Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Oct 16, 6:19 AM
    • 2,496Posts
    • 32,980Thanks
    O/S Daily Friday 14 October 2016
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:19 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 14 October 2016 14th Oct 16 at 6:19 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 14 October 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, looks dry underfoot.

DH up and gone to work, DS1 now getting ready to go to work, DS2 still in his pit, will leave him there, he didn't feel great last night, so hopefully he'll feel better this morning after a good rest.

Dinner last night was disjointed, DS2 and myself had jacket potatoes, DH had egg, bacon, fried new potatoes - when DS2 and I got back from a meeting at college, DS1 went out to friends for pizza, he got back approx 8.50pm. Tonight not exactly sure what we will be having, so need to organise that when I do the food shopping this morning, I have menu planned for the rest of the week up until next Friday - I'm trying to do the GC on my own and this is the last shop of the month for me, it's going to be very tight, although the menu for the next week is using a lot of food from the freezers and store cupboard - we'll see, how we get on!

I wasn't very productive again yesterday, although I did manage to get the dirty wash basket empty, although it does have more in it now, I tackled the ironing mountain, I visited building society and bank, also the butchers, I made telephone call for DH re his personal pension, which we now are in the process of sorting out what's going on, and to some extent it's being sorted, he has a form to complete and return once he receives it, then the d/debit can be started again, I was told yesterday they wrote out to my DH in 2009 asking him to sign a form and return it so that the d/debit would continue with effect from September 2016 - what company asks you to consent to something that's not going to happen for 7 years and doesn't ever remind you when they state they haven't received the said completed form? - he had his annual statement dated 5 August this year and they stopped taking the money that month and there's no mention of it stopping on that statement, I have made a complaint, as there's some very misleading information in that statement, but on the whole it's going to be sorted, and a lot of the issues are to do with legislation changes re the pension changes.

This morning I'll be heading to the SM first thing, I'm going to try to stay within budget, I'm very interested to see how I get on, staying within/being below is a very tall order but I want to have a go. I'll try to do some housework also today as nothing got touched in that respect yesterday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 14-10-2016 at 6:54 AM.
Page 2
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 32,980 Thanks
    Afternoon everyone

Just a quick check in, I've done the food shopping today and doing my own GC - today is the start of the last week, and I had £68 ish left to spend, shopping in MrA**i came to £67.62 - all good, but I can't get everything I want in MrA so went to MrMorries, and spent another £12 - so at the moment have a £10.98 overspend - so bearing in mind I haven't really made us go without anything, and I've been extra careful with LO's etc, I'm not too disappointed with that, I feel so much more in control and have a benchmark to work too, so will likely keep the same budget next month, bearing in mind its not far from Xmas etc, once we get into the New Year I'll start really cutting back. I'm sure using the Butcher has helped too, hoping I don't need to buy anything else this week as menu is planned and food accounted for. I'm now off to find a sweet potato soup recipe that takes my fancy, although I don't really have any space in the freezer put it once I've made it - one of my habits I need to address!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 14th Oct 16, 3:05 PM
    • 8,714 Posts
    • 60,653 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Lainey, that is awful Your poor Mum must be devastated! Give her a big hug from me and tell we all care xxx

Thank you all for your kind wishes xx
    Shoulder still bad, I don't know whether to go back for another appointment or just have it out with her when I go back

DH took me to B&M today, I picked up a couple more gifts so only a few left to get now.

Going to Hemel next week and hopefully I will be nearly finishedby then apart from a PS 3 game that DS wants and won't be out until the end of November, and MIL's gardening voucher that I will pick up from the garden centre in December when we will take my friend's graddaughter up to see the reindeer and displays.

Right must put kettle on for DH before hegoes back to work
    BFN x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 23,578 Thanks
    Afternoon everyone - a late one from me.

My morning was very lazy and, so far, my afternoon has been busy. Not running around busy but sorting out various spreadsheets and paperwork.

My SIL - well, my brother's widow really - sent me a lovely long email from Oz. She's still trying to sort out her sons' probate as there wasn't a will and he was not married to his girlfriend. It's all very tangled and complicated. Luckily her second son is a lawyer so he's helping even though probate isn't his speciality. I've written her an equally long reply, just catching up.

I'm so very glad that I cut the lawn yesterday as it's been raining today and it's forecast to keep on coming.

I've transferred my ISA and found it not only very easy but very fast too.

Now it's time to have a late lunch and do some more work on a third spreadsheet, never ends!

Lainey - my heart breaks for your lovely mum, how careless some people are with others needs.

TA - keep your strength up, soon you'll have your house back, your son happy and time to spend with your OH.

Lovely to read about the meet up, it's always great to have one with fellow MSErs.
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 14th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Afternoon everyone, hope you are all well.

Financially not a good couple of days for me, Iím feeling very disappointed in myself for making the decision to get on track with our finances then letting my hubby talk me into buying things we didnít need. Anyway, lesson learned, I will be firmer next time.

On with the positives, found my DD a beautiful dress in a charity shop yesterday for £2.59. Will be perfect for any parties she has over the next year. Also sold one of my old dresses on eBayÖIím selling everything thatís not nailed down at the moment!

Talking of darning, I ripped a hole in my jumper yesterday, no idea howÖa big hole right in the front at the middle! Tried fixing it and it looked horrendous, although I suppose the location of the hole meant it was unlikely to ever look good. I hate binning things, but it was the only place for it unfortunately!

Sorry to hear what happened to your mum Lainey 
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 6,535 Thanks
    Just a fleeting visit, LaineyT, that's really poor.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 95,423 Thanks
    Lainey I have Jack here, and he's anxious to give you and your Mum a big Spaniel hug. I agree with those who have said you should make a formal complaint; it's too late for your Mum to "un-know", but it might save another poor soul from the same thing.

Mr LW has been and fetched my 30-year-old boots from the menders; £10.99 for them to be re-heeled, vs gods-know-how-much for a new pair..... it's a no-brainer! The little place in Stony Stratford does a really good job, too.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 4,556 Posts
    • 23,578 Thanks
    The window cleaner turned up an hour ago and is doing a splendid job! They haven't been cleaned properly for two years and are now sparkling.

The bad news is that he's winding down his business in the next couple of years and there's no-one to replace him yet!

Happy for now though.

KitKatMum - no need to beat yourself up, just do as you are doing, strengthen your resolve and look to tomorrow!

There's a lovely sunset over the sea. A camper van of Americans stopped outside my house and asked the way to their destination - seems that he husband's grandmother shared the estate name and he's now home. Got to love them!
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 14th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 3,068 Posts
    • 14,184 Thanks
    LAINEY - a big hug from me too. What a shock it would be for your mum when she read that. Someone should be held accountable so certainly take it further. x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,926Posts Today

6,038Users online

Martin's Twitter