Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 5,511Posts
    • 10,269Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Did half terms exist before the 1980s?
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    Did half terms exist before the 1980s? 14th Oct 16 at 3:44 PM
    Today, the kids break up for half term. Great! Some parents think shops are creches and teens - hanging about zones.

When I was at school, the only week long half term was the October one. Feb and May were a couple of days each. One Feb half term I remember it was just one day! It was my friend's birthday and did Laser Quest and bowling.

Today's kids get seven less days at school when I was there. As when my parents were moving home, I found a list of term dates tucked in a book. Went on the school's website to find the latest dates.

My parents can't remember things like half terms.

If half terms weren't around when you were at school, when were they introduced?
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
Page 2
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    When I was at school, our summer holidays were timed for berry picking season and the autumn holiday was timed for picking spuds, no idea what the timings are for these days.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 694.7
    This week - 44.5
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 14th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 6,524 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Our Local authority schools holidays are exactly the same as at least 50 years ago. The only major change is Easter is now fixed and is the first two weeks in April, regardless of when Easter falls.

Private schools, Academies and free schools are a law until themselves.
    • trollopscarletwoman
    • By trollopscarletwoman 14th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 7,542 Posts
    • 9,726 Thanks
    trollopscarletwoman
    We certainly did have half terms.

A week in February, Whitsun week in May, and a week off in October usually around the 18th.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 15th Oct 16, 6:57 AM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 10,131 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Was yours a private school Gwylim? I recall our summer holidays being 13 weeks long one year!
    Originally posted by effervescing elephant
    Yeah, seventh day adventist school, awful awful place.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 17,328 Posts
    • 39,429 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Not around here, we must be a week behind everyone else.
    Good job too because the second half of term is longer than usual already!
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    I think the week after next is the norm, OP seems to be earlier than most.

Yes, we had half terms in the 70's and 80's here.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 9,523 Posts
    • 21,218 Thanks
    suki1964
    We had half terms in the 60's and 70's.

We had two weeks Christmas , two weeks Easter and six weeks summer holidays with a week half term in October and the other week depended on when Easter was. Basically worked out you didn't go longer then six weeks without a holiday.

Add to that all the bank holidays, it's no wonder we were laden with homework every night/weekend/holiday
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 15th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 9,539 Posts
    • 33,644 Thanks
    luxor4t
    We had half terms in South Wales in the 60s and 70s (I was in school 1963-1976).

In those bad old pre-Baker/Inset days we also had a half day for St David's day and 7 weeks in the summer - and, yes, it was always hot! - as well as the fortnights at Christmas and Easter. Hours and hours of homework though.

Aged 10 I'd spend all Saturday morning writing essays in preparation for the 11+ exam - which did not include an essay question. Most hated were the factual essays - what sadist expects a 10 year old to write anything worth reading about "Colour"or "The Weather"? (parents came from the "It's your homework so you do it, we are not allowed to give you any help of any kind so stop asking... and if you get into trouble it is your fault" school of thought. Sigh)
    Last edited by luxor4t; 15-10-2016 at 9:58 AM.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 15th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 11,214 Posts
    • 43,430 Thanks
    joansgirl
    We had half terms when I was at school 1962 - 1973. Can't remember if it was as many as now though. No inset/training days.

I remember one of my teachers worked out that the balance between days spent at school and days off (including weekends) came out as 6 days per year more at school than not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter