Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kteara
    • By kteara 13th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    • 229Posts
    • 39Thanks
    kteara
    Budgeting advice for my new job on 18,000 per annum
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:40 PM
    Budgeting advice for my new job on 18,000 per annum 13th Oct 16 at 10:40 PM
    Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I graduated university in May this year (2016) and I have since been working at a used car dealership, five minutes from my house. I've managed to land a job just now which is based on my IT degree at a prestigious company for 18k a year. What is everyone's thoughts on this salary?

It equates to 1283 per month after tax which I don't feel too amazing about but I have no other choice. I really am motivated by money and would like to earn as much as possible.Can you help me budget this money? I live at home and I only pay for the gym (37p/m) and my fuel for this job will cost me (120p/m)

I am considering staying at this used car dealership weekend which is an extra 320 per month, bringing it to a grand total of 1603 per month. This will be working 7 days a week which I don't mind doing in this current mindset.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kteara; 14-10-2016 at 8:17 AM.
Page 2
    • Dird
    • By Dird 14th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    Dird
    I think some of the people posting here are long in the tooth and think of 18k when 18k was worth more.

The reason you are only offered 18k is because your role is not an actual graduate job. A "prestigious company" would be offering 22k+ for a graduate role.

You should have had a IT job lined up 12 months ago so even if it's less than you expected it's a no-brainer to accept so you have something to put on your CV. Depending on the role I'd be searching for a new one still (if you don't really want to do it) e.g. my friend did a non-graduate SEO role for similar pay and years later he was still stuck on similar pay. He's only now just managed to get a development role so he's wasted years on lower money with little transferable skills. And keep the car job if you don't mind sacrificing your social life, tax free boost

In terms of money saving your gym membership is a horrible :f Pure Gym here is 16/month
    Last edited by Dird; 14-10-2016 at 2:38 PM.
    Mortgage (Nov 15): 79,950 | Cashback sites: 785 | Current accounts: 15
    Mortgage (Nov 16): 76,486 | 30k in 2016 #96: 27,530 (91.7%)
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 14th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    lstar337
    I've managed to land a job just now which is based on my IT degree at a prestigious company for 18k a year. What is everyone's thoughts on this salary?
    Originally posted by kteara
    It's more than I earn, and I have been employed almost 15 years.

It's a first job, stop expecting the world on a stick!
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 14th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 16,088 Posts
    • 25,600 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I think some of the people posting here are long in the tooth and think of 18k when 18k was worth more.

The reason you are only offered 18k is because your role is not an actual graduate job. A "prestigious company" would be offering 22k+ for a graduate role.
    Originally posted by Dird
    I guess that's true - I had my first 'post university job' in 2002, and that paid 18k back then. Even then I was a bit miffed it wasn't more but thankful for the experience. At the time, London graduate jobs were paying 24k-ish in IT.

So - are you in a role in this organisation that has a clear progression to more responsibility/money?

Are they providing training?

Are you working alongside other graduates?

Is the job located in London, SE, or somewhere else?

It's hard to evaluate if you're paid right for the job without knowing these.
    • AlexPF
    • By AlexPF 14th Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    AlexPF
    Area in the UK and role in IT?
    • kteara
    • By kteara 14th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    kteara
    I guess that's true - I had my first 'post university job' in 2002, and that paid 18k back then. Even then I was a bit miffed it wasn't more but thankful for the experience. At the time, London graduate jobs were paying 24k-ish in IT.

So - are you in a role in this organisation that has a clear progression to more responsibility/money?

Are they providing training?

Are you working alongside other graduates?

Is the job located in London, SE, or somewhere else?

It's hard to evaluate if you're paid right for the job without knowing these.
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    It is a small IT department but there is definitely progession to more responsibility/money. I am not sure how clear it is but I should definitely expect a pay rise after my probation period (6months). After that it is a bit unclear but I plan to stay here for atleast 1-2 years and then move if the salary is better.

I am not working alongside other graduates.

It is located in the south east just outside the m25.

Area in the UK and role in IT?
    Originally posted by AlexPF
    South east, just outside the m25.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 9,319 Posts
    • 9,140 Thanks
    zx81
    I want to give this new job 110% as to improve and become promoted
    Originally posted by kteara
    Why not 120%?
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 14th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 16,088 Posts
    • 25,600 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Why not 120%?
    Originally posted by zx81
    He's not just a one trick pony, or a 10 trick pony.. he's a whole field of ponies running to give 110% at his new job! (RIP Stuart B)

It's hard to say on wages, because one IT job is often very different to another. Are you a coder? Are you on the helpdesk? First line/Second line/SME? Are you a consultant? Are you into networks/infosec? Are you a BA? DBA?

IT can be a pretty varied career if you've got a degree and a desire to do stuff. I always felt sorry the guys that ended up on the help-desk as graduates.. I guess you've got to start somewhere but it never looked very interesting.
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 14-10-2016 at 4:52 PM.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 14th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    I wish i was on 18k after graduating it is a good wage 1283-157 leaves you 1126 after expenses, do you have a mobile phone etc. that are other expenses, That is a whole lot of disposable income. My advise to what to do with that is if your looking to move out as some point start saving for a deposit even saving 500 will leave you with 626 per month to do what you want with which i would say is plenty unless you have expensive tastes or are out every night at the weekend
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 17th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 16,088 Posts
    • 25,600 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    OP never actually said what they 'do' in IT. Working as a coder is going to give you a different career direction to being on the helpdesk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,034Posts Today

5,681Users online

Martin's Twitter