can put in a subject access request for proof.
    • bradley15
    • By bradley15 15th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bradley15
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    I'm not saying their lying about sending a letter i'm just saying I did not receive a letter asking for any info. If I had received such a letter I would be a dam fool to ignore it (unless of course I am trying to pull a fast one and pretending to look after a couple of kids when all the time I am spending the money on beer and fags) .
    • pebsi1973
    • By pebsi1973 16th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pebsi1973
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    tax credits say im earning more than i actually am
    • 16th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    Just been on tax credits to let them know about my pay rise, gone through all the access and this that and the other to get onto it and adjust, then to find out that I've apparently been getting paid from work £712 more than what I'm being paid now, and that is after my pay rise. Am I right in thinking I've been dealt I hard blow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin