Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 14th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 5,176Posts
    • 23,426Thanks
    thorsoak
    Too late for nematodes?
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    Too late for nematodes? 14th Oct 16 at 9:14 AM
    I have had a plague of the biggest, most horrible slugs this year - even found them in the utility room devouring the cat food!

I've been using nematodes for the past couple of months (every 2 weeks) but now I'm wondering if I will be wasting them if I continue to use them during the winter??
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    It depends where you are - they don't really survive below 5% so you could be throwing your money away if you are in a colder area. Certainly stop at first frost.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 20,394 Posts
    • 40,203 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    Nematodes? As in parasitic roundworms?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 14th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 7,568 Thanks
    splishsplash
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:10 PM
    I like slugs (and snails) but I have a visceral reaction to the thought of nematodes. They remind me too much of what a new stray cata can yak up before I can get them dosed . Sooo nasty.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 14th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    Corona
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    I've only ever used nematodes for vine weevils and then only in August (or early September if it's mild). Depends where you live / what the weather is doing (as someone-else has already pointed out). I would ask myself: what's the worse mistake I could make: pay for nematodes when it's too cold to use them, or not use them when I could have done? Your answer will tell you what to do
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter