Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vivvov
    • By vivvov 14th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 19Thanks
    vivvov
    Channel 4 Catch up..Ad Blocker alert
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    Channel 4 Catch up..Ad Blocker alert 14th Oct 16 at 8:32 PM
    Hello Folks
    Hardly watch telly but on occasions have used Catch up on channel 4.
    Never had a problem with it but went to look at something recently...Speed/Gut Martin episodes...and over the last month or so it's gone from having occasional meltdown message about channel 4 relying on adverts...seem to be running ad blocker message to the message being displayed constantly....whatever the browser..Chrome IE or FF
    I haven't intentionally downloaded and ad blocker but looked into it and managed to get ABP to be on the tool bar and did what channel 4 said to do...click and turn off ABP specifically for C4....no luck same message.
    Thought I bet folks are having same problem...so search the forum. Back in 2014!!
    So followed the 2014 advice..installed sandboxie..and went through there..no luck.
    Removed ABP (no idea how)..no luck.
    Avast icon popped up in the same place as ABP icon (top right)..opened Avast icon...opened and switched off the tabs..no luck...
    Deleted Malawarebytes programme..deleted Silverlight..not really knowing what I'm doing but thinking this has happened in the last month or so..best to remove something and see...no luck
    I go to channel 4 catch up and it gives me the bums rush.
    OH tried her lap top....same thing.

Any ideas anyone? I'm hopeless luddite so simple sentences please.

Thanks in advance.
    vivvov
    OH tried her
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 14th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 6,793 Posts
    • 4,764 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    You could try creating a new browser profile for testing to see if that helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/139705/how-to-use-multiple-browser-profiles-in-any-browser/
    • Big Graeme
    • By Big Graeme 15th Oct 16, 1:12 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 3,686 Thanks
    Big Graeme
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:12 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:12 AM
    I had to disable Adblock Plus everywhere to get it to play. The only ads are short videos like normal tv ads no pop ups.
    • vivvov
    • By vivvov 15th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    vivvov
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    No luck with creating a new browser profile....still the same message.
    ...when you say everywhere Big Graeme...where is everywhere?...is there a prescribed approach of seeking and destroying?
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 15th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    Have you installed a custom HOSTS file by any chance? The MVP HOSTS file will trigger C4's adblock detection.
    • vivvov
    • By vivvov 16th Oct 16, 3:43 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    vivvov
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:43 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 3:43 PM
    Have you installed a custom HOSTS file by any chance? The MVP HOSTS file will trigger C4's adblock detection.
    Originally posted by fenlander_uk
    .....I've a quite basic knowledge and so don't actually know what a HOSTS file is (before I just googled it a second ago!)...so I don't think I have installed one but could I have downloaded a programme that installed a HOSTS file?
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    Unlikely. You have to jump through a hoop or two to change HOSTS, so I think you'd know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

4,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin