Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patchy987
    • By patchy987 14th Oct 16, 1:27 AM
    • 419Posts
    • 232Thanks
    patchy987
    Home insurance claim help please
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:27 AM
    Home insurance claim help please 14th Oct 16 at 1:27 AM
    Hi

OK so due to a fire I am having to have a new kitchen put in which has been agreed by my insurers.

My problem is that the builder doing the work is only giving me a choice of one kitchen to have put in and it's horrible.

I have questioned this as surely as long as I don't go over budget I should be allowed to choose the kitchen I like.

Am I wrong in thinking this ? Please help me
    trying to lose 3 stone by end of 2014
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Oct 16, 7:55 AM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:55 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:55 AM
    what do your insurers say about it? Have you told them?
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 14th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    It sounds like the builder is trying to force upon you a kitchen he has got on the cheap or had lying around.
    You should have a choice, within reason (you can't expect betterment but can expect a reasonable substitute). Talk to your insurer, your contract is with them, they have the contract with the builder.

Alot of insurers will also allow you to contribute to the cost if you want to upgrade, but you cannot expect the insurer to pay for things you didn't have before.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 16th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    Your first point of call would be to discuss this with your insurer; it seems a poor choice on their part to only have one supplier / contractor who in turn has a choice of 1 kitchen ...

Your insurer may go one of two ways - they may invite you to get a quote for a similar kitchen from one of the bigger national fitters (as long as it is broadly comparable in terms of cost and spec). If they stick to their guns though, you will almost certainly have the option of a cash settlement at the price your insurer would pay for this kitchen offered by the fitter. That'll go some way (if not 100% of the way) to getting your own, nicer kitchen, fitted.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 16th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    If the kitchen is like for like for what you had, and you just don't like it, then you can ask them for the cash that they would pay to that builder instead. (Although this won't be the full cost of the kitchen as your insurer likely gets a huge discount on things like kitchens).
    Capital One:£1,279.60/£1,300.00
    Aqua: £285.73/£300.00
    o2: £271.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

6,830Users online

Martin's Twitter