Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wogglesmum
    • By wogglesmum 14th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 6Thanks
    wogglesmum
    Curry's and sale of goods act - help!
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    Curry's and sale of goods act - help! 14th Oct 16 at 6:22 PM
    Hi,

I bought a Hoover washing machine from Currys 19 months ago for £260. A couple of weeks ago it started making a burning smell and hubby has had the motor out and tells me that two of the communators have broken off.

I have lodged a claim through Sale of Goods Act, but they are saying that I have to pay £119 for an engineer to visit which they will then refund if the engineer deems it to be a manufacturing fault.

Does this sounds right?

Thanks in advance for your help
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    Yes that's right after 6 months its up to you to proof via an independent engineers report .
    • wogglesmum
    • By wogglesmum 14th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wogglesmum
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    But surely the engineer they send is not going to be independent?
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 14th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,187 Thanks
    anmarj
    As it after six months it would be up to you to prove it is inherently faulty from date of purchase, you can always find yourself an independent engineer to do the report, so could be cheaper, if the fault is found to be inherently faulty the Currys would refund the cost of that report
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    But surely the engineer they send is not going to be independent?
    Originally posted by wogglesmum

Your choice and you may find that << burning smell and hubby has had the motor out >>>
    Could and i say could possibly invalidate any claim .So don't say that its been stripped down .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 14-10-2016 at 6:41 PM.
    • wogglesmum
    • By wogglesmum 14th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wogglesmum
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    Yes I'd already considered that! He was trying to help!
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 14th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    will hubbys having the back off and tinkering not have an effect on this?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 15,643 Posts
    • 11,344 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    will hubbys having the back off and tinkering not have an effect on this?
    Originally posted by NotRichAtAll
    You seem to be saying the same as JJ Egan in post #5 but over 2 hours later.
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 15th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    You seem to be saying the same as JJ Egan in post #5 but over 2 hours later.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

maybe i did'nt read the whole thread, does it really matter so much that you felt the need to say something. i note that you have not responded to the ops thread at all so i will take your reply to me as a kind of trollish act.

have a nice day.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 15,643 Posts
    • 11,344 Thanks
    agrinnall
    maybe i did'nt read the whole thread, does it really matter so much that you felt the need to say something. i note that you have not responded to the ops thread at all so i will take your reply to me as a kind of trollish act.

have a nice day.
    Originally posted by NotRichAtAll
    There was no need for me to respond to the OP as the answers were already given, so anything I said would simply be an unnecessary duplication, which is what your response was.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 8,595 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Hi,

I bought a Hoover washing machine from Currys 19 months ago for £260. A couple of weeks ago it started making a burning smell and hubby has had the motor out and tells me that two of the communators have broken off.

I have lodged a claim through Sale of Goods Act, but they are saying that I have to pay £119 for an engineer to visit which they will then refund if the engineer deems it to be a manufacturing fault.

Does this sounds right?

Thanks in advance for your help
    If "hubby" can get the motor out then it should be pretty easy (and inexpensive) for him to replace the carbon brushes which I believe is what he means, rather than the commutator itself.

Plenty of youtube videos to help.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 15-10-2016 at 2:15 PM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 9,760 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    If "hubby" can get the motor out then it should be pretty easy (and inexpensive) for him to replace the carbon brushes.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Assuming that it is the brushes (more than likely) and not the actual commutator that is broken as stated in the opening post.
    Even if it is the brushes, these should wear down fairly slowly and if they are actually broken then there must be other damage that caused this to happen.
    Personally, I would stick to trying to get a repair out of Currys or the manufacturer and only if this failed, then get hubby to try a repair.
    If there is damage to the motor, there are quite a few small businesses who will either repair it or do a unit exchange.
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 15-10-2016 at 2:19 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 8,595 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Going by the OP's description it doesn't sound like the commutator. With regards to wear I suppose it comes down to how much the machine gets used. I replaced the brushes on my Bosch after 10 years but then I only used it once a week. If the OP has a family and is using the machine often with multiple loads I can see the brushes wearing out fairly quickly.

What you don't want is to have to spend £119 for an engineer's visit only to be told the fault is down to excessive wear & tear, especially when you pick up a set of rbushes for £15 and sort the problem yourself.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 15-10-2016 at 2:52 PM.
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 15th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    There was no need for me to respond to the OP as the answers were already given, so anything I said would simply be an unnecessary duplication, which is what your response was.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    and you felt it was your moral duty to point this out.....................
    • wogglesmum
    • By wogglesmum 21st Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wogglesmum
    Just an update incase anyone is interested...

I paid the £119 as I couldn't find a replacement motor for less than £135. They arranged to come the following day with the replacement parts. The engineer who came agreed that it was a manufacturing fault (bits had sheared off the commutator destroying one of the brushes completely) and replaced the motor. I was called today to arrange a refund of my £119. Actually can't fault what has happened.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 22nd Oct 16, 7:52 AM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Just an update incase anyone is interested...

I paid the £119 as I couldn't find a replacement motor for less than £135. They arranged to come the following day with the replacement parts. The engineer who came agreed that it was a manufacturing fault (bits had sheared off the commutator destroying one of the brushes completely) and replaced the motor. I was called today to arrange a refund of my £119. Actually can't fault what has happened.
    Thanks for coming back. The fact they found an inherent fault means you should and did, quite rightly, get the report fee back.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

753Posts Today

5,697Users online

Martin's Twitter