Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,530Posts
    • 942Thanks
    trinidadone
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code??? 13th Oct 16 at 8:33 PM
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 7
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 8,909 Thanks
    jimjames
    It seems that some drivers who are stuck in traffic have the attitude that if they're not moving then no-one else is going to either. Seems to apply regardless of whether the other party is a cyclist, motorbike or even other road users who could make progress if a junction wasn't blocked for example

They are long gone around here as red lights appear to be meaningless to them and just totally ignored. They slow, have a quick look around and ride through the red light. Why a pointless delay of five seconds for other road users?
    Originally posted by LABMAN
    I assume "they" is a similar "they" to "they never indicate and always drive over the speed limit" when referring to Audi & BMW drivers.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I sometimes swing the opposite direction to where im turning, my car is 5m long, failure to do so on some particular junctions would result in clipping the kerb (on a LH turn) OR swinging into the path of an oncoming car after taking the corner. How often have you been approaching a junction when someone has cut across the middle of the road in front of you whilst making a RH turn into that road?

Taking a wide line into a corner or junction also gives the driver the best view of the road ahead and is recommended practice by IAM and ROSPA.

So here is a drivers side example, of how road users fail to see things from anothers point of view, stuck in their little bubble with no consideration for what it's like driving a large car, a truck, a van, motorbike or bicycle.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Hello strider, thank you for your contribution. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to hear from Motorist, to learn clearly a motorist view point. Relating to the original question, have you had any good or challenging experiences with cyclists while using the roads?
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 18th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 5,765 Thanks
    Strider590
    It seems that some drivers who are stuck in traffic have the attitude that if they're not moving then no-one else is going to either. Seems to apply regardless of whether the other party is a cyclist, motorbike or even other road users who could make progress if a junction wasn't blocked for example

I assume "they" is a similar "they" to "they never indicate and always drive over the speed limit" when referring to Audi & BMW drivers.
    Originally posted by jimjames

This is why there is so much cyclist hate, they perform a risky overtake on a cyclist, fail to judge the road ahead, get stuck in a queue 50 yards later, cyclists overtakes them and they're made to look stupid, this sends them into rage and they blame the cyclist rather than their own incompetence.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 18th Oct 16, 8:46 AM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 4,050 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Hello facade, you are absolutely correct, drivers veer left or right depending on the turn made, we are taught like that during our driving lessons, and it is also in the highway code.
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    I was never taught to swing wide before a junction. Its likely you were told to do that because you were clipping the kerb when turning. Is it in The Highway Code?
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 31,502 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    custardy
    I sometimes swing the opposite direction to where im turning, my car is 5m long, failure to do so on some particular junctions would result in clipping the kerb (on a LH turn) OR swinging into the path of an oncoming car after taking the corner. How often have you been approaching a junction when someone has cut across the middle of the road in front of you whilst making a RH turn into that road?

Taking a wide line into a corner or junction also gives the driver the best view of the road ahead and is recommended practice by IAM and ROSPA.

For example, this lefthander is impossible without swinging right first, to the point where you have to wait for traffic from the opposite direction before turning, with some stupid moo in a Micra behind you cursing and giving obscene gestures.

So here is a drivers side example, of how road users fail to see things from anothers point of view, stuck in their little bubble with no consideration for what it's like driving a large car, a truck, a van, motorbike or bicycle.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Yup,shouldnt be standard practice. In my Audi estate,yup. Whereas the picasso party bus doesnt really need it.
    Full use of the mirrors means the manovere where required should be perfectly safe.
    Im disturbed by the idea the NS mirror is seen (no pun) as a reversing only tool.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Hate cyclists in the city. They are OK (for the most part) in the countryside where I live, aside from some visibility issues. But when I go into town its insane. They race in and out of traffic, complete danger to everyone on the road. They don't indicate, they don't go in the cycle lane, they go the wrong way down one-way streets...
    Cyclists should have to pay road tax imo. And dangerous cycling should be enforced by the police just as much as dangerous driving should be.

As for what to do about them... I drive a convertible, if my roof is down I will shout at them while I drive past and tell them to stop being dangerous.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    • 31,502 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    custardy
    Hate cyclists in the city. They are OK (for the most part) in the countryside where I live, aside from some visibility issues. But when I go into town its insane. They race in and out of traffic, complete danger to everyone on the road. They don't indicate, they don't go in the cycle lane, they go the wrong way down one-way streets...
    Cyclists should have to pay road tax imo. And dangerous cycling should be enforced by the police just as much as dangerous driving should be.

