Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 14th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 38Thanks
    MSE Faye
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days 14th Oct 16 at 5:41 PM
    From 1 November you must pay to reserve a seat if you want to check in more than four days before you fly...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • zaax
    • By zaax 14th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    zaax
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    Which means you pay if you want to check-in before you leave for your holiday for your return flight, or check-in whislt your holiday and find somewhere to print it, pray your phone is not stolen in the last 4 days
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days
    Why am I not surprised by such a misleading statement on MSE?

Online check in is free whenever you do it. It's just you can do it earlier if you want to pre-book seats.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    Interesting - I've just booked a return coming back on 5th Nov and it clearly states in the booking confirmation that I can check in free 7 days before. So hopefully applies to check-in's after 1st Nov not flights after 1st Nov.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:33 PM

Online check in is free whenever you do it. It's just you can do it earlier if you want to pre-book seats.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Why am I not surprised by such pedantry on MSE forums Online check in isn't really "free" at 30 days if you are forced to purchase something in order to be able to do it.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 14th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    Why am I not surprised by such pedantry on MSE forums Online check in isn't really "free" at 30 days if you are forced to purchase something in order to be able to do it.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.
    Yawn.......
    • cowboy
    • By cowboy 14th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    Does anyone know if I can get a full refund (including all fees) for cancelling my flight because of this? I spoke to the live chat and they said the customer service will get back to me in 7-10 days.. I'm currently abroad and can't phone them up.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    Does anyone know if I can get a full refund (including all fees) for cancelling my flight because of this? I spoke to the live chat and they said the customer service will get back to me in 7-10 days.. I'm currently abroad and can't phone them up.
    Originally posted by cowboy
    I asked the same and got the same response.

The flights have come down in price about £80 per person since booking, so I'm very keen on getting a refund and booking again now!

• cowboy
    • By cowboy 14th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cowboy
    I asked the same and got the same response.

The flights have come down in price about £80 per person since booking, so I'm very keen on getting a refund and booking again now!
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Yeah, very cheeky of them cos we can only ask for refund/cancel within 5 days of the change in checkin policy notification (i.e. before 18th of October).

If anyone can phone them up to ask about the refund, please could you let us know here?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    glider3560
    Yeah, very cheeky of them cos we can only ask for refund/cancel within 5 days of the change in checkin policy notification (i.e. before 18th of October).

If anyone can phone them up to ask about the refund, please could you let us know here?
    Originally posted by cowboy
    I also asked them which condition in their terms and conditions allowed them to modify the conditions with five days notice. They couldn't tell me.

• daydream_believer
    • By daydream_believer 14th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    daydream_believer
    It states on my email that customers who do not wish to accept the policy change have the right to cancel and request a refund.

coped and pasted from bottom of email:

T&Cs: Please note: Affected customers who do not wish to accept this policy change have the right to cancel and request a refund (contact options) within 5 days from notification, after which the change will be regarded as implicitly accepted.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 14th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 7,787 Posts
    • 4,743 Thanks
    bigadaj
    You are Michael o'leary and I claim my five pounds.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 15th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    I download the Ryanair app.I register with Ryanair.I book.I check-in online.My ticket appears on my'phone.
    It's also on my tablet as a fall-back option if anything should happen to my 'phone.
    What could be simpler ?
    Never once had a single problem on any one of hundreds of Ryanair flights I've taken which have ALWAYS been the cheapest flight,often flying out of places no other airline would be arsed to fly to.
    Well done Mickey O.
    • photome
    • By photome 15th Oct 16, 8:50 AM
    • 11,997 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome

Not sure I understand that statement.

Are you saying online check in is free at anytime but only if you buy something else?

If that's what you are saying it clearly isn't free at anytime
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    I download the Ryanair app.I register with Ryanair.I book.I check-in online.My ticket appears on my'phone.
    It's also on my tablet as a fall-back option if anything should happen to my 'phone.
    What could be simpler ?
    Never once had a single problem on any one of hundreds of Ryanair flights I've taken which have ALWAYS been the cheapest flight,often flying out of places no other airline would be arsed to fly to.
    Well done Mickey O.
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    Though they don't seem to have an app for Windows phone, only iPhone and Android. I don't have a tablet. A pdf of the boarding pass apparently isn't good enough (I was stood behind someone who was trying to get through with a pdf on his phone - wouldn't accept it).

So if they don't let me checkin on the 30th for my return on the 5th I'll have to ask the B&B I'm staying at to print my boarding pass. Not a big deal, but they're not going to force me to pay for a seat
    • dggar
    • By dggar 15th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    dggar

what is the difference between booking a seat and pre-booking a seat
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 15th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    Ryanair was and still is the best thing that has happened to European air travel in the past 3 decades.

People are either too stupid or too blinded by hate in the media to realise that.

I've flown all over the continent with them, well over 150 flights, including a very regular UK - Madrid (about 30 times this year) and never had a single issue with them. I use the app, don't print boarding passes and usually travel light.

Fantastic airline.
    Last edited by Mr Wangers Wang; 15-10-2016 at 11:40 AM.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    Ryanair was and still is the best thing that has happened to European air travel in the past 3 decades.

People are either too stupid or too blinded by hate in the media to realise that.

I've flown all over the continent with them, well over 150 flights, including a very regular UK - Madrid (about 30 times this year) and never had a single issue with them. I use the app, don't print boarding passes and usually travel light.

Fantastic airline.
    Originally posted by Mr Wangers Wang
    Who hates Ryanair? MSE certainly don't nor any forumites I've seen. You just need to keep a step ahead of them and some of their sneaky T&C changes, and you'll get dirt cheap flights and a very efficient service. It's not "hate" for MSE or forumites to point out when their T&C's change and discuss how to avoid paying more than you have to. It's what any proper MSE'er does

I guess some snobby elements of the media might hate them, particularly those who like to think of air travel as something exclusive, only available to posh people. I really like how they've given snotty airlines like BA a good kick up the rear and made air travel more like getting a bus, for those who just like to travel and get somewhere quickly and efficiently without any of the superficial fluff designed to make insecure people feel they're something special.

And they're winning as BA and others are now moving towards the Ryanair model, cutting free food, seat selection charges etc. Long may it continue, and long may MSE keep us informed of how to get the best value from them
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 15th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    Autumnella
    We checked in at the airport using the app (as had a problem checking in beforehand, which their customer service desk was very helpful with) using the airports free WiFi, and because we were the last people to check in we ended up with the extra leg room seats. ��
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter