Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 14th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 82Posts
    • 38Thanks
    MSE Faye
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days 14th Oct 16 at 5:41 PM
    From 1 November you must pay to reserve a seat if you want to check in more than four days before you fly...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 16th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    TheShape
    It's always been handy with Ryanair to check-in for both outbound flights and return flights before you fly. It was just something you didn't have to sort out while you were away.

Used Norwegian Airlines recently and was lucky enough to have a computer and printer in the hotel lobby in Oslo. I expect 15 minutes in an Oslo internet cafe would have cost more than the flights.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 17th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 18,113 Posts
    • 83,010 Thanks
    michaels
    This is the new customer service friendly Ryanair I see.

Presumably if this change does result in them earning more from airport check-ins from those unable to check in during the 4 day window the extra revenue will be donated to charity....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 17th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    This is the new customer service friendly Ryanair I see.

Presumably if this change does result in them earning more from airport check-ins from those unable to check in during the 4 day window the extra revenue will be donated to charity....
    Originally posted by michaels
    Unable to check-in online for FOUR DAYS ?
    I suppose if Ryanair did space shuttles to Mars it might be a problem ...
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 17th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 3,009 Thanks
    stoneman
    I download the Ryanair app.I register with Ryanair.I book.I check-in online.My ticket appears on my'phone.
    It's also on my tablet as a fall-back option if anything should happen to my 'phone.
    What could be simpler ?
    Never once had a single problem on any one of hundreds of Ryanair flights I've taken which have ALWAYS been the cheapest flight,often flying out of places no other airline would be arsed to fly to.
    Well done Mickey O.
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    Because if you are not an eu citizen like me RA do not allow you to use the app as a boarding pass. You must have a printed copy
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 19th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Of course there is force involved. Why do you think Ryanair have done this? They clearly wish to extract more money from customers, in the full know that people generally holiday for 7 days and that they were able to print both sets of Boarding Cards prior to leaving.

Before you restate the sometimes valid argument that you can always use an electronic form of the Boarding Card, let me inform you that if you are travelling from Marrakech then you currently cannot use an electronic version of the Boarding Card. Therefore if you wish to avoid paying for a seat then you will have to rely on the generosity of your hotel or you will need to search out an internet cafe.

My view is that they ought not to have imposed this on any current booking, since fundamentally it is a change to the terms and conditions after the contract has been struck.
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 19th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    Of course there is force involved. Why do you think Ryanair have done this? They clearly wish to extract more money from customers, in the full know that people generally holiday for 7 days and that they were able to print both sets of Boarding Cards prior to leaving.

Before you restate the sometimes valid argument that you can always use an electronic form of the Boarding Card, let me inform you that if you are travelling from Marrakech then you currently cannot use an electronic version of the Boarding Card. Therefore if you wish to avoid paying for a seat then you will have to rely on the generosity of your hotel or you will need to search out an internet cafe.

My view is that they ought not to have imposed this on any current booking, since fundamentally it is a change to the terms and conditions after the contract has been struck.
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Garbage.

I have flown from RAK a number of times and there is an internet cafe right in the corner of Jama el Efna (the main sq).

You are more than happy paying their low prices when compared to other carriers, but too lazy to go and print off a boarding pass.

People like you are self entitled. Ryanair flies into and out of 200 destinations across 33 countries. There are 10 airports you cant yet check in from using a mobile device, most of those are in Morocco.

Don't like the policy - Don't fly with the airline.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 19th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Garbage.

I have flown from RAK a number of times and there is an internet cafe right in the corner of Jama el Efna (the main sq).

You are more than happy paying their low prices when compared to other carriers, but too lazy to go and print off a boarding pass.

People like you are self entitled. Ryanair flies into and out of 200 destinations across 33 countries. There are 10 airports you cant yet check in from using a mobile device, most of those are in Morocco.

Originally posted by Mr Wangers Wang
    How can what I said possibly be garbage when you have just admitted in your response that airports in Morocco do not allow that which I said that they didn't allow?

What I said is true, and therefore it is not "garbage".
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 19th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    How can what I said possibly be garbage when you have just admitted in your response that airports in Morocco do not allow that which I said that they didn't allow?

What I said is true, and therefore it is not "garbage".
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Your post was geared around being forced.

That is what is garbage.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 19th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Your post was geared around being forced.

That is what is garbage.
    To reiterate. What I said is true and therefore it is not "garbage".
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 19th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    glider3560

I believe the main issue here is that Ryanair have changed the policy after people have booked and are not honoring the existing conditions.

In other news, received my refund today. Booked alternative flights on the same day, which are substantially cheaper. So it worked out well for me!
    Last edited by glider3560; 19-10-2016 at 8:58 PM.

• cowboy
    • By cowboy 19th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    Got my refund today in full too, including credit card fees.

The boarding pass app is a good idea, but limited only to EU passport holders, so no good for me as I'm not European. Why they have such limit, I have no idea.

In the past, 7 days is just enough time for me to print out the boarding pass for both trips, but now the best I can do is print out the outward boarding pass but not the return before the trip.

The argument about finding internet cafe to print out the boarding pass - yes you can do that but there's added time, effort and cost. Ryanair may be cheap, but these are all hidden costs and causing problems to customers.
    Last edited by cowboy; 19-10-2016 at 9:05 PM.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 19th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    glider3560
    The argument about finding internet cafe to print out the boarding pass - yes you can do that but there's added time, effort and cost.
    Originally posted by cowboy
    This can be a lot more difficult than people make out.

Long before the boarding pass app, I was staying in a small village on Ibiza, relying on public transport. Only three buses per day to San Antonio. Went into town on the first bus of the day, but all the internet cafes were closed (hungover people land). Had to wait until the afternoon until one opened (which meant wasting the best part of a day), who charged €2 to use the computer plus €1 for each printout.

The hotel refused to do any printing for us, even if we paid.

• cowboy
    • By cowboy 19th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    This can be a lot more difficult than people make out.

Long before the boarding pass app, I was staying in a small village on Ibiza, relying on public transport. Only three buses per day to San Antonio. Went into town on the first bus of the day, but all the internet cafes were closed (hungover people land). Had to wait until the afternoon until one opened (which meant wasting the best part of a day), who charged €2 to use the computer plus €1 for each printout.

The hotel refused to do any printing for us, even if we paid.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Yes, exactly.. It's not always easy. I can hardly find internet cafe anywhere these days....
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 19th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    fifeken
    The boarding pass app is a good idea, but limited only to EU passport holders, so no good for me as I'm not European. Why they have such limit, I have no idea.
    Non-EU passport holders may require a visa for many of their destinations, so they want to see this before a passenger goes through airport security to the gate area.
    • cowboy
    • By cowboy 19th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    Non-EU passport holders may require a visa for many of their destinations, so they want to see this before a passenger goes through airport security to the gate area.
    Originally posted by fifeken
    Make no sense because I could still check-in online and print the boarding pass without showing them my visa.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 19th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    glider3560
    Make no sense because I could still check-in online and print the boarding pass without showing them my visa.
    My understanding is that this methodology reduces time at the boarding gate, as visas do not need to be checked. It also means that they don't have to train the gate agents about visas etc, just the person at the document check desk needs the training.

• cowboy
    • By cowboy 19th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    My understanding is that this methodology reduces time at the boarding gate, as visas do not need to be checked. It also means that they don't have to train the gate agents about visas etc, just the person at the document check desk needs the training.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    I understand, but my point is... no one is checking my visa anyway even without the boarding pass app. I could still check-in online and print my boarding pass online, so why am I not allowed to use the boarding pass app as it serves the same purpose as online check-in/printing boarding pass?

If you don't check-in online...well airport check-in is a hefty £45 by Ryanair.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 19th Oct 16, 9:38 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    fifeken
    I understand, but my point is... no one is checking my visa anyway even without the boarding pass app. I could still check-in online and print my boarding pass online, so why am I not allowed to use the boarding pass app as it serves the same purpose as online check-in/printing boarding pass?
    The printed boarding pass is endorsed by the visa checker. They can't do that with a mobile boarding pass.

No endorsement on the boarding pass and a non-EU passport means you will be refused boarding at the gate.
    • cowboy
    • By cowboy 19th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    The printed boarding pass is endorsed by the visa checker. They can't do that with a mobile boarding pass.

No endorsement on the boarding pass and a non-EU passport means you will be refused boarding at the gate.
    Originally posted by fifeken
    Not sure what you meant by a visa checker .... or the difference between a self-printed boarding pass vs a digital copy of the boarding pass. Anyway, the bottom line is... the boarding pass app is not available to everyone so it's not an option (at least for me).
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 19th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    fifeken
    Not sure what you meant by a visa checker .... or the difference between a self-printed boarding pass vs a digital copy of the boarding pass. Anyway, the bottom line is... the boarding pass app is not available to everyone so it's not an option (at least for me).
    Have you ever flown with Ryanair?

Here is the explanation from their own website which may help clarify what I was trying to say.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/passports-and-visas/im-a-non-eu-eea-passenger-do-I-need-extra-travel-document-visa-check
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

5,932Users online

Martin's Twitter