Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Changing
    • By Changing 14th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Changing
    BT only guarantee wired connection?
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    BT only guarantee wired connection? 14th Oct 16 at 5:16 PM
    We switched from Sky Broadband to BT on August 18th this year. We had no problems at all with Sky but at the end of our contract we opted for a better deal and BT were advising their new Smart Hub with ‘the most powerful wifi’ so we switched to them. We immediately began having problems with our internet and contacted them on the 22nd August to advise them of this. Since then we have had numerous phone calls, been advised of a fault on our line which has been fixed, had an engineer fail to turn up for an appointment and had the hub replaced but the problem is still there. We are convinced the problem is with the Smart Hub even though it has been replaced as we had no problems whatsoever with our Sky broadband. The hub just completely crashes sometimes but BT have told us that if an engineer comes out and the problem is with the hub WE will be charged £129. As BT are unable to fix the problem we have asked for our contract to be cancelled. The problem is they have refused as they say they do not guarantee wi fi, only a wired connection and as the wired connection works they believe we have an adequate service. We strongly disagree. They very clearly advertise the Smart Hub and a wi fi service as a huge selling point and that is what we signed up for. We have checked the terms and conditions repeatedly and can’t see anywhere that says they only guarantee a wired connection.

We feel like we are banging our heads against the wall with this. I’m studying a degree which is mostly online and I can’t rely on the service for doing course work but BT are adamant we are getting the service that they are contractually obliged to deliver. We feel like we have been duped and deceived.
    Any thoughts anyone?
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    Have you tried your equipment on someone else's wifi system,to rule out the possibility that your laptop (for instance) has developed a fault with its wifi reception ?
    • Changing
    • By Changing 14th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Changing
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    Yes, it all works fine. In fact I'm on my laptop on someone else's wifi now. It's not just the laptop that loses it it's everything and you can see the hub go from blue to green and then orange. We then reset it and it works again. Sometimes it has to be reset a couple of times before it will work again.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    Buy a decent router.
    • Changing
    • By Changing 14th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Changing
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    Is that not what the Smart Hub is supposed to be for?
    • zaax
    • By zaax 14th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    zaax
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    read this http://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/consumer-rights/ . Get them to send you another hub
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • Changing
    • By Changing 14th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Changing
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    Thank you. Will put the kettle on and go through it all.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    If you are in contract and go through the various BT tests found via your members help pages they usually send a replacement hub out no problem .However judged by the lights it may not be a hub problem at all .

You can also use your BT members community forum for advice .
    • jb66
    • By jb66 14th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    jb66
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    Had same issue too, ended using an older hh5 and all is fine
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    I'd still suggest buying a decent router.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 14th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Nilrem
    No ISP will ever guarantee a wireless connection.

There are too many variables, even the best router can be affected by the internal construction of a building or interference from other networks.

My suggestion would be to do a wireless survey of the building, find what channels are in use, and if/where there are dead spots in the reception, and to do it using at least two devices (as some devices have much worse wireless performance, or might simply not work well with some other devices).

The tech area of the forum has a few threads on working out wireless problems from memory.
    • Changing
    • By Changing 14th Oct 16, 11:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Changing
    No ISP will ever guarantee a wireless connection.

There are too many variables, even the best router can be affected by the internal construction of a building or interference from other networks.

My suggestion would be to do a wireless survey of the building, find what channels are in use, and if/where there are dead spots in the reception, and to do it using at least two devices (as some devices have much worse wireless performance, or might simply not work well with some other devices).

The tech area of the forum has a few threads on working out wireless problems from memory.
    Originally posted by Nilrem
    Thanks, I'm a bit clueless about this sort of thing but I can't see how there would be any interference from the building structure. I'm not being difficult it's just it's a small house, the hub can be right next to something and it still stays on the Orange light, there's just the two of us with only our phones and a laptop each and of course the problem only started when we moved to bt. I've spent most of the night trying to find out what the problem could be when the hub light stays orange but I'm not getting anywhere.
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 15th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    mwarby
    Basically you can't guarantee wireless performance as no 2 buildings are the same, different interference sources and some materials wifi struggles with (eg foil lined plasterboard, big thick stone walls etc)

I think this might be a red herring though. I suspect that wireless is just most used, so the connection being down shows up on wifi first, a test down for tech support maybe of to short a duration for fault to reveal itself. The hub won't know is devices aren't connected due to environment issues by wifi, they could just be off. I don't know the model of hub you have but an orange light to me suggests the connection (to the exchange or cabinet) maybe dropping out

I'd check that all devices are filtered correctly(including sky boxes) as this could cause issues.I'd then check with hub in test socket (the lower half of master socket is detachable, revealing a test socket, this eliminates customer wiring such as extensions), as some extension wiring can cause issues, which some modems struggle with more than others. I'd then ask for another hub, as it's possible yours is in some way faulty

It might be useful to know, are you currently on a 'fibre' or 'infinity product' ? were you on a similar product before switching. If you've moved from normal broadband to fibre, this will show up any wiring deficiencies much more.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 15th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 7,924 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Buzby
    The ASA stopped BT using its WiFi claim (as it was nonsense). If your equipment is fine when using a wired connection, and it is only WiFi that shows the slow speeds, then either the router is faulty or other routers it kit are impacting the channel your router is using. There are plenty diagnosis software offerings to sniff out what the problem will be.

As for calling out an engineer - they are correct, WiFi is not guaranteed so if it passes their checks, you pay. As for going elsewhere, there is only Virgin as they don't use xDSL so even if you take the hit and cancelled (paying the rest of the minimum term) you still may not be better off.
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 15th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    mwarby
    Just had a look on the bt forums, it would seem the smart hub has many people experiencing similar problems of instability, with swapouts being as bad as the originals

I know many people have been happy with the home hub 5b (5a not nearly as good, down to internal chipset used). The are available on ebay for around £20 (not ideal but maybe preferable to getting another modem with same issues and sending back old one)
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 15th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 8,298 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    The Smart Hub srelf install user guide -

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-and-bt-infinity-hardware

suggests that an orange light is a broadband connetuon problem and nothing to do with WiFi.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 15th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 10,663 Posts
    • 5,479 Thanks
    deanos
    Go into your router settings and split the signal this may solve your problem it did with me and now my signal reaches much further and no issues, i think it confuses things as uses the same SSID separating it gives 2 different SSID's, for example in my office i wouldn't get any wireless now im getting 3 out of 4 on the signal

Put http://192.168.1.254 into your browser

Then choose "wireless" , then at the top of that page "change settings", you now have the option to separate bands

Last edited by deanos; 15-10-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    As above and turn off in Wireless the Smart Settings .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,968Posts Today

6,109Users online

Martin's Twitter