Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Becles
    • By Becles 14th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 12,809Posts
    • 25,592Thanks
    Becles
    Child with a part time job
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    Child with a part time job 14th Oct 16 at 9:09 PM
    My son is 17 and is at college full time but he got a job working weekends in a shop. He's contracted for 10 hours a week.

Someone is off sick this week, so he's been asked to do some extra hours and will be working 19 hours this week. They've said there may be a possibility of more hours in the run up to Christmas but it will be sorted week by week depending on the workload.

He's on my child tax credits claim. I know it would stop if he was contracted for 24+ hours a week, but does it stop if he goes over 24 hours on occasional weeks? I'd rather know and inform them if that does happen than run up an over payment.
    Here I go again on my own....
Page 1
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 14th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 18,985 Posts
    • 30,505 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    If he's in FE I don't think it makes any difference how many hours he works. This link says you tell them if he leaves approved education and starts a job of 24hrs or more

https://www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit-when-child-reaches-16
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 14th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    As PP said, if in full time non advanced education then there is no limit to how many hours he can work.
    • Becles
    • By Becles 14th Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    • 12,809 Posts
    • 25,592 Thanks
    Becles
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    Thanks

He'll be pleased to know that. He's saving up for an expensive optional college trip to America as I said he would have to get a job and pay towards it, so he's keen to work the extra hours.
    Here I go again on my own....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,690Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter