Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • booter
    • By booter 13th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 1,546Posts
    • 1,926Thanks
    booter
    Dental crown - any advice :)
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    Dental crown - any advice :) 13th Oct 16 at 11:49 PM
    I'm hoping you lovely dentists will be able to give me some advice.

I have a porcelain crown on one of my front teeth. If I recall correctly, it's attached to a stub of what remained of my broken front tooth, which was root filled as the break exposed the nerve. (I could be wrong here, as it was done just over 30 years ago - good vfm there though!)

Over the 30+ years, (as I've become "longer in the tooth" and my gums have receded) the margin of the crown has become exposed (at the gum line) so you can now see approx 1.5mm. It also seems to have gradually moved forward. So now other front tooth (the real one) the one the crown was matched to, now doesn't match - the tooth is slightly shorter (I assume from wear) s slightly darker and sits a little ways back from the crown.

If it's relevant, I do have gum disease, but this is now under control (so he tells me!) and I also clench my teeth at night, which resulted in a night mouth guard.

When I went for my check up 18 months ago, my dentist said that if I wanted to replace it, it would have to be done privately (costing around £350). But on the following check up, he said that it could be done via the NHS, but this was porcelain on metal, and the margin would still be visible. But if I had it done privately, it could be all porcelain, so no visible margin, and a much better colour match.

I'm (sadly) currently on a low income, so qualify for free NHS treatment. However, if I do have the crown replaced, I like to have both the best possible match (I'm getting references to Nanny McFee now ) and I'd like it to last as long as the original crown! (I know, I don't want much do I?!)

So, my questions are: how difficult a job is it to do? Do I run the risk of losing my own "stub" and if so, what would happen if I do? And what's the difference between private & NHS crowns (apart from the price)?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 14th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 8,562 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    A crown, on average, will last you 10-12 years - so no-one could promise you 30+ years from your next one. If the tooth underneath it has been root filled, then that will have deteriorated a bit over that time too - and it could well be a failure in that that does for the tooth in the end. Plus, 30+ years of the effects of gum disease would mean the foundations now are not as good as they were 30 yrs ago either.

To be done on the NHS, the dentist would be operating to a tight budget, so the result isn't going to be as aesthetically good as one provided privately. But it will be (should be) perfectly functional.

If the tooth underneath fails though, then whatever you've paid for the new crown, it would have to be redone, or extracted - depending on how it's failed.

Hope that's helpful - but without seeing it, very general advice is all that can be given.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • reshneha
    • By reshneha 14th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    reshneha
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    My Advice is to Mostly crowns are used to entirely cover a damaged tooth or implant and to improve a tooth’s appearance and shape.because of mine also had done dental implants in last 6 months so my dentist Dr motiwala suggested that these crowns.A crown can help strengthen a tooth with a large filling and also helps to protect a weak tooth and attach bridges.
    Especially crown is a good way to cover teeth and dental implants. so if you want to use crowns first consult the dentist and he also recommends a crown so it is probably to correct one of these conditions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,138Posts Today

6,044Users online

Martin's Twitter