Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dom272
    • By dom272 14th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dom272
    Ford Dealer Vs Independent (again)
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    Ford Dealer Vs Independent (again) 14th Oct 16 at 2:49 PM
    Hi,

I've been reading around about this but wanted to ask if it was worth paying (£270) for the Ford dealer service over the (£122) service offered by servicingstop for any reason?

e.g. Ford offer an "echeck" and I wondered if this was exclusive to them?

They also include a 1year breakdown service but I'm assuming its cheaper to buy this seperately.
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Oct 16, 2:58 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:58 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:58 PM
    Whatever you do, I'd advise searching this board for threads about ServicingStop. They have lurid titles like:

"ServicingStop Ate My Daughter! Avoid these cannibalistic Mad Men"

and

"I asked for servicing by ServicingStop and all I got was a leg amputation"

Yes, I'm exaggerating the titles, but the feedback is not good.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 14th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 6,518 Posts
    • 4,870 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    Compare what the dealer will do compared to servicing stop.

SS state they service to manufacturers requirements.

My car has just had a full main dealer service. It had fully synth oil, pollen filter, air filter, brake and clutch fluid change, front to back wheel swap and ECU software upgrade which are all required to keep the warranty intact.

SS full service 'to manufacturers spec' for the sum of £109 excludes all of the above work.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    I would rather pay a main dealer £1000+ for a service rather than use servicingstop.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 8,690 Posts
    • 9,752 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    This is the bit that would put me off:
    Your car service will be done by an approved Servicing Stop garage
    Unless I knew the garage that was going to be carrying out the work I would never let them do it.
    How are they approved? Cost?, Speed, a back hander to someone?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    Is my car worth risking for £148 is the question you might ask yourself
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 14th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    ukjoel
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    How old is your car?

If its under 3 years old is it worth saving £100 but losing the full main dealer history it has.

The loss of stamps might mean a future buyer dropping the value of your car by £200 or more.

Ford do some cheaper services on older cars (and if you shop around a lot of dealers do offers as well, especially during the quiet months.

I think a good independent is the best option on a 3 year plus car but base this on experience and feedback from people you know and trust.
    • dom272
    • By dom272 16th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dom272
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    Scary!...But they get 5/5 based on 5946 user reviews?

Also, how do you know what they will/won't include? Can't find that info anywhere....they do say they use genuine parts and guarantee 1yr (although that's probably impossible to hold them to if anything went wrong).

Think i may go with the good garage scheme to try a good independent. Does anyone know if this a good scheme?

May also try to ring around local dealers to find a special offer, thanks for the tip.

Also, the estimated £200 off resale value would be equalised after 2 services at this rate (£150 saved after just this service) so that doesn't seem to be a valid reason to service at the main dealer?

Thanks for the replies!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 13,788 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 12:16 PM

Also, how do you know what they will/won't include? Can't find that info anywhere....they do say they use genuine parts and guarantee 1yr (although that's probably impossible to hold them to if anything went wrong).

Think i may go with the good garage scheme to try a good independent. Does anyone know if this a good scheme?

May also try to ring around local dealers to find a special offer, thanks for the tip.

Also, the estimated £200 off resale value would be equalised after 2 services at this rate (£150 saved after just this service) so that doesn't seem to be a valid reason to service at the main dealer?

Thanks for the replies!
    Originally posted by dom272
    What age is the car?
    Regards

Paul
    • dom272
    • By dom272 16th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dom272
    13 reg so about 3yrs old
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 13,788 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    motorguy
    13 reg so about 3yrs old
    Personally, i'd take it to Ford.

If the engine goes bang or you have a major fault in six months time or a year, with a full Ford History you'll get a major contribution from the manufacturer.

If its been serviced by Johnny Local, then Ford wont be under any such obligation.

Also, you'll get the latest software updates, recalls applied, safety notices, etc by going to Ford.

Also, it will get what its due for that specific mileage according to the Ford service guides, rather than the minimum doing that Johnny Local thinks he can get away with

And also, its currently a dealer retailable car under their Approved Used schemes and even for a couple of years yet would make good main dealer stock. If you go down the indy servicing route, then they'll be trading it on, which means a lower valuation.

Of course if you plan on driving it years, the final point doesnt really matter.
    Regards

Paul
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    5/5 on what website? Is it one that will delete negative reviews?

The issue is that some stranger will collect your car and take it away to god knows which garage. Then they will have to service faster/cheaper to be able to make a profit and pay servicing stop their bit.

OK just looked they say its 5/5 from 5946 user reviews, i cannot see them declare is that was 1 user leaving the 5946 reviews or how many users left multiple reviews.

I sat here today and asked the question 100 times would you use servicingstop 100% said no they would not use them. But how many people did i actually ask?