As for what to do about them... I drive a convertible, if my roof is down I will shout at them while I drive past and tell them to stop being dangerous.
    Originally posted by kmb500
    Ah,a good meaty answer.
    So your list of issues with (all?) cyclists.
    What does this fabled road tax do to change that?

I see you use a black box insurer. So how long have you been driving?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    They are long gone around here as red lights appear to be meaningless to them and just totally ignored. They slow, have a quick look around and ride through the red light. Why a pointless delay of five seconds for other road users?
    Originally posted by LABMAN
    Cars have long since given up on the "stop at amber unless it would cause an accident" - speeding up and going through as it goes red or just after is common. Just this morning I was cycling to work, 2 white vans were waiting at a pedestrian crossing red light, for whatever reason when the pedestrians had crossed they both went through the red light
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Nasqueron

Why should cyclists pay a tax that doesn't exist?

You'll find the majority of cyclists also have cars and thus pay VED (which is NOT a fund to use the road or build / repair roads). Many cars pay £0 VED and yet cause more wear and tear to the roads than bikes!

All the bad points you raise about bad cyclists are valid but doesn't mean all of them do. Just like not all BMW drivers don't know where the indicator is nor do all white van men drive while on the phone and tailgate etc
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Yup,shouldnt be standard practice. In my Audi estate,yup. Whereas the picasso party bus doesnt really need it.
    Full use of the mirrors means the manovere where required should be perfectly safe.
    Im disturbed by the idea the NS mirror is seen (no pun) as a reversing only tool.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Hello Custardy, have you had any good or challenging experiences with cyclist while driving your Audi estate??
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 31,502 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    custardy
    Hello Custardy, have you had any good or challenging experiences with cyclist while driving your Audi estate??
    Why would you feel the car I'm driving would matter? Why would it differ from when I drive the Picasso?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Why would you feel the car I'm driving would matter? Why would it differ from when I drive the Picasso?
    It doesn't, he just wants more "ammo" for his cyclist bashing
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone

Hello KMB, you mention visability issues, is this because of bad weather, the cyclist not wearing bright/reflective wear, speed or something else?? Are all the cyclists in town cycle in that manner, or do you see some good cyclists as well? The old chest nut of going down the wrong way on a one way street - I can relate to that one!!

In regards to enforcement, more police at pinch points??? Not sure if I agree about shouting at cyclists, however I do completely understand your frustration also, as there does not appear to be any accountability for cyclists, especially as they are growing in numbers.

When you challenge cyclists on the street, what reaction do you receive?
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Ah,a good meaty answer.
    So your list of issues with (all?) cyclists.
    What does this fabled road tax do to change that?

I see you use a black box insurer. So how long have you been driving?
    Oh the other thing is, they don't bother using lights so you can't see them, plus they fly through red lights.

If they had to pay tax they would be more responsible. Maybe even insurance would be a smarter idea - and if we made them actually liable for accidents rather than it always being the car's fault. Cyclists can and do cause accidents.

I have been driving for 3 years. I know not the longest time but I drive perfectly safely and I know the highway code. Cyclists do not seem to be aware of the rules of the road. They are clueless, especially the ones who exclusively cycle and do not drive.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 31,502 Posts
    • 26,167 Thanks
    custardy
    Oh the other thing is, they don't bother using lights so you can't see them, plus they fly through red lights.

If they had to pay tax they would be more responsible. Maybe even insurance would be a smarter idea - and if we made them actually liable for accidents rather than it always being the car's fault. Cyclists can and do cause accidents.

I have been driving for 3 years. I know not the longest time but I drive perfectly safely and I know the highway code. Cyclists do not seem to be aware of the rules of the road. They are clueless, especially the ones who exclusively cycle and do not drive.

how does this road tax equate to responsibility?
    So a new driver. Me with 25 years driving experience. More years cycling.
    Yet apparently I'm clueless....
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 9:44 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Why should cyclists pay a tax that doesn't exist?

You'll find the majority of cyclists also have cars and thus pay VED (which is NOT a fund to use the road or build / repair roads). Many cars pay £0 VED and yet cause more wear and tear to the roads than bikes!

All the bad points you raise about bad cyclists are valid but doesn't mean all of them do. Just like not all BMW drivers don't know where the indicator is nor do all white van men drive while on the phone and tailgate etc
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    What do you mean "tax that doesn't exist"? I pay £300 road tax a year I am fairly sure that exists. I know that there are cars exempt from it, which I think is wrong. Imo all road users should contribute to it. I think it's ridiculous that "green" cars pay little or no tax, but that's a whole other issue that I won't go into.

Obviously not all cyclists are like that... I'm not suggesting they are. But it's a huge proportion of them as far as I can see. Far more dangerous cyclists than dangerous drivers. I seldom see drivers driving through red lights or going the wrong way down one way streets, or having their headlights switched off.

I just think cyclists should take more responsibility for their actions, and be more aware of their behaviour on the road. I don't see many ways of doing that other than policing or taxing.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Oct 16, 9:53 AM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 8,909 Thanks
    jimjames
    Probably something like this
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/driver-jeremy-vine-cycling-rant-video-arrested-police-282468

But a motorist being arrested for attacking a cyclist doesn't quite fit your agenda does it now?
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone

Hello again KMB, wow, your very brave to exercise that view point on this thread, especially as most contributors on here are cyclists and will react to your views.

your right, there are cyclist who dont fit lights to their bikes, i never really understand why, but they dont, however, I do see a lot of responsbile cyclist on the road, who have the full cycle gear, clothing, crash helmet, flashing lights etc... which is good.

Again, i completely understand as a motorist, sitting at a red traffic light, to find a cyclist fly pass on the left or right, and fly through red lights. But then I have seen responsible cyclists also.

Yes, maybe a contribution from cyclists might work, however I think that would never happon, as the government / local authorities are constantly promoting cycling due to the constant influx of car ownership, policies on saving thew planet, pollution, human health etc....

Insurance for a cycle, i dont know how that would work, but not something i have ever thought about so interesting view point.

You mention cyclist dont appear to be aware of the rules of the road, i think there are examples i see on the road which do exercise these rules, its just the idiots who seemly see the rods as a play area.

I cant agree that all cyclists who only cycle are clueless, I think that is going too far!!

thank you for your contribution though, and please, dont react to the expected abuse you will receive from cyclist on this thread, happy driving
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 8,909 Thanks
    jimjames
    Obviously not all cyclists are like that... I'm not suggesting they are. But it's a huge proportion of them as far as I can see. Far more dangerous cyclists than dangerous drivers. I seldom see drivers driving through red lights or going the wrong way down one way streets, or having their headlights switched off.
    Totally disagree. The number of examples of bad driving massively outweigh the examples of bad cycling that I see. Routinely on my journey to work I will see a fair number of drivers on their phone, not indicating, cutting dangerously into traffic, jumping lights. The difference is that I don't brand all drivers as being unsafe.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kmb500
    Hello KMB, you mention visability issues, is this because of bad weather, the cyclist not wearing bright/reflective wear, speed or something else?? Are all the cyclists in town cycle in that manner, or do you see some good cyclists as well? The old chest nut of going down the wrong way on a one way street - I can relate to that one!!

In regards to enforcement, more police at pinch points??? Not sure if I agree about shouting at cyclists, however I do completely understand your frustration also, as there does not appear to be any accountability for cyclists, especially as they are growing in numbers.

Visibility - sometimes down to no reflections, sometimes they don't have lights or not very powerful lights. Cyclists should be equipped with very powerful lights just as cars are. I think it's awful how many bikes there are that I do not see until I am 10m behind them.

Yeah some cyclists are OK, probably most of them, but there are so many more dangerous cyclists than drivers that I see.

When I say shouting - I don't mean rude. I have to shout over the engine noise. Maybe it is rude, but someone needs to tell them. They don't go on safety courses like any driver must, they don't really have any accountability at all. The reactions I get are usually angry - they flip me off, tell me to F myself, and actually last week after I told a guy he shouldn't go the wrong way down the street he turned around and chased me through town!

Its probably not the most productive measure but it's simply a matter of letting someone know when they're doing something wrong. Just as I would flash/beep a dangerous driver, and I would hope that if I did something very dangerous, someone would let me know!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter