Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 14th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 195Posts
    • 44Thanks
    k1rkyc
    Allergy?
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    Allergy? 14th Oct 16 at 10:51 AM
    Hi all,

A little history first before I ask my question.....

My partner and I adopted a cat from our local rescue centre back in March. She's a 1 yr old DSH. Her story was that her previous owners found out their 3 year old daughter had an allergy to her.

Since we've had her, she's had an episode of fleas (not as bad as some stories I hear!) and has bought us a lot of *presents* - she loves birds unfortunately! In her first week with us she would sleep between us on the sofa and sometime on our laps but now she likes to be left alone when she sleeps and sometimes doesn't sleep in the same room as us!

Anyway, over the last 3 weeks she's been cleaning herself a lot. Not just licking, she's been biting, especially her back end, and also been stratching her ears. We've inspected her several times and haven't seen any bugs on her. She does have a patch one one back leg where the hair has disappeared a little and she also has what looks like dandruff. She just seems to be in distress with something.

We took her to the vet on Weds night and the Vet said there was nothing obviously wrong with her and that it may be an allergy. She looked right down into her ears and said there was a little gunk, but nothing to really worry about. She ended up giving her a Steroid injection and said to see how we got on.

Since then, the biting/itching has calmed down a little, but she's still doing it and seems very dejected She's not herself, she's not eating her food like she did before - usually she eats very quickly!

It also seems like she also doesn't really want to be near us and doesn't like us touching her. I went to stroke her this morning, and although she was purring she wouldn't let me

Does anyone have any ideas? I just want my happy loving kitty back but she seems down at the moment! I just worry that she's allergic to something... but what we don't know!

The vet also mentioned we could try a 'Natural Fatty Acid' supplement?
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    She could have mites.

When I got my first cavalier puppy, many years ago, within weeks he had completely removed the hair from one hip area, though there was no skin damage , but some skin was black and the edges of his ears were also bald.

The vet (PDSA at the time) put him on steroids, with very limited effect,as when the tablets stopped the irritation began again.

A few weeks later, I met a lady, who had also been to the same PDSA surgery, with the same problem and treatment, so decided to go to a private vet.

This vet said that such young dogs should not have been given steroids, gave her dog a skin scrape, found mites and treated and treated for them.

At my request, the PDSA vet did a skin scrape and found no sign of mites, but after the other dog recovered so well, actually treated Monty for mites...He healed very quickly with no further problems.

My point is that they can have mites, even when a skin scrape shows negative.

Also, an animal can have fleas without you seeing any, but the telltale signs are small black specks which when touched with damp kitchen roll, leave a pink stain.

I did this on my two dogs, last week , but did actually see three fleas (all treated now), though they are the first infestation I've had in over 40 years of dog ownership.
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 14th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    k1rkyc
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I thought she might have something on her as the biting almost seems as though she's trying to catch something on her, if that makes sense?!

She's got NO flea poop on her at all, we know how to inspect for those. She's also had the injection that lasts 7 months. Ok, it wont stop one jumping on her and biting her, but it will stop them breeding on her. Vet confirmed it's not fleas.

Would the mites be visable to the human eye?

My poor baby girl really isn't herself. I've got home from work and she's nowhere to be seen and she's not touched her dry food

Is it worth taking her back to the vets again? Anythng we can give her ourselves?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I thought she might have something on her as the biting almost seems as though she's trying to catch something on her, if that makes sense?!

She's got NO flea poop on her at all, we know how to inspect for those. She's also had the injection that lasts 7 months. Ok, it wont stop one jumping on her and biting her, but it will stop them breeding on her. Vet confirmed it's not fleas.

Would the mites be visable to the human eye?

My poor baby girl really isn't herself. I've got home from work and she's nowhere to be seen and she's not touched her dry food

Is it worth taking her back to the vets again? Anythng we can give her ourselves?
    Originally posted by k1rkyc

There are lots of different type of mite, some microscopic.

My Teddy (cavalier) has an allergy (Proved by tests) to household dust mites and these don't live on him but in dust. He used to bite himself raw, but was put on Atopica, which reduced the 'self harm' to just scratching with no skin damage (some scratching being habit).

However, over time (he's 13), he came to not tolerate the drug (given once a week as a maintenance dose ) being sick just after taking, so we took him off it, as it wasn't staying inside him long enough to work. He scratches more now and occasionally nibbles his paws, but the only other option is a monthly injection which the vet said was not guaranteed to work, as he possibly has another allergy which cannot be realistically traced.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 14-10-2016 at 5:46 PM.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 22,130 Posts
    • 55,128 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    Have you tried changing her food - or have you recently changed her food and that could have triggered the onset of the allergy?

I had a dog who had a skin allergy, started biting his own skin and licking constantly. He ended up on a wheat-free dry food, which solved the issue.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 15th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    k1rkyc
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    Not changed her food, she's been eating the same stuff (different flavours, same brand!) for 4 months.

She seems a little calmer today BUT ive just combed her with the flea comb and much to my dismay I captured a little bug 😢 It was long, brown-orange and it hopped off the comb..... flea? Could it be something else?

What I can't understand is, she's had the injection (ok, I know it only stops them breeding and doesn't stop them jumping on and biting her) and the vet said 'no, it won't be fleas' - she didn't check?!

Could it be fleas? We've not seen any on her, today is the first time.

Gutted. The other half is nearly at a point of wanting to let go of her as she's really stressed about the flea thing (we had them in the house a few months ago before Purdy had the injection!) 😢

What can I do?!? Arrrrrrrrh!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    The fleas you had earlier will have laid eggs which could be hatching out now, hence a new lot of fleas.

These eggs could be anywhere and everywhere the cat went. If she lay on your clothes then they could have been spread around from them.

If she goes outside she could be getting reinfected and bringing them in to continue the cycle.

Have you treated the house?

You can get a household spray online, from the pet shop or from your vet. Look for along lasting one such as Zodiac, Acclaim, Indorex. Avoid Bob Martin products

Check the instructions carefully to make sure they are suitable for your home.

Hoover everywhere thoroughly, especially down the sides of furniture, under cushions, along the skirting boards. Flea lay eggs in dark corners.

Then use the spray as directed.
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 15th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    k1rkyc
    • 15th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    The fleas she had were 3 months ago and at the time we deep cleaned the house and used 3 large cans of flea spray (stuff from the vets) so I'm pretty sure we got rid of everything. Plus, we only have carpet on the stairs and on bedrooms and she doesn't go in the bedrooms.

I didn't realise having a cat could be so stressful 😢 I just want her to be happy again!
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 15th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    • 15th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    Have you tried brushing a small amount of Thornit through her fur? Wouldn't hurt to brush a small amount in her ears either x
    Good on the Tories
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 15th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    k1rkyc
    No, I've not heard of Thornit, I will google it, thanks.

Thanks for all your replies, it's good to talk to people who understand! 👍🏼
    • k1rkyc
    • By k1rkyc 16th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    k1rkyc
    So since finding that bug on her yesterday she's not scratched or bitten herself at all! ���� How weird though.... could that 1 bug have lived on her for a few weeks and I've found that it was the cause of her scratching/licking?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter