Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 14th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dcdubber87
    MET services PCN help
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    MET services PCN help 14th Oct 16 at 12:37 PM
    Good afternoon,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, just after a little bit of help and guidance.

On the 8th september myself and partner parked at bicester village train station and bought a ticket and put it in the dashboard as usual. upon returning that evening we had a PCN from MET services for no displayed ticket with the reason ;

no valid ticket/voucher/permit - in breach of railway bylaw 14.

I was a bit shocked and opened the car to find the ticket in the footwell of the car. can only think it blew off when shutting the door as it was a windy day. After reading various things on the internet about this company i did nothing, coupled with being away with working travelling the last 3 weeks. Had a letter come through the post today from MET services titled 'NOTICE TO OWNER' addressed to my wife as it was her car stating the parking charge of 100 is payable and a photo of the rear of the car on the letter.

I still have the notice given and the actual parking ticket i brought. Where do i stand in this situation? has it been to long to appeal it? as the new letter says if you wish to appeal this notice, please do not pay at this time. which makes sense.

any help would be great.
    thanks rob
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 43,051 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    The keeper of the car now appeals to that NTO, using the template blue writing appeal in the 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread, simple as that. All acronyms and reasons why not to name the driver are explained in that sticky thread which also gives you the appeal to use (deliberately saying nothing about the story of what happened).

You will not be paying this so no urgent 'discount deadline' applies.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 14th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    I ALWAYS ALWAYS take a photo on my phone of my ticket in situ.
    • dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 14th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    thanks for the replies, good to know can still send the appeal letter, just wasnt sure as it is more than 28 days after the intial PCN on the car.

never thought of taking a picture of the ticket, will remember that next time.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 14th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Justice13075
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 43,051 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    thanks for the replies, good to know can still send the appeal letter, just wasnt sure as it is more than 28 days after the intial PCN on the car.

never thought of taking a picture of the ticket, will remember that next time.
    Originally posted by dcdubber87
    The keeper gets another 28 days from NTK (NTO) but do NOT appeal as driver nor give that person away...the sticky thread explains.

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 11,603 Posts
    • 17,557 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    A blob of Blutack, or a clothes peg can ensure the ticket doesn't blow off. But some 'wardens' have apparently shaken cars to dislodge the ticket so they can issue a ticket and meet their target for the day.

Every ticket at one stage had a sticky backing, now most private tickets have none - any guesses why?
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 14th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    The keeper of the car now appeals to that NTO, using the template blue writing appeal in the 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread, simple as that. All acronyms and reasons why not to name the driver are explained in that sticky thread which also gives you the appeal to use (deliberately saying nothing about the story of what happened).

You will not be paying this so no urgent 'discount deadline' applies.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    not sure if im going mad but just been reading through the newbie thread and cant seem to find the template to use as basis of the appeal.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 43,051 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    Blue writing.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 11,603 Posts
    • 17,557 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    not sure if im going mad but just been reading through the newbie thread and cant seem to find the template to use as basis of the appeal.
    Originally posted by dcdubber87
    Here's a clue - it's written in blue!
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 13th Feb 17, 12:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    hi again, bit of an update, i appealed the parking charge using the info provided on the site, although after their stated 28 days. and this is the response i recieved before xmas.

As advised on the charge notice, an appeal can be made in writing 28 days from the date of issue. As your
    appeal was recieved on 13/12/2016 the time for lodging and appeal has expeired and the charge notice is oustanding
    and payable.

Whilst your appeal was recieved too late to be considered we can confirm that had you appealed with the time limit it
    is likely that your appeal would have been unsuccessful as you failed to dispaly a valid ticket on your vehicle at the time
    of issue.

Please settle the outstanding amount of 100.

If the charge remians unsettled we will seek the recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures and
    may proceed with court action.

after this letter i recieved nothing for a while but today have just recieved a letter from debt recovery plus ltd asking for a new amount of 150

Demand for payment of an unpaid penalty notice 150.00
    Our client, MET Parking Services Ltd, has written to you recently about the unpaid penalty notice
    detailed above. As they have not recieved payment, they have referred the matter to us.

