Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 14th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 959Posts
    • 649Thanks
    ellie27
    Do I need an architect? Or should I use one?
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    Do I need an architect? Or should I use one? 14th Oct 16 at 12:57 PM
    My post from yesterday..... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5540385

We are looking for a kitchen/diner. Currently have a kitchen with dining room next door (see above post!) This will involve

-knocking 2 loadbearing walls
    -possibly relocating a staircase
    -a new roof on the kitchen diner
    -sliding doors
    -relocating door into kitchen/diner
    -and many other things.....

Should we get an architect in? Or do we not need that? Is it structural engineer and builders? Is our project quite complex that we should get an architect? My heart is telling me we do need one.

Any advice welcome! Thanks!
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 14th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 7,605 Posts
    • 6,837 Thanks
    phill99
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    You don't need an architect. But you do need someone. I suggest a Building Surveyor will be more cost effective. A Structural Engineer will be needed to advise on the load bearing wall removal and associated steelwork. Do not just rely on builders as you will get massive disparities in quotes.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 14th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    I read the previous thread and found the layout of the house confusing. There's plenty of space there though, and I think there would be the potential for an architect* to come up with ideas that would really improve the way the rooms work together. A professional standing in the house might very well spot things that looking at the plans doesn't make apparent. You've little to lose by asking a few architects round for an initial consultation and to give you a price.

*Or a good, skilled architectural technician. A bargain-basement plan drawing handle-turner would be of less value!
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 14th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    Yes, definitely need someone! Just who? Someone who has a good imagination!
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 14th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    tbh (bit biased) but I would say you do need an architect in this situation, you need ideas and someone that understands all the constraints you have to deal with here - up to you but if you get someone that can get you what you want they will pay for themselves.
    It's a difficult job to get right so you need to pick your designer carefully
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 14th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    It's a difficult job to get right so you need to pick your designer carefully
    Originally posted by the_r_sole
    How do you choose an architect? I have asked around for recommendations and asked on my local facebook page. Had a few recommendations but it turned out it was just friends recommending their architect friend. There is a local architect along the road too?
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 14th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    speak to a few of them, look at previous work, get recommendations, get fee quotes - have them visit the house and chat through your ideas - then pick the one you feel most comfortable with.
    Just because it was a friend of a friend, you should still have a chat with them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,138Posts Today

6,044Users online

Martin's Twitter