How about this... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510565/Car-repair-company-awarded-Dragons-Den-cash-took-motorists-BMW-92mph-drive-taken-faulty-brakes.html

No mention of the dragons den deal falling through on their website, Just dragons den winners.
    How did they win with no investment?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • dom272
    • By dom272 16th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dom272
    Thanks guys, just cancelled with servicing stop. Not worth the risk imo.

Motorguy have you any conflicting interests you'd like to declare? I'm not stirring but it seems a very pro ford dealer stance you have and I'd like impartial advice.

If like to say that i noticed that the dab radio info text does not scroll on my radio and when i mentioned it over the phone to local ford they were very quick to say i was out of the warranty period and it would cost extra to look at this even though this is a ford approved used vehicle bought from food and exclusively serviced by ford since new so i was a bit peed off to be honest and this is partly why I'm looking elsewhere and makes ideas that they may be somehow more helpful with a more serious fault as suggested seem extremely doubtful.

Regarding their included breakdown cover, you can find that for about £25/yr according to this website.

So I'm still undecided, I suppose its one of those things where opinions may vary...

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice though!
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 16th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Thanks guys, just cancelled with servicing stop. Not worth the risk imo.

Motorguy have you any conflicting interests you'd like to declare? I'm not stirring but it seems a very pro ford dealer stance you have and I'd like impartial advice.

If like to say that i noticed that the dab radio info text does not scroll on my radio and when i mentioned it over the phone to local ford they were very quick to say i was out of the warranty period and it would cost extra to look at this even though this is a ford approved used vehicle bought from food and exclusively serviced by ford since new so i was a bit peed off to be honest and this is partly why I'm looking elsewhere and makes ideas that they may be somehow more helpful with a more serious fault as suggested seem extremely doubtful.

Regarding their included breakdown cover, you can find that for about £25/yr according to this website.

So I'm still undecided, I suppose its one of those things where opinions may vary...

Thanks again to all for the helpful advice though!
    It's not pro-Ford, Motorguy is just making a point regarding dealer contributions in the event of 'just out of warranty' major unexpected and unlikely fault events.

Not saying I agree with it, as in my experience getting manufacturers and main dealers to deal with things properly even when still under warranty is bloody difficult, but...
    • dom272
    • By dom272 16th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dom272
    Yes, that's what I thought.

Also, even if Ford dealer offered a "discount" on major repairs isn't it one of those cases where it would still be cheaper with a more fairly priced identical option elsewhere?
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 16th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    knightstyle
    A friend has a Fiesta and when the A/C packed up they found several faults and said it needed a complete new unit.
    The car was bought, S/H from a main dealer who did every service and MOTs.
    The garage put a case to Ford who paid for about 75% of a new unit and the garage paid for the labour, all because the car had full Ford service history.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 13,788 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    motorguy

Nope, i dont own a Ford (Porsche, Mercedes and MGZT currently), havent owned a Ford in decades, i dont work for Ford or a Ford dealer, and i dont know anyone who works for Ford or a Ford dealer.

You asked for advice, and speaking as ex motor trade, thats the advice i would give anyone with a car the age of yours - including my son for that matter. He bought his BMW 120D @ 3 years old and i suggested he keep it serviced by BMW (particularly as that 20D engine is prone to timing chain snapping!)

You could substitute and brand in there and i'd have said the same thing.
    Regards

Paul
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 13,788 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    motorguy
    A friend has a Fiesta and when the A/C packed up they found several faults and said it needed a complete new unit.
    The car was bought, S/H from a main dealer who did every service and MOTs.
    The garage put a case to Ford who paid for about 75% of a new unit and the garage paid for the labour, all because the car had full Ford service history.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Bingo!

Exactly my point!
    Regards

Paul
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 13,788 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    motorguy
    Yes, that's what I thought.

Also, even if Ford dealer offered a "discount" on major repairs isn't it one of those cases where it would still be cheaper with a more fairly priced identical option elsewhere?
    My dads Ibiza has had two new engines fitted under warranty.

He could have chosen to get it serviced elsewhere and saved a few £ but i'm not sure SEAT would have so readily crated up a new engine each time and had it sent over for fitting by the local dealer.

Minor repairs its not worth fighting over, but these days a fuel pump, set of injectors, DPF, DMF, turbo or a major electronic item could cost £,£££, no matter whos doing the work.
    Regards

Paul
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 17th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    I also had an experience of manufacturer/dealer contribution because I had a full main dealer service history. My Mazda6 diesel suffered a stretched timing chain (not an uncommon failure). The cost of repair at the main dealer was £900. Despite being 18 months and 26,000 miles outside the warranty period I got a 50% contribution. They specifically said that the contribution resulted solely from me having a full Mazda service history.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

323Posts Today

1,096Users online

Martin's Twitter