Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fc123
    • By fc123 14th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 6,393Posts
    • 28,316Thanks
    fc123
    HB does it cover service charge in sheltered housing?
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    HB does it cover service charge in sheltered housing? 14th Oct 16 at 8:14 PM
    Hi as per the title, my MIL has been offered a sheltered housing flat (and it's perfect and she wants to accept it though the official viewing isn't until next Tuesday) however the rent and service charge is cut up as follows;
    Rent; £131.42
    Service charge; £59.
    She is currently in a private rental and the LHA for the area for 1 person is £161.02 pwk.

The flat she has been offered is 2 bed, though she put 1 bed reqd on the form and has been assisted throughout this whole process by a care-worker. They know she is single so I can't see they have made an error.

She is fretting about the service charge as she is on state pension and pension credit.
    I have googled and come across something called 'Supported people grant'. Does she claim this? Or would she receive the LHA of £161.02 and then have to top it up out of her pension income?

The sheltered housing is new build and has been offered through the council but is a HA I think.
Page 2
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 17th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 11,545 Posts
    • 16,796 Thanks
    nannytone
    I can't see anything wrong with a tenant having to make a modest contribution towards their rent as long as it's within their budget.
    Originally posted by boliston
    lets take my example.
    LHA 1 bed rate £81
    cjeapest 1 bed private let £100
    most expensive 1 bed private let £120.

add a premium of 10% for 'security' £110 - £132.

LHA shortfall £29 - £41 a week.

JSA £73
    ESA 109

nit such a 'modest' top up.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 17th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    boliston
    lets take my example.
    LHA 1 bed rate £81
    cjeapest 1 bed private let £100
    most expensive 1 bed private let £120.

add a premium of 10% for 'security' £110 - £132.

LHA shortfall £29 - £41 a week.

JSA £73
    ESA 109

nit such a 'modest' top up.
    Originally posted by nannytone
    All well and good BUT if social housing is available so cheaply why does anyone ever rent privately?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Oct 16, 1:17 AM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    All well and good BUT if social housing is available so cheaply why does anyone ever rent privately?
    Originally posted by boliston

Because the social housing is all taken.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 18th Oct 16, 6:07 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Because the social housing is all taken.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Also, in our area, there isn't that much of it. Certainly compared to the need for rental accommodation
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 18th Oct 16, 7:14 AM
    • 4,327 Posts
    • 6,020 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Because to get social housing you have to get the council to agree you meet their criteria for social housing (are a vulnerable person/family) and then wait for however long it takes to get a high enough priority to be successful bidding for social housing or be offered it.

In my area, there are in a good week, 2 x 3 bed properties on the bidding list. Quite often there are none. I would imagine there are more than 2 families per week being added to the list (given LHA is £750 per month and private rentals are over £1,100). Certainly I don't seem to be moving up the priority list. I've been told I will be in emergency housing for 4 years.

Imagine if you aren't homeless lol!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter