Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 14th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 607Posts
    • 261Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Are the post office's 2D barcodes sufficient proof of postage?
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    Are the post office's 2D barcodes sufficient proof of postage? 14th Oct 16 at 5:07 PM
    I've been selling a few things recently because of a decent money off final fees offer from Ebay and I was told by the nice gentleman in the post office that I didn't need to send my items signed for anymore as the new post office barcodes is enough proof that the item has arrived.

Rather embarrassingly I said I felt it best to stick to signed for as it was definitive proof and I handed over the extra cost. But so I know for next time do I actually need to send items signed for if the Royal Mail use these new barcodes? If a buyer did claim INR would I be able to win that case with the bar code alone?

Thanks
Page 1
    • alanq
    • By alanq 14th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    alanq
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    Posting with bar code provides proof of posting NOT proof of delivery.
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 14th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    Posting with bar code provides proof of posting NOT proof of delivery.
    Originally posted by alanq
    Ah okay so not much help then if it ever went to a case That's a real letdown as you can already get a certificate of posting so the bar codes really don't help at all.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 57,708 Posts
    • 40,796 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    Ah okay so not much help then if it ever went to a case That's a real letdown as you can already get a certificate of posting so the bar codes really don't help at all.
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    Have a read of the sticky postage thread. Your signed for is costing you an extra £1.10 per package, plus 11p extra FVFs so unless you anticipate meeting a lot of scammers you are wasting your money. All those £1.21ps soon add up and you really need to consider whether your sales are really that vulnerable to cost you that much.

Obviously if your items are over £20 then signed for is needed too crease the amount you are able to claim in case of loss or damage.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    The new 2D or QR code is trackable to delivery but isn't live for most* customers yet. It's due later this month if you believe RM, but then it was Spring, then Summer .......

* it is on trial for some business customers
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 14th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    The new 2D or QR code is trackable to delivery but isn't live for most* customers yet. It's due later this month if you believe RM, but then it was Spring, then Summer .......

* it is on trial for some business customers
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    So you wouldn't recommend it?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    Recommend it for what?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Oct 16, 7:18 AM
    • 57,708 Posts
    • 40,796 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:18 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 7:18 AM
    Since this is only in a small trial and not yet rolled out it would be difficult for anyone to say whether it is recommended or not?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • TKPeters
    • By TKPeters 15th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    TKPeters
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    All the posties are scanning the 2D barcodes, just that RM haven't put the system live for non-business customers, only those of us with OBA Accounts can view the delivery scan.
    I still don't know if it would pass the eBay INR test, although its technically the same as a tracked product

• theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    All the posties are scanning the 2D barcodes, just that RM haven't put the system live for non-business customers, only those of us with OBA Accounts can view the delivery scan.
    I still don't know if it would pass the eBay INR test, although its technically the same as a tracked product
    Originally posted by TKPeters
    They are not live for all business users yet. Selected DMO accounts have taken the pilot.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 19th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    Where did you hear the end of October? I asked RM and they couldn't/wouldn't give a date, only that they would let people know when it goes live.

I use DMO.
    • onejontwo
    • By onejontwo 19th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    onejontwo
    Most of the 2d barcodes won't scan anyway on the old type pda's. So until the new pda's are rolled out I wouldn't rely on this tracking method.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 26th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    Well I send everything 2D barcoded and I can now access the delivery information.

Despite rumours of unusable PDAs etc I can confirm that the vast majority of my parcels over the last few months have delivery confirmation (well the vast majority of the ones I checked anyway)

So far, so good.

Once this is rolled out to everybody, and you can send standard mail at standard price with delivery confirmation. it will be a game changer.

Let's be honest this will put RM near enough on a par with Hermes price wise, but RM are so much more reliable.
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 27th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    2D barcode scanning was introduced for every parcel the beginning of September (will check tomorrow). It doesn't matter whether you are a business customer or not if the parcel has the 2D barcode it will/should be scanned.

The problem arises if it curved ie on a tube, it wasn't printed clearly or smudged etc.

• theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 27th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    2D barcode scanning was introduced for every parcel the beginning of September (will check tomorrow). It doesn't matter whether you are a business customer or not if the parcel has the 2D barcode it will/should be scanned.

The problem arises if it curved ie on a tube, it wasn't printed clearly or smudged etc.
    Originally posted by in_the_Cotswolds
    2D scanning has been in existence for some time. It is not available as a POD for all yet and the latest news is, that it can be as late as next Spring.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 27th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Does anyone know if 2D barcoding on Large Letters will be scanned?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 28th Oct 16, 7:23 AM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Does anyone know if 2D barcoding on Large Letters will be scanned?
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    My understanding is that all 2D will have POD but the parcels are not expected to be fully integrated for all until Spring. LL could be sometime after that. But really, with the failed timelines thus far, how long is a piece of string.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 28th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    I hope you're wrong about next Spring!

I'm lucky in that I can suddenly check my parcels status - however I cannot yet check on my Large Letters.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 28th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ontheup1972

Originally posted by in_the_Cotswolds
    They've actually been 2D scanning in some areas since April. Checking back over my archive I can see POD on some parcels from that month.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 28th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 9,690 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I hope you're wrong about next Spring!

I'm lucky in that I can suddenly check my parcels status - however I cannot yet check on my Large Letters.
    Originally posted by ontheup1972
    So do I. But Spring (I am told) is optimistic.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter