Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 14th Oct 16, 12:51 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 50Thanks
    mrscmd
    Missed the deadline for Claims on deceased's Estate
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:51 AM
    Missed the deadline for Claims on deceased's Estate 14th Oct 16 at 12:51 AM
    Hello

I have just discovered a close relative (but one who was a recluse) died earlier this year. She was not in contact with any relatives whatsoever, the only one being my mother who herself died in 2009.

The notice asking for anyone with an interest was put in the London Gazette (which I have to admit it has never occurred to me to look at) with the expiry date for claims being June 2016.

The date of probate was 06 October 2016 (she died in March 2016).

Of course there is no question of any liability - the notice was there and it is my bad luck I was unaware - but I just wondered if it is too late to let the solicitor who dealt with the probate know (I have read the disclaimer bit in the notice) that I am the closest living relative and therefore would have had an interest, had I seen the notice?

Many thanks
    Last edited by mrscmd; 14-10-2016 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Sp.
Page 2
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 15th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mrscmd
    You will probably need the details of both estates.
    Originally posted by getmore4less

There is no will listed on the Gov.UK will list for the elder sister who died at the beginning of last year - so I presume, as the house would have been jointly owned, the younger sister simply had whatever there was between them.

Only the younger sister's will has been listed. As I think possible, maybe the care home fees were to come out of the estate once both sisters were gone - they were both in their 90's.

I do not know where I stand with no attempt to contact any relatives - I understood this was part of the executor's job?

Once I have the will and can see (hopefully) what my aunt's instructions were - and perhaps interestingly what date the will was made - then I will know what ammo I have before I go back to the solicitors and ask who cleared the house and why they made no effort to find relatives.

I got the impression the house was cleared some time ago, which would have been before the grant - I always waited 6 months before doing anything major with the estates I dealt with, just in case.
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 15th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mrscmd
    Gosh.. oh well at least I know now - the stuff has just popped up on my computer.. they left net £469,983.

It has been shared between the Fire Brigade and the RNLI, which is wonderful. A very small amount plus all furniture and other items has gone to some chap unknown.

Fair enough - the will was clear. He got the photographs !

At least I know nothing untoward was going on.

Thank you everyone for your input. I can rest easy now!
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 15th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    poppystar
    Trace chap unknown. He may be very willing to share photos or copy them or leave them to you at a later date.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,016 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    My thinking is that the naming of 'Chap Unknown' could explain why the OP was not contacted. There was a will, the solicitors dealt with the will as it stood, and there was no mention of OP or other family in the will.

I agree that getting in touch with Chap Unknown would be the way to go. It is possible the solicitors would forward a letter to him if you can't find him by other means. Make it clear you are not challenging the will but would be interested in family photos and knowing that items of sentimental value had gone where they were wanted.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! Current projects: 2 shawls, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 16th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mrscmd
    Thank you both.. I have actually written a letter, with my heart in my boots as I do not want him to think I am some awful leech, which I am not.

Hopefully I have explained the position acceptably - I have told him I will completely understand if he prefers not to answer my letter.

I do have his address so will post the letter tomorrow.. gulp.

What would be wonderful is if he actually came back with some information re their later life - I know a great deal about their early life in the 20's and 30's and of course I knew them in the 50's onwards but after the 90's we heard little and then nothing, most likely down to them getting on a bit and not feeling like writing.

I will post on here if I hear anything.. even if it is just a flea in my ear.
    Last edited by mrscmd; 16-10-2016 at 5:54 PM.
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 16th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    poppystar

What would be wonderful is if he actually came back with some information re their later life - I know a great deal about their early life in the 20's and 30's and of course I knew them in the 50's onwards but after the 90's we heard little and then nothing, most likely down to them getting on a bit and not feeling like writing.

Originally posted by mrscmd
    Did you put that in the letter? He may be very happy to chat, especially if he too is elderly and alone (ok, making assumptions there..). Showing an interest in their lives and also explaining about your father may tip the likelihood of a reply in your favour. I'm sure it would if I were 'chap unknown'
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 16th Oct 16, 7:17 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mrscmd
    I did say I knew all about their upbringing and early life (and the reasons why they became recluses.. or the Lost Aunts as they have become known as to my family.. sounds more romantic!) but I did not like to assume too much.. the chap is 68, 5 years older than myself.. his name means nothing so I would love to know how he knows them.. all to be asked if and when he is willing.. I also told him a bit about their father, my grandpa and why I would love any further pics of him, should there be any.

Fingers crossed.
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 20th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mrscmd
    I received a wonderful number of photographs this morning! I am so happy and thrilled - and amongst them is a wonderful photo of my grandpa, in his uniform as a young fireman! Many pics of my parents, too, as well as the aunts and my grandparents.

Feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you, people, who advised to write - I really was not going to as I was worried he might think I was trying something untoward - but what he has sent is utterly priceless. XXXX
    • poppystar
    • By poppystar 20th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    poppystar
    So pleased he was happy to send you the photos - and so quickly too! Thank you for letting us know the outcome.
    Last edited by poppystar; 20-10-2016 at 8:21 PM.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 20th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Well done! I had a similar experience about twenty years ago. I sent a very carefully worded letter and heard nothing for a month. Then a package arrived with a DVD of photos and a complete family tree. The sender was, it turned out, related to me and we were subsequently able to exchange many files of data that enabled us both to fill in lots of gaps. Fantastic!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 21st Oct 16, 5:31 AM
    • 26,241 Posts
    • 15,785 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Well done! I had a similar experience about twenty years ago. I sent a very carefully worded letter and heard nothing for a month. Then a package arrived with a DVD of photos and a complete family tree. The sender was, it turned out, related to me and we were subsequently able to exchange many files of data that enabled us both to fill in lots of gaps. Fantastic!
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    That's impressive recordable DVD only came to the market 15 years ago(2001)
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 21st Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Recordable DVDs became available in 1995!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 21st Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 26,241 Posts
    • 15,785 Thanks
    getmore4less
    The first DVD spec was finished 1996 the first drives/discs 1997

recordable started 1997 with the commercial pioneer DVR S-101 and became affordable(<$1000) with the pioneer DVR-103 in 2001 fitted to PC and Mac.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 21st Oct 16, 3:39 PM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I received a wonderful number of photographs this morning! I am so happy and thrilled - and amongst them is a wonderful photo of my grandpa, in his uniform as a young fireman! Many pics of my parents, too, as well as the aunts and my grandparents.

Feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you, people, who advised to write - I really was not going to as I was worried he might think I was trying something untoward - but what he has sent is utterly priceless. XXXX
    Originally posted by mrscmd
    That's so lovely to hear. What a lovely outcome.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • mrscmd
    • By mrscmd 22nd Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mrscmd
    Just to end the story - I plucked up the courage to telephone the chap and found out he had known them for over 30 years, doing maintenance for them. He knew nothing about them, other than they 'were a little strange and kept themselves to themselves', although he knew they had had a brother.
    He said he was still sorting the stuff and was going to take the photos to the tip as he did not know what to do with them.. thank heaven I wrote!

I am still overwhelmed... these pics mean the world and more to me!

Happy ending!
    • Applecart
    • By Applecart 22nd Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Applecart
    That's impressive recordable DVD only came to the market 15 years ago(2001)
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    How rude! and pointless.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 22nd Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 4,478 Posts
    • 5,638 Thanks
    theoretica
    What a nice ending - thank you for telling us.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,102Posts Today

5,433Users online

Martin's Twitter