If you are liable for this charge and do not pay the full amount by 24/02/2017 or if you have not agreed a
    payment option with us by then, we will recommend to the creditor that court action should be taken.

This penatly notice has been issued under section 219 of the transport act 2000, Under the terms of this act,
    if you fail to pay a charge and park on railway land managed by our client your vehicle may be clamped,
    removed and stored until the outstanding penatly and any costs incurred are paid. Alternatively court action
    may be taken.

Where do i stand now? have i just got to bite the bullet and pay for it. due to me being slow in starting the whole process off?

sorry i would have attached an image of the letters but it wouldnt let me as im a new user.

Thanks Rob
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 13th Feb 17, 1:01 PM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 8,570 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    I am told by the driver that the ticket was on display and I have been given the actual ticket as proof.

Please supply photographic evidence that there was no ticket on display in order that I can consider this matter further.
    • dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 13th Feb 17, 1:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    They have taken photos of the car all around but the ticket was on the floor and conveniently there is no photo of it on the floor.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Feb 17, 3:06 PM
    • 43,051 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    This would have been so much easier if you had simply appealed when advised to, in October, within 28 days of the NTK. But at least this pseudo 'penalty' times out after six months, in early March. Sit tight, or reply to string it out longer, using the question posed by Guys Dad (and NOT implying who actually parked/was driving, of course).

• dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 13th Feb 17, 3:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    Yeah I appreciate it would have been easier. Wasn't a great time for it all to happen due to family reasons but that's another story.

So you are saying that once it has been longer than 6 months they can't legally chase you for parking charge notice? Do you recommend I reply to the debt company or MET parking?

Thanks for your help.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Feb 17, 3:50 PM
    • 43,051 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No, I am saying after six months they can't pursue a PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE.

Reply to both with a few questions, that will string it out. DO NOT imply who parked.

• dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 22nd Feb 17, 5:37 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    I have sent both the parking company and debt recovery company a letter asking for proof of no ticket displayed. So does the fact the debt company have referred to it as a penalty notice instead of what it actually is ' a parking charge notice' mean they do not have a leg to stand on?
    Last edited by dcdubber87; 22-02-2017 at 5:51 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Feb 17, 6:13 PM
    • 43,051 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Have they? And was the PCN not a 'penalty charge'? Show us the debt collector letter saying that it was a penalty.

To show a link to a photo on tinypic or where-ever you host it, cover your name & address and the PCN/VRN numbers and then show us the URL: BROKEN, i.e. change http to hxxp.

• dcdubber87
    • By dcdubber87 22nd Feb 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dcdubber87
    I think this is what you mean.

here is the intial notice
    hxxp://i63.tinypic.com/11v66iv.jpg

The reminder
    hxxp://i67.tinypic.com/2cglj4y.jpg

And the debt letter with penalty notice
    hxxp://i63.tinypic.com/25f7xox.jpg
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 22nd Feb 17, 8:24 PM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 8,570 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    I have read online that the Section 219 Transport Act 2000 has been repealed in full. and replaced with 2005 legislation.

Check here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/14/schedule/13/part/1/prospective So I think their chances of pursuing you under that are nil!

Also, they can't clamp you for previous transgressions but probably can if they catch you without a ticket again.

But as this is under byelaws, only the landowner can pursue this and a 6 month statute of limitations is in force.

But look - I am not the best legally qualified to help you here and I suspect some others better informed will advise shortly. Stick around.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,145Posts Today

9,497Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning & goodbye. Now my series is over, I'm going to take a week off work & twitter to spend time with Mrs & mini MSE. Ta ta for now

• RT @JulieGriff4: £2800 paid into my bank thanks to @MartinSLewis advice about packaged accounts. Unexpected and welcome. Great advice ????

• RT @justwanna: Listened to an hour's worth of @MartinSLewis podcasts. Now have a pathological need to save some money!

• Follow Martin