Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mparter
    • By mparter 14th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 355Posts
    • 72Thanks
    mparter
    Used Car Warranty
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    Used Car Warranty 14th Oct 16 at 10:42 AM
    My wife bought a used Audi from Evans Halshaw just over a week ago. At the time she was pressured/scared into taking out an extended warranty.

Once she actually read what wasn't covered, she decided it wasn't fit for purpose so contacted the garage. They are now saying that under the terms and conditions it cannot be cancelled. The salesman said he could cancel it from there but there would be a £100 charge.
    1. Surely when you sign any contract, there's a 14 day cooling off period? She is still within that. He claims that's an internet misnomer!
    2. She even said in front of the salesman at the time that if she changed her mind she could cancel it within 14 days. At no point did he correct her or say she couldn't.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 14th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    Surely when you sign any contract, there's a 14 day cooling off period?
    Originally posted by mparter
    Not necessarily, contracts signed in "store" are often exempt from a cooling off period.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 14th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 7,693 Posts
    • 11,345 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    There is no cooling off period if you entered the business premises (the garage) and placed an order, its only if you are cold called at home for doorstep sales.

I agree with your wife that she should get rid of the warranty as they are rubbish.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • fiish
    • By fiish 15th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    fiish
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    Have you read the terms and conditions (I assume you have a copy of them) to see if a cooling off period is mentioned?

The extended warranty for my car explicitly says in writing (on the front page no less) that I have a 14 day cooling off period, and perhaps yours might do, too?
    Debt free and watching my savings shrink!
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 15th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    Is this not technically an insurance product, and I thought with that type of product you did get a cooling off period?

Check your paperwork and call the number of the company who the cover is provided by.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin