Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sjlbates
    • By sjlbates 14th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    sjlbates
    Job situ - trapped in a deep hole
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    Job situ - trapped in a deep hole 14th Oct 16 at 11:49 AM
    I am stuck in a deep hole and I canít find my way out, can anyone help?
    I joined a private school in a new position as an Ďestate administratorí and my line manager promised me that it was going to be a busy job and had big plans for me. I struggled to keep busy and ended up helping over colleagues. After 6 months my line manager left to go self-employed (only been at the school 8 months in total). I think he got fed up with the people in his team as are not particularly friendly and donít like changes.
    Since then I have hardly do anything during a day (probably 3 hours a week). I was 2 months without a manager and now the new manager started 2 months ago he is struggling to give me work. I had a conversation with the school bursar and he said that I could assist the transport manager and my job title will changeÖbut knowing the school it will take months before this actually happens. I donít see it filling up my day and it will be very mundane boring data entry type work. He said he didn't want it to be seem like he was trying to polish a turd but that is exactly what he is doing!! He said he wouldn't be surprised in the near future if I did hand in my resignation as found a better job! Is that a hint that he actually does want me to leave as knows my Ďjobí is pointless?
    Whilst at work I job hunt online, go on every website I can think of and apply to on average 4/5 jobs a day. I graduated in 2008 and have 8 years of full time administrative roles. I have had some interviews and got a few more lined up. The feedback is always that I come across well but they have gone with someone with more relevant experience. It is getting frustrating to say the least.
    Lots of jobs I donít apply for because they ask for certain amount of experience in a similar role or ask to have used certain systems like Sage and I havenít. I thought being a graduate would help me but it hasnít made one bit of difference. Iíve thought about becoming a childminder at home but think itís too risky as might not be regular income and donít know my area that well. I thought may be doing an Open University course like an MBA could be an option but decided against that because it will cost £4K and wonít have the time.
    I am on antidepressants and if I wasnít I think I would have done something irrational by now Ė like walk out on the job. However, I have my 3 year daughter and my financial commitments to consider Ė mortgage, childcare, car costs etc. This is the only reason why I am at work! So basically they are paying me (quite well) to job hunt!
    Another thing I have to consider is my daughter is starting school next year and would need to cut my hours (as only one that drives, husband is on a provisional licence but canít be bothered to pass test!) If I hang on at the school I might be able to negotiate less hours (considering I do nothing).
    I can only envisage me being at the school getting more unhappy, wasting my skills, brain power and may be going onto another job eventually which has a pay cut with mundane work. May be Iím too ambitious for my own good but always thought I would be in an important well paid job (though didnít know what). People always ask what you do for a living and judge you by what you do and hate having to say Iím an administrator (though donít actually do anything, except going stir crazy as so bored and Iím sure Iím losing a brain cell everyday as not using it!!)
    The only thing I can consider is proposing something to the school but not sure if it would go down well and may be someone else can give me some insight?
    I could suggest that if they would evaluate the support roles and see if there is any short fall and if some assistant is needed in something. I could job share, or have a couple of job roles at the school and for them to consider me doing school hours from next September?
    Otherwise, I have not a clue where to go from here except going round and round in this endless self-pitying depressing cycle that is consuming all my thoughts and effects my mood and self-worth.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    Well if you don't know Sage how about learning it?

There are a couple of online courses but I would go for a 'real' class in your circumstances.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    Are you on antidepressants BECAUSE of this situation, or do you have clinical depression?

It appears at first glance that you are on antidepressents, because of your job situation ,I/e you are depressed due to your circumstances or are you prone to depression?
    Last edited by ska lover; 14-10-2016 at 8:43 PM.
    Blah blah blah.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    People always ask what you do for a living and judge you by what you do and hate having to say Iím an administrator .
    Originally posted by sjlbates
    Can you explain this in more detail, why exactly do you hate saying you are an Administrator? Why do you feel negatively judged
    Blah blah blah.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 14th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    Friday night a big block of text about how your nice little cushy job, paying for your home/family/child, is bumming you out!

You need to do a shift in McDonalds, if you want something a bit busier Having 18 year old "managers" shout at you for not getting a bag of 4 nuggets to the counter quick enough, or for standing around and not wiping the table for the millionth time.

I wonder if that would make you more depressed?

All jobs are rubbish. Yours would be absolute dream job for me, assuming that you are on full time or decent time hours (you did indicate that you had 8 years full time experience between 2008 and now, with a 3 yr old daughter). But do you know what part of your post concerned me?

I thought may be doing an Open University course like an MBA could be an option but decided against that because it will cost £4K and won’t have the time.
    That bit. Why? The "won't have the time" comment! Are you for real?! You've just said the following:

Since then I have hardly do anything during a day (probably 3 hours a week).
    Putting 2+2 together, maybe (just maybe!) your lack of work in work would allow you to study some The way they've treated you doesn't indicate that they would really object to that!

I studied in a call centre, in between calls (and sometimes with pocket notes hidden from the strict managers)! AND it cost me £1k up front! And it led to a job! You're just making excuses.

EDIT: The course I did was AAT. Do you have any such qualification? Could be one viable option for the future.
    Last edited by daytona0; 14-10-2016 at 9:03 PM.
    ent.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 14th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    asajj
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    I was in a very similar position. I used to it to finish up my accountancy qualification. If you have time, use it to learn something new while looking for a job. It is frustrating and it feels very depressing, I know I have been there but try to make something good out of it !

I now regret that I didn't do more but I can't change that. There is nothing wrong to be an administrator or anything else, as long as you work with integrity.

Good luck!
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 14th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    Could you take some books to read/ study from? If they want to pay you for nothing relish it and make something from it
    My 3 targets to end 2016:
    1) To get down to 12 stone for 2016. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 21lb lost : 56lbs to go :s
    2) to find a purpose in life work wise and have a new challenge
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • JJG
    • By JJG 15th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    JJG
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    An OU MBA is £15K+ I'm afraid, £4K won't even get you past the first stage.

What subject is your degree in? It comes across that you want to do more than be an administrator (although there's nothing wrong with that), but you also want something that will fit with school hours. Would something in student support appeal?
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    OU masters degrees start from £4623. Albeit a Business and Management one costs between £13,500 and £17,000 there are plenty more between £4K and £6k depending upon the subject.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    • 26,267 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:37 AM
    what about leaning to be a teaching assistant?

In most places there are others that need help with stuff go looking for work if your line manager won't find you some.

Go talk to the Transport manager and offer to do stuff for them, don't wait for your manager to change your job title.

Try to suck in every admin type job in the place.

Learn new skills and packages if that is what other places are asking for
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,838Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin