Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 14th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 451Posts
    • 1,716Thanks
    Claim against insurance company in liquidation
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    Claim against insurance company in liquidation 14th Oct 16 at 1:03 PM
    *I'm posting on behalf of my husband* The following is his question:

I'm in a difficult position regarding an accident claim on my motor insurance.

Back in April I had an accident that was not my fault. It was clear what had happened and I had a witness. The other party was a foreign national in a hire car.

Following the accident, I put down an excess for my car to get repaired whilst the liability was being settled. It was dragging on for a long time but I was told this was usual for hire cars and I don't think the other driver had explained properly what had happened.

Last week i spoke to my insurance company and they informed me that the other party's insurance company was Enterprise, a Gibraltar based company that has recently begun proceedings to go into liquidation. They informed me that there would now be a very lengthy process to try and claim back their money and my excess from that insurance company and i should be prepared not to get it back.

They also told me that as this would likely go into my next policy year and beyond it would be treated as a "my fault" accident whilst the money has not been recovered. This would put my premiums up for years to come.

I've been offered legal advice as I have full legal cover, but wanted to get some view on here on where I stand.

Is it likely I will get my excess back? Would my claim not be covered by the UK/Gibraltar FSCS?

Is it right that my premiums go up when it is not my fault? Should unrecoverable losses in this case be treated as accepting liability?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 14th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    Fault/non fault when disclosing a claim isn't determined by who was to blame for the accident, it's determined by which insurer paid both parties.
    Unless your insurer recovers their outlay, they'll chalk it as a fault claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,600Posts Today

7,113Users online

Martin's Twitter