Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ahappychappie
    • By ahappychappie 14th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ahappychappie
    Home 'network' extremely slow
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    Home 'network' extremely slow 14th Oct 16 at 2:22 PM
    Hi,

Setup is as follows:

Sky Fibre Broadband with SR102 wireless router. Wireless & Cat.5e cabling.

I've setup a Windows Homegroup - comprising 2 x laptop, 1 Desktop. All Wireless devices are less than 2 years old, i.e. should be capable of quick transfer rates.

BIG issue is transferring files between computers I get a maximum speed of 5.5 MB/s via Wireless - as I'm transferring large video files it's taking a long long time. I've tried transferring via devices directly cabled into the router performance improves to circa 10 Mb/s - but surely I should be seeing much quicker speed?

Have just purchased a WD My Cloud EX2 - cabled directly to the router - again max speeds as above.

Any tips/advice, though no doubt there's probably whole variety of possible solutions...

Alternatively I wondered if a different router would help? Trouble is there seems so much choice, the following seems to get favourable feedback:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-8800NL-R2-Wireless-Connections/dp/B01EVNR22K/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    The SR102 only supports 100Mb/s so no gigabit.

Bear in mind that when you say 5.5MB/s that equates to 44Mb/s which isnt that bad over wireless really.

Use a wifi analyser app on your phone to see what channels all your neighbours are broadcasting on, and choose a different channel for your router, that may help.

SR102's are renound as being pretty !!!!py though anyway, so a replacement may be in order.
    Bear in mind, Sky insist you use a sky router for their fibre connections

Workarounds to exist
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,824 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    The SR102 only supports 100Mb/s so no gigabit.

Bear in mind that when you say 5.5MB/s that equates to 44Mb/s which isnt that bad over wireless really.
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I agree with you, though it shouuld be pointed out that the OP has switched between "B" and "b" so we don't have a clear idea of exactly what is going on or what throughput is achieved -

5.5MB/s on wireless
    10Mb/s wired

Usually the limit on transfer speeds on a wired network is what output a mechanical hard drive can sustain.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • fiish
    • By fiish 15th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    fiish
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    For large file transfers, I would not expect wireless to be very quick - it will be quick enough to stream-play a video off the hard drive, for example, but don't expect file copy to be that quick.

Only Gigabit Ethernet will do file transfers that don't seem slow on a modern computer, unfortunately. If your hub is only 100Mb (which really means maximum 12.5MB per second) then even with cabling you're not going to see lightning quick transfers.
    Debt free and watching my savings shrink!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 15th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    boliston
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    Wifi speeds seems to fall off very quickly if there is anything in the way like a wall. If I go into the next room the speedtest result seems to drop to about 10mb/s when it's normally about 75mb/s in the same room
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 15th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    Wifi speeds seems to fall off very quickly if there is anything in the way like a wall. If I go into the next room the speedtest result seems to drop to about 10mb/s when it's normally about 75mb/s in the same room
    Originally posted by boliston

Unless your wall is made of lead that seems a little off.

Suggest changing your WIFI channel, it may be that next doors router is on the other side of the other wall on the same channel, causing interference
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter