Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,539Posts
    • 942Thanks
    trinidadone
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code??? 13th Oct 16 at 8:33 PM
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 9
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 18th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 3,832 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    As a cyclist and driver I sort of agree with him on this - there are people who go out on bikes in all black clothing, no lights, no reflectors and you don't see them until 10m away
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I partly agree with him too but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to have a bit of fun.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    I suggest that you get your eyes or your car lights checked.

Perhaps both
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    I live in the countryside - the roads are 60mph, at night there's no light. There are cyclists who dress in dark colours and don't have any lights on their bike - or even if they do they're not powerful enough to make themselves visible. It can be pretty terrifying.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 18th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 10,468 Posts
    • 5,780 Thanks
    Strider590
    I live in the countryside - the roads are 60mph, at night there's no light. There are cyclists who dress in dark colours and don't have any lights on their bike - or even if they do they're not powerful enough to make themselves visible. It can be pretty terrifying.
    Originally posted by kmb500
    As terrifying as driving in fog and watching all the morons come driving past with no lights on? There are so many of them, that I actually dread driving in fog purely because of this.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 2,539 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Cyclists who are drivers, who have recently moved to cycling, they are actually the worst for running lights.

Try it yourself, get on a bike and ride toward a set of red lights and see how you feel about stopping. It's tricky because your head is saying "hey im not in a car, im a pedestrian and I don't need to stop, I can just take the footpath".

When I started cycling after a 10+ year break, that was exactly what was in my mind the first time I rode up to a set of traffic lights, it felt stupid sitting there with cars when I could just get off, walk along the footpath and carry on.

So when it comes to cyclist light jumping, the majority of them are also drivers.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    thank you for your question. So sorry to disappoint, but i would never ride a cycle on a London street, really sorry. In regards to your head telling a cyclist to keep cycling through a red light, I can not really relay the thought processes to myself, because i am conditioned as a motorist to stop at a red light anyway, so i honestly do not think my thought process would change, but hey, you never know
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • boliston
    • By boliston 18th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    boliston

Its probably not the most productive measure but it's simply a matter of letting someone know when they're doing something wrong. Just as I would flash/beep a dangerous driver, and I would hope that if I did something very dangerous, someone would let me know!
    you must be very busy flashing and beeping at other drivers who ever overtake you as you drive at 70mph on the motorway, or are motorist law breakers not worthy of being beeped?
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    you must be very busy flashing and beeping at other drivers who ever overtake you as you drive at 70mph on the motorway, or are motorist law breakers not worthy of being beeped?
    Originally posted by boliston
    Overtaking someone on a motorway is not dangerous... someone pulls out dangerously or whatever, yes I do beep them. I'm not the police, I don't care about most little things but if someone is genuinely dangerously driving I will beep at them, equally I will shout to a cyclist.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 18th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 6,385 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Well that's what I mean, I do not encounter many cyclists but when I do, a much larger proportion of them are dangerous compared to cars.
    I think this depends on how you are defining 'dangerous'

In terms of harm caused to others, drivers/motor vehicles are far more dangerous, but if you define it as riding/driving in a way which poss a risk to themselves or others' then I think that it is less clear cut.

On a personal level, I'd say I see more cyclists than drivers do things such as igniring red lights, one way systems or pedestrian crossings, and riding without lights, but that I see more drivers than cyclists do things such as speeding while it is unsafe to do so, overtaking dangerously, btailgating, and using phones while driving.
    • Cloudydaze
    • By Cloudydaze 18th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    Cloudydaze
    I think West Midlands Police sums it up nicely:

Cyclists don’t cause us, as an organisation, problems, that’s because they aren’t causing our communities problems, they aren’t killing nearly 100 people on our regions roads as mechanically propelled vehicles currently do. Yes we do get complaints of the “nuisance” variety, pavement cycling, some anti-social behaviour (usually yobs on bikes rather than “cyclists”), red light running etc. but you get the idea, most peoples interpretation of “1st world problems” or the “modern day blues”, nothing that’s a priority for a force like our own in a modern day society. Bad cycling is an “irritant” to the wider community rather than a danger, and maybe an improvement in infrastructure and policing may alieve many of the reasons that cause a very small minority of cyclists to be an “irritant”

https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/category/traffic-blog/
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Well I don't think there should be any pollution tax at all, all tax should either be flat, or increase based on monetary value.
    Lobby your MP

Maybe I am in a minority, but it's just what I see. And no I do not do "low mileage", I do ~15000/year.
    Doing 15,000 miles a year on country roads with only a handful of traffic lights within 10 miles, it's perhaps not surprising. I suggest watching either of these 2 dash cam clip channels on youtube, you will be amazed at how your little bubble is nothing like the real world:

Exposed: UK Dash Cams
    WelshDrive

Well that's what I mean, I do not encounter many cyclists but when I do, a much larger proportion of them are dangerous compared to cars.
    And again, I have proven with facts and evidence cars are vastly more dangerous and deadly, your anecdotes are lovely but meaningless

Oh really? What changes next year?
    And yeah it would be difficult to implement given that there are so many different cars. But the Valuation Office manages with houses, I'm sure it could be possible, if expensive. I mean very simply, you can set a level of expected depreciation, and just calculate it based on the list price new and how many years old the car is.
    It was announced in July last year that there will be new VED bands for all cars registered after 1/7/17 with new bands for even low polluting cars, only the true zero emissions will get £0 (and that would include bikes as ever)

Everything these days is to support the green agenda... or rather, to bankroll the big manufacturing corporations...
    The "green agenda" is a scientifically accepted "theory" (in the sense that gravity is also a theory) that man's CO2 emissions are leading to climate change at a speed never recorded in nature.

Tax goes to the government, not manufacturers.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    Car 54
    I think West Midlands Police sums it up nicely:

Cyclists don’t cause us, as an organisation, problems, that’s because they aren’t causing our communities problems, they aren’t killing nearly 100 people on our regions roads as mechanically propelled vehicles currently do. Yes we do get complaints of the “nuisance” variety, pavement cycling, some anti-social behaviour (usually yobs on bikes rather than “cyclists”), red light running etc. but you get the idea, most peoples interpretation of “1st world problems” or the “modern day blues”, nothing that’s a priority for a force like our own in a modern day society. Bad cycling is an “irritant” to the wider community rather than a danger, and maybe an improvement in infrastructure and policing may alieve many of the reasons that cause a very small minority of cyclists to be an “irritant”

https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/category/traffic-blog/
    Originally posted by Cloudydaze
    Yes, in the overall scheme of things they are just an irritant.

Along with people who can't spell or punctuate, or who use txtspk; fat adults who wear replica football shirts; Diane Abbott; Alex Salmond; Liam Fox, and others too numerous to list.

However, unlike bad cyclists, none of these are an actual danger to themselves and others.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 18th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 6,602 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I think this depends on how you are defining 'dangerous'

In terms of harm caused to others, drivers/motor vehicles are far more dangerous, but if you define it as riding/driving in a way which poss a risk to themselves or others' then I think that it is less clear cut.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    I think this gets distorted by some cycling advocates who insist on only counting actual injuries and there are no figures for "near misses". In 20 years of walking in London, I have been hit by a cyclist once [In a pedestrian area marked by a clear No Cycles sign]; seen another pedestrian hit by a cyclist [riding the wrong way down a one way street] once but I have to dodge or stop while crossing a zebra or pelican two or three times a week. The most recent of these being at 0815 this morning in Bloomsbury:- I arrive at a zebra crossing a cycle lane, 2 cyclists are too close to stop (fine), the next 2 stop so I start to cross and no, not a MAMIL, but a woman on a Boris Bike overtakes the stopped cyclists, makes eye contact with me (because I was actually looking where I was going as opposed to texting) and then accelerates across in front of me. Had I not looked and broken my stride, she would have hit me.

On a personal level, I'd say I see more cyclists than drivers do things such as igniring red lights, one way systems or pedestrian crossings, and riding without lights, but that I see more drivers than cyclists do things such as speeding while it is unsafe to do so, overtaking dangerously, btailgating, and using phones while driving.
    I'd agree. No, I'm not counting the cyclists who start off a little early to get up to speed (that's understandable) but the ones who overtake already stopped traffic and cruise through between pedestrians. I have never seen a motor vehicle do this without using blue lights and two-tone sirens. I'm not objecting to those cyclist who get off and bypass the junction on foot but the ones who take to the pavement at speed - I have only seen a motor vehicle do this 2 or 3 times a decade.

And to reiterate - this is a minority of cyclists. In some cases, it may be the same arrogant gits that I see multiple times a week. Mostly I can forget them until I read an internet thread where someone responds to criticism of this type of cyclists by simplistically announcing it doesn't matter because motorists are worse and pollute the universe at the same time.
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 18th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 5,290 Posts
    • 4,066 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    On a personal level, I'd say I see more cyclists than drivers do things such as igniring red lights, one way systems or pedestrian crossings
    Are you including the 2 or 3 drivers who dash through the lights who could stop but choose not to because the lights have only just gone red. Recently as I was stopping for a red light the car following me changed lane and overtook me to drive through the lights. Theres a pedestrian crossing at the end of my road which I always stop at when cycling if necessary. When I cross it as a pedestrian many motorists stare straight ahead and pretend they cannot see me. Sometimes I wave at them. They always look to see who's waving so they can obviously see me.

I'm not supporting cyclists breaking the rules but it could be argued that cyclists and others would consider it more acceptable to break rules such as passing red lights or crossings when they should stop as it is far less dangerous to others compared to motorists committing the same offence.

I think there's a proportion of motorists, generally young or inexperienced, who either ignorantly or actively choose to believe there is a hierarchy among road users and these motorists are keen to find fault with cyclist to support their own position which is clearly daft as many adult cyclists are capable and experienced motorists.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 18-10-2016 at 3:38 PM.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 18th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 16,545 Posts
    • 178,891 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Have you reported the incident(s) to the bus company?

They should know which driver was driving which bus at a certain time and place.

If they get more than one or two reports about an individual driver they may well take action, even if there is no hard evidence.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    Yes I reported the bus driver to his company. I had the time and I memorised the number plate. I have not had another incident like that.

My latest campaign is the amount of times I have seen bus drivers jump a certain set of lights, I need to catch that on video.

I just wish I had had a camera the time when a lorry was so close to me that I had to jump off my bike. One minute I was on the road then before I knew it I was on my feet on the path, if I had not got off my bike I would have been under its wheels, I don't think he saw me even though I always wear high visibility.

I have given up going round a local junction on the road, it is a left turn but there is a road off it to a supermarket which is also left, I go round there and people assume I am going to the supermarket even though I am not indicating then cut across me and complain because I am going straight up, or they pull out in front of me because they think I am going into the supermarket, all I want to do is use the main road but I cannot risk it, I walk around on thread path now, it is not worth risking my life over.

The funniest incident I had was near a pedestrianised area, there was this pedestrian walking on the road and he had a go at me for cycling on a pedestrianised area. He would not accept he was on a road, even though there was central white lines and double yellows. Even funnier, when the pedestrianised area was created it was made clear that cyclists could use it, mainly because the route round it would be horrendous. But no, there was no way he could actually be wrong
    Last edited by Enterprise 1701C; 18-10-2016 at 3:42 PM.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 18th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 3,832 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Yes, in the overall scheme of things they are just an irritant.

Along with people who can't spell or punctuate, or who use txtspk; fat adults who wear replica football shirts; Diane Abbott; Alex Salmond; Liam Fox, and others too numerous to list.

However, unlike bad cyclists, none of these are an actual danger to themselves and others.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Fat adults are a danger to themselves.

So is Diane Abbot. If I ever saw her in the street my normally peaceful persona would take a back seat while I slapped the hypocritical ***** a few times.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 19,746 Posts
    • 12,112 Thanks
    dacouch
    Please explain what a pinch point is and how increasing police enforcement at them would help.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I watched two PCSO's on bikes see a cycle go through a red traffic light. They set off in hot pursuit, the only problem was as the light was red, the green light for pedestrians was alight and they promptly rode into two pedestrians.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 18th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    boliston
    Overtaking someone on a motorway is not dangerous... someone pulls out dangerously or whatever, yes I do beep them. I'm not the police, I don't care about most little things but if someone is genuinely dangerously driving I will beep at them, equally I will shout to a cyclist.
    How about if you were waiting at a pedestrian crossing in your car and a cyclist went through on red well after any pedestrians had safely finished crossing? Would you beep or shout at them?
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    Richard53
    What do you mean "tax that doesn't exist"? I pay £300 road tax a year I am fairly sure that exists. I know that there are cars exempt from it, which I think is wrong.
    Road Tax was abolished in 1937, by Winston Churchill. Road building is funded out of general taxation, which cyclists pay along with everyone else. We now have VED (vehicle excise duty), which is a tax on how much pollution your vehicle makes. Some cars pay zero VED for this reason. Now do you see why cyclists don't pay road tax?
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    Richard53
    There are cyclists who dress in dark colours and don't have any lights on their bike - or even if they do they're not powerful enough to make themselves visible.
    There was a thread on here not so long ago on the theme of 'why do so many cyclists have these stupid bright lights?'

We can't win.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 18th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    Car 54
    How about if you were waiting at a pedestrian crossing in your car and a cyclist went through on red well after any pedestrians had safely finished crossing? Would you beep or shout at them?
    Originally posted by boliston
    If the lights were on red then the cyclist would be committing an offence, pedestrians or not, and his view of the crossing would presumably be restricted by my car. The law allows the use of a horn while stationary "at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road".
    • boliston
    • By boliston 19th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    boliston
    If the lights were on red then the cyclist would be committing an offence, pedestrians or not, and his view of the crossing would presumably be restricted by my car. The law allows the use of a horn while stationary "at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road".
    Originally posted by Car 54
    How would the cyclist be putting you in danger? And why not beep at cars committing a speeding offence?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

469Posts Today

3,510Users online

Martin's Twitter