Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Kivell
    • By Kivell 14th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    How long can a council keep an appeal
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    How long can a council keep an appeal 14th Oct 16 at 10:30 PM
    I received a ticket from Trafford council for not displaying a ticket (I didn't buy one as machine was broken).

I appeal the PCN on the Monday via email and received an auto response

"Thank you for your enquiry.
    We are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries which may result in a delay in responding of several weeks.
    If you have submitted a parking appeal, your case will be placed on hold until a response can be sent."

My question is how long can the council hold you in limbo?
    I don't want this hanging over me for weeks/months. I also don't want to forget about it and not notice a response on a random day and end up paying more.
Page 1
    • Kivell
    • By Kivell 14th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    I also included photo evidence with appeal, but I can't seem to add that here.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 39,309 Posts
    • 50,882 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    They have to get to NTO (postal PCN sent to the owner) stage within six months of this 'driver' stage.

Normally they will respond after about a month, OF COURSE rejecting the appeal (I hope you realise how the game works?). They'll dangle the carrot of the discount bribe again too - how generous...not.

Most people can in fact win appeals at NTO or (3rd stage) an 'adjudication' meeting like they show Caroline Sheppard doing on the TV show 'Parking Wars'. But councils dangle that discount like it's some sort of bargain and make people think a rejection is final.

There are 3 stages here, should be resolved after Christmas. That IS NOT a reason to just pay! The maximum risk is the PCN sum.

If the machine was broken, did it direct you to another nearby machine or offer pay-by-phone as an alternative?
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 14-10-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,050Posts Today

7,007Users online

Martin's Twitter