Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeOxlong
    • By MikeOxlong 13th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MikeOxlong
    Advice regarding claim (Third Party F&T)
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    Advice regarding claim (Third Party F&T) 13th Oct 16 at 10:02 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding an incident I've recently been involved in.

Around two weeks ago I was travelling down a road when a car from the opposite side of the road came across my lane to make a turning, blocking my path (coming from my right to left) I hit the brakes and hit the side of their car. At the time of the incident the other party claimed I was speeding (apparently doing 60mph!) ....There was a steady build up of traffic around 20 metres from the incident so I was already applying my brakes, no air bag deployed etc. All basically proving I wasnt speeding.

The damage to their car is minimal however my vehicle is written off (my opinion and a local garage) I contacted my insurance (Direct Line) in regards to the claim and sent them an email outlining the incident + supplying images.

I have since contacted them regarding the claim asking if they had received any response from the third party's insurance. They said they had received nothing yet, not even a claim against myself.

The insurance I took out was only Third Party Fire and Theft so I was advised by Direct Line that any claim I wanted to make against them I would have to do myself.

I was just wondering what my best course of action is? My van is only worth around £800 however it had recently had a full MOT (£300 spend on suspension and other small areas) No advisories to brakes or tyres.

Ideally I want to get sum of money back from their insurance for an incident I feel I had no fault for.

Do I contact their insurance directly?
    Would it be best for me to go to a solicitors?

When speaking to relatives I was advised that I take them to a small claims court, the threat alone should push their insurance in to taking some action. If I requested a small, but reasonable fee for damages they would most likely pay as solicitors fee's would come to more than the sum requested.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 23,310 Posts
    • 9,189 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    If you do not contact their insurance your not going to get anything, you cannot claim for your vehicle on your policy.

Threat to take them to court, you will need to prove they were at fault.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • MikeOxlong
    • By MikeOxlong 13th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeOxlong
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    I have photos of the collision point, the damage to both vehicles and photos showing the traffic building up at the bottom of the road. I fail to see how it could be anything but their fault.

I shall be writing to their insurance tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,724Posts Today

8,460Users online

Martin's Twitter