Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 14th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 10Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    First Car Buying Private How to Test Drive no insurance?
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    First Car Buying Private How to Test Drive no insurance? 14th Oct 16 at 1:37 PM
    Hello,

So i am going to test drive a car being sold private tomorrow.

This is my first car so i currently have no insurance so am not insured to drive any other vehicles for a fact .

The person selling said i would be covered on their insurance, although i am really not convinced.

If i buy the annual insurance for the car now , can i just cancel it if the car turns out to be a dud ? Or is there a better way?
Page 1
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    You can buy temporary cover

http://insure4aday.co.uk/?gclid=CN6L3bqo2s8CFUQW0woduRIHeA

Additionally the RK must have a live insurance policy covering the car itself. But I think that is their responsibility. Make sure you carry the temporary cover note bearing the car's details with you.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 8,585 Posts
    • 5,609 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    Hello,

So i am going to test drive a car being sold private tomorrow.

This is my first car so i currently have no insurance so am not insured to drive any other vehicles for a fact .

The person selling said i would be covered on their insurance, although i am really not convinced.

If i buy the annual insurance for the car now , can i just cancel it if the car turns out to be a dud ? Or is there a better way?
    Originally posted by AdventureRocks
    If the seller is saying your covered on their insurance then they'll only have themselves to blame if you're not.

Your 4 options.

1, Accept what the seller says and take a risk
    2, Ask for proof of insurance from the seller
    3, Take out a days insurance cover
    4, Get someone who does have insurance to drive for you.

I remember the last car I sold privately the buyer was happy for me to drive the car for the test drive.

Have you been driving long?
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 14th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    You can buy temporary cover

http://insure4aday.co.uk/?gclid=CN6L3bqo2s8CFUQW0woduRIHeA

Additionally the RK must have a live insurance policy covering the car itself. But I think that is their responsibility. Make sure you carry the temporary cover note bearing the car's details with you.
    Originally posted by Tilt
    Why would the registered keeper also need a policy if you're taking out day insurance?

I've bought uninsured vehicles a few times and only had day insurance to test drive them and drive them home again.
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 14th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    If the seller is saying your covered on their insurance then they'll only have themselves to blame if you're not.

Your 4 options.

1, Accept what the seller says and take a risk
    2, Ask for proof of insurance from the seller
    3, Take out a days insurance cover
    4, Get someone who does have insurance to drive for you.

I remember the last car I sold privately the buyer was happy for me to drive the car for the test drive.

Have you been driving long?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    What would happen if i crashed and it turned out they did not have insurance?

I have had a licence for 6 years but only just getting a car

On option 4 would it be the person insured not the car ?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 8,699 Posts
    • 9,759 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    What would happen if i crashed and it turned out they did not have insurance?
    Originally posted by AdventureRocks
    You would get 6 points on your licence and a £300 fine and the owner of the vehicle could get the same for permitting you to drive with no insurance.
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 14th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    You would get 6 points on your licence and a £300 fine and the owner of the vehicle could get the same for permitting you to drive with no insurance.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    £25 day insurance it is then!

I will go have a look at the car first and if initial inspections look okay i will stand there and take out the policy on my phone
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    It doesn't matter who the seller blames, the police and courts will blame both of you!

6 points minimum, plus fine.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:46 PM
    Why would the registered keeper also need a policy if you're taking out day insurance?

I've bought uninsured vehicles a few times and only had day insurance to test drive them and drive them home again.
    Originally posted by Rolandtheroadie
    Because that's rule under the continuous insurance enforcement. If you are the RK, then the car must be covered on a policy otherwise it will not show on the MIB thus could be picked up on ANPR. Plus it needs cover for it to be taxed. However, motor traders are exempt form continuous insurance enforcement so IF the OP is purchasing from a dealer then the car won't need it's own cover.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 14th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    You would also be personally liable for the cost of any third party claims if you hit another person, car or property. A simple bump could easily cost over £1000 without even considering any personal injury claims which would start around £2500.

Temp insurance is the way to go for legality and peace of mind.
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 14th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    Because that's rule under the continuous insurance enforcement. If you are the RK, then the car must be covered on a policy otherwise it will not show on the MIB thus could be picked up on ANPR. Plus it needs cover for it to be taxed. However, motor traders are exempt form continuous insurance enforcement so IF the OP is purchasing from a dealer then the car won't need it's own cover.

Not the ops problem.

Tax maybe.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Tilt
    Not the ops problem.

Tax maybe.
    Originally posted by Fat Walt
    I know. I said as such in my first post (#2).
    PLEASE NOTE
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 14th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    I know. I said as such in my first post (#2).

You said the RK must have a live policy, insurance wise he doesn't.
    • suburbankid
    • By suburbankid 14th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    suburbankid
    https://cuvva.com/
    Not used these myself, but i person at work recommended them

https://cuvva.com/

i think they charged him £9 for 2 hours insurance
    Maybe worth downloading the app and getting a quote.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Tilt
    You said the RK must have a live policy, insurance wise he doesn't.
    Under the continuous Insurance Enforcement rules, the car must be related to an insurance policy IF it's driven on a public road and the responsibility lies with the RK. However providing the OP takes out temporary cover to drive the car and that the cover specifically covers the car, then that would satisfy the OP's responsibility as far as the the RTA is concerned even if the RK has no insurance cover in place. The OP would be expected to produce a cover note though if stopped by the police.
    PLEASE NOTE
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 14th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    Under the continuous Insurance Enforcement rules, the car must be related to an insurance policy IF it's driven on a public road and the responsibility lies with the RK. However providing the OP takes out temporary cover to drive the car and that the cover specifically covers the car, then that would satisfy the OP's responsibility as far as the the RTA is concerned even if the RK has no insurance cover in place. The OP would be expected to produce a cover note though if stopped by the police.
    Continuous insurance rules aren't relevant to the op.

He's could also go with the suggestion of having a friend with driving other vehicles on his policy test it for him.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Tilt
    Continuous insurance rules aren't relevant to the op.

He's could also go with the suggestion of having a friend with driving other vehicles on his policy test it for him.
    Didn't I say that in post #2 and also in my previous post where I said "the responsibility lies with the RK"?
    PLEASE NOTE
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 14th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    Didn't I say that in post #2 and also in my previous post where I said "the responsibility lies with the RK"?

Well stop waving your maggot and button it.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Tilt
    Well stop waving your maggot and button it.
    How very grown up of you.
    PLEASE NOTE
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Car 54
    The OP would be OK provided he could produce the cover note within 7 days. The police might seize the car in the meantime, but that's not the OP's problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,460Posts Today

7,421Users online

Martin's Twitter