Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rdm1965
    • By rdm1965 14th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rdm1965
    Microsoft Office
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    Microsoft Office 14th Oct 16 at 11:07 AM
    Hi
    I want to buy or subscribe to Microsoft Office.
    On Ebay people are selling activation codes for Microsoft Office 2016, for low prices.
    Are these legit,or are they extremely dodgy?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 14th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 11,350 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    I get it for £9.95 through work, I imagine these are doing the same.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 8,715 Posts
    • 9,777 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    I get it for £9.95 through work, I imagine these are doing the same.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    As the Microsoft Home user program now only allows each licence to be used on one computer and each eligible employee can only purchase one licence, I would be very surprised if this was the case.
    I would have thought that once the licence has been used to activate Office once then any further attempts would fail.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Oct 16, 11:57 PM
    • 23,355 Posts
    • 9,209 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:57 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:57 PM
    If its like activating windows then after approx 6 months the key works again without having to jump through hoops with a new key because of hardware changes.

Although 2 computers connecting for updates will probably be an issue.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 15th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    Hi
    I want to buy or subscribe to Microsoft Office.
    On Ebay people are selling activation codes for Microsoft Office 2016, for low prices.
    Are these legit,or are they extremely dodgy?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Originally posted by rdm1965
    I'd say most are probably dodgy.

Maybe an odd person has got one through work, as mentioned, doesn't want it so is selling it.

However, most probably aren't legit especially if they're selling multiple ones. It's more likely they're generating keys to sell then buying them legit and selling on.

I don't know if it's right about the keys working again after 6 months, but that isn't a legit way of gaining a key anyway if the other person is still using it and you will be linking yourself to them. So that should certainly be avoided.

It's safer to buy it through Microsoft or a shop then buy a key off ebay.
    • gollum007
    • By gollum007 15th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    gollum007
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    The usual trick with these is to purchase them with stolen credit card details.

Months down the line when the owner of the credit card used notices the fradulent transactions and charges them back, the keys are revoked without warning.

Happens reasonably regularly with batches of PC games keys being revoked, will almost certainly be the same case with office too.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 15th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    I'd say most are probably dodgy.

Maybe an odd person has got one through work, as mentioned, doesn't want it so is selling it.

However, most probably aren't legit especially if they're selling multiple ones.
    Originally posted by Flyonthewall
    Even if they are the odd person who got one through work and doesn't want it, it is not legitimate to sell them on as these licences are restricted only to employees and reselling is a breach of the licence agreement. Note that I'm not saying MS could instantly tell you were not an employee of a qualifying company if you used one, just that the use as such is not legitimate.

MS do have the capability to revoke the authorisation whenever you update if they do happen to suspect shenanigans regarding your licence and all the keys are traceable back to the original source company, who should also be able to trace it back to the person it was issued too. Again, I don't know if this has ever happened in this sort of circumstance, but the audit trails do exist for this sort of thing and have definitely been used at a corporate level, so there is a risk, if small, in both buying and selling these sorts of keys.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 18th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 3,248 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    I am surprised that ebay are not outlawing this as it almost certainly dodgy.

I do not know much about these activation codes, but they might actually be selling just trial membership which is free I believe.
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 18th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    I am surprised that ebay are not outlawing this as it almost certainly dodgy.

I do not know much about these activation codes, but they might actually be selling just trial membership which is free I believe.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    "Digitally delivered goods and items which are transferred electronically are not permitted on eBay."

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/buying-digital-items.html

It's not just MS Office, it happens with other software too. They could do more to stop it, but they're making money from it so they probably won't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter