Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sabelt
    • By Sabelt 14th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sabelt
    New home - new diabled badge?
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    New home - new diabled badge? 14th Oct 16 at 3:21 PM
    Hi All

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Do you need to re register as disabled if you have a blue badge from one council and you move to another?

thanks
Page 1
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 14th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    A Blue Badge is valid anywhere in the U K.

You may have problems when you go to renew it.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Sabelt
    • By Sabelt 14th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sabelt
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    my new council is saying that if we want a disabled bay outside, that we have to re assessed
    • JS477
    • By JS477 14th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    JS477
    • 14th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    my new council is saying that if we want a disabled bay outside, that we have to re assessed
    Originally posted by Sabelt
    If you receive DLA mobility high rate or PIP mobility at standard or enhanced rate then you don't need to be reassessed as you automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 14th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 11,553 Posts
    • 16,824 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 14th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    If you receive DLA mobility high rate or PIP mobility at standard or enhanced rate then you don't need to be reassessed as you automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.
    Originally posted by JS477
    they aren't being reassessed for a blue badge, but for a disabled parking bay.

OP ... each council will have its own criteria regarding eligibility for a parking bay, so yes, you will need to be assessed.

and remember ... the bay can be used by any blue badge holder
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 14th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    And if it's just paint on the road and a TRO has not been issued (there will normally be a sign on a pole on the kerb stating it is for disabled only if a TRO has been issued) for it then anybody can park there.

Sometimes councils try cost cutting by not getting a TRO in the hope that it is not well known that there can be no enforcement without one
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 14th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    The original post did not mention a Parking Bay!

Just a Blue Badge.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 22,128 Posts
    • 55,122 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    I think you have to advise the issuing council of a change of address for the Blue Badge (so that they can update the records); you might find that this triggers the process for transferring the issue to the new county. I'd guess there is a procedure. It's a council thing. There's bound to be a procedure ...

eta. First council retrieved by Google was Cornwall. They say:

If you move to Cornwall from another area, you can continue to use your old badge and apply for a new one from Cornwall Council when it expires. You should tell the Council that issued your old badge about your change of address.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • JS477
    • By JS477 14th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    JS477
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    they aren't being reassessed for a blue badge, but for a disabled parking bay.

OP ... each council will have its own criteria regarding eligibility for a parking bay, so yes, you will need to be assessed.

and remember ... the bay can be used by any blue badge holder
    Originally posted by nannytone
    The title of the thread is :- New home - new diabled badge?

Ergo as the OP is moving home they were asking if they would need a new Blue Badge.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 22,128 Posts
    • 55,122 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Response from OP further down mentioned a bay:

Originally posted by Sabelt
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 14th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 11,553 Posts
    • 16,824 Thanks
    nannytone
    The title of the thread is :- New home - new diabled badge?

Ergo as the OP is moving home they were asking if they would need a new Blue Badge.
    Originally posted by JS477
    read the post you previously quoted ( and answered about entitlement to a blue badge)

it talks about the need to be reassessed for a PARKING BAY
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 15th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    When I moved counties I phoned to ask this.

I was told my bluebadge was still eligible but that I wouldn't get a renewal pack when it ran out as I wouldn't be on the system.

It is also worth remembering that different areas have different rules for paying for parking in council owned car parks.. i always check in new car parks anyway.

Parking bay criteria are different.. I was told as i can't drive I am not entitled to a parking bay or drop curb outside my front door. It was the drop curb I was most interested in as there isn't one in MY walking distance on my side of the road.

You can set your mind at ease by a quick phone call to your new council, the lady I spoke to went off to double check but was very friendly.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    unforeseen
    The original post did not mention a Parking Bay!

Just a Blue Badge.
    Originally posted by ariba10
    OPs second post says
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,223Posts Today

6,337Users online

Martin's Twitter