Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coume
    • By Coume 14th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Coume
    PAYE - Is there any allowable expenses for sales manager?
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:46 PM
    PAYE - Is there any allowable expenses for sales manager? 14th Oct 16 at 1:46 PM
    Hello,

I work for a company and I am a PAYE.

I am trying to get a grip with the UK tax system, which seems to have lots of caveats!

Is there any allowable expenses that I could claim for as a Sales Manager? (i.e.: dry cleaning, suits, etc.)

Thanks in advance
    L.
Page 1
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 14th Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:51 PM
    Unless you travel or wear a uniform, there is very little that can be claimed. A suit is not uniform - it is settled law that a suit can be worn outside of work, whereas a nurses uniform cannot.

There isn't much to get to grips with - tax is deducted at source, to stop the situation in other countries where people can easily avoid the tax man. It is generally very accurate, and any discrepancies that do occur throughout the year will be corrected in the following year.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/overview

Might be useful
    • CLAPTON
    • By CLAPTON 14th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 40,873 Posts
    • 29,620 Thanks
    CLAPTON
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    Hello,

I work for a company and I am a PAYE.

I am trying to get a grip with the UK tax system, which seems to have lots of caveats!

Is there any allowable expenses that I could claim for as a Sales Manager? (i.e.: dry cleaning, suits, etc.)

Thanks in advance
    L.
    Originally posted by Coume
    you can avoid tax by contributing to pension, giving to charity, having a lower salary
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Oct 16, 1:13 AM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,017 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:13 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:13 AM
    you can avoid tax by contributing to pension, giving to charity, having a lower salary
    Originally posted by CLAPTON
    Just to note that direct giving to charities only saves you tax if you either do it through Give As You Earn direct from your employer, OR you're a higher rate taxpayer. If the latter, you have to Gift Aid and reclaim the higher rate tax paid on the gift(s).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! Current projects: 2 shawls, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    • xnoxxnox
    • By xnoxxnox 15th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    xnoxxnox
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    If one pays Basic Rate one should still fill out Gift Aid form, as that means a charity can re-claim your income tax on that amount. E.g. donating 8 quid to charity, means they get 10 quid in total.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,017 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    If one pays Basic Rate one should still fill out Gift Aid form, as that means a charity can re-claim your income tax on that amount. E.g. donating 8 quid to charity, means they get 10 quid in total.
    Originally posted by xnoxxnox
    Yes of course. Not thinking straight, but also only thinking of the saving to the taxpayer at the time!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! Current projects: 2 shawls, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 16th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    TheBanker
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 16th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    Do you use your own car for work? If you do you might be able to claim back the difference between any mileage allowance your employer reimburses you, and the HMRC rate (45p for up to 10,000 miles, then 25p after).

For example, my employer being stingy only pay 15p per mile so I can claim tax relief on another 30p per mile. This only applies for travel for business (e.g. between stores/offices), not for your daily commute from home to work.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Oct-16: £88.79 / £310
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter