Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newbie000
    • By Newbie000 13th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Newbie000
    Storage Heaters...help!
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    Storage Heaters...help! 13th Oct 16 at 8:35 PM
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have recently moved into a flat that is home to some rather old looking storage heaters. As a first time renter I have no idea how they operate!

I'm aware they are the most expensive type of heating so I would just like to get some guidance on how to use them and limit the damage of the bill so have a few questions...

I've read that it is best to be on an Econmy 7 Tariff and that "most" storage heaters only charge at night. How can I ensure that mine will only use the cheap night rate tariff? I've looked at the fuse boxes in the flat and there are two separate ones. Is this an indicator that the heaters will only charge at the night time rate?

Also I am home mostly in the evenings and some parts of the day at the weekend and would love to know how best to heat my home mostly in the evenings.

Thank you
Page 1
    • sacsquacco
    • By sacsquacco 13th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    sacsquacco
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    Your electric meter will have a method of switching the day and night rates over at a certain time to take advantage of the 8 hours cheap rate and the storage heaters will/should be connected to that cheap rate time so they only charge up at the night rate.
    There are three types of timer switch.Radio Teleswitch is controlled by a signal sent to it and is very accurate. Digital meters which have their own built in clocks which are usually fairly accurate but they may drift with time and be a few hours out. Old circular 24 hr analogue timer switches which sit alongside the meter can be wildly out and its probably only by luck that they are anywhere near the correct time. with these the 8 cheap hours could be anywhere in the 24 hours and they have an advantage that the cheap rate could fall in the early evening in a usable time slot to use other appliances at the cheap rate.
    Can you see which timer switch you have ?
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 13th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    I'm aware they are the most expensive type of heating
    - they are the cheapest form of electric heating
    it is best to be on an Economy 7 Tariff
    - it is indeed
    I am home mostly in the evenings and some parts of the day at the weekend
    - you should get on the cheapest E7 tariff available
    - pay DD and use an e-account
    - submit your own 6 weekly[ish] meter readings
    - aim for 50/50% day and night rate use
    - if you store enough cheap stuff, you use less expensive stuff
    - you will always need a secondary day rate heater, example now & Easter
    - radiation is better than convection so close damper and store enough

Photograph and paste your :
    - consumer units
    - water controller
    - meter

- and tell the group the name of your tariff and your region number
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 14th Oct 16, 12:43 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:43 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 12:43 AM
    Check this recent thread...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5540365

Read my second post as I go through storage heater and E7 with a brief overview of how to run the set-up.
    • zaax
    • By zaax 14th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    zaax
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    economy 10?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 14th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 26,064 Posts
    • 12,531 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    economy 10?
    Originally posted by zaax
    Even if you have an E10 meter, the prices I have seen quoted for Off-peak periods on E10 are horrendous. As you can now get 24/7 single rate electricity at 9p to 10pkWh most households would better off ditching E10(not E7) and Storage heaters.
    • Newbie000
    • By Newbie000 15th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newbie000
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    Thank you for the info. I'm not entirely sure how to see which timer switch I have?
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 15th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    #2 mentions x3 types of switch(ing). You again ask what type of switch you have. If you post pictures of your hot water cylinder & hot water controller - your electricity meters - and your consumer units the group will be able to give you an accurate guess.

Look, whichever type of what you call a 'timer switch' you have its completely out of your control anyway, you can do nothing to control it.

1+3
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,626Posts Today

7,515Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin