Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,534Posts
    • 942Thanks
    trinidadone
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code??? 13th Oct 16 at 8:33 PM
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 5
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    Robisere
    OINK!

"Two Wheels good, Four Wheels Bad!"
    OINK OINK!

Apologies to George Orwell....
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 5,278 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    OINK!

"Two Wheels good, Four Wheels Bad!"
    OINK OINK!

Apologies to George Orwell....
    Originally posted by Robisere
    In this case "Two wheels minor irritation, Four wheels clueless"

Was George Orwell a motorist? If not his views are irrelevant.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Car 54

Was George Orwell a motorist? If not his views are irrelevant.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Don't know. But he was born in India.
    • Giddypip
    • By Giddypip 16th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Giddypip
    Hello Giddypip, and thank you for your contribution. Did the cyclist provide any rationale regarding the highway code?
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. The cyclist told me that road signs did not apply to them and they could cycle where they wanted, he did not provide anything to back his argument up.
    • Giddypip
    • By Giddypip 16th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Giddypip
    Hopefully, as an intelligent person, you understand that that cyclist doesn't speak for or represent other cyclists.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    As an intelligent person I understand this perfectly. I have seen numerous examples of bad cycling and I have seen numerous examples of bad driving.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 16th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Not this rubbish again, go on quote that study from 2012 by those.Dresden academics. You know the one that includes everything from dealing with climate change to the alleged health costs of pollution, but excludes 95% of motoring taxes because they aren't ring fenced by the government.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    So demand for motor transport has been rising for a century because it's too expensive?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 31,507 Posts
    • 26,181 Thanks
    custardy
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. The cyclist told me that road signs did not apply to them and they could cycle where they wanted, he did not provide anything to back his argument up.
    Originally posted by Giddypip
    Indeed. Seems to be a trait between some humans.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 16th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Originally posted by Giddypip
    ok, thank you for letting me know, sorry if i was not clear in my message to u.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 17th Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Interesting that cyclists are abused for the transgressions of a minority but the majority of motorists break the law on a daily basis and many bemoan their fate for risking but rarely being prosecuted for this.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 17th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 16,518 Posts
    • 178,599 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    I am a cyclist.

I have had things thrown at me, tins of drink, lighted cigarettes etc, out of moving cars.

We have cycle lanes where I live but they are next to useless as cars constantly park on them.

I had one time when I was using a cycle lane on a path and a young lad decided to abuse me to show off to his girlfriend. He stepped out in front of me to stop me, and harangued me for using the footpath. I pointed out it was also a cycle path but he spat at me and said it shouldn't be.

I had someone try to grab my handlebars whilst I was using a toucan crossing, shouting no bikes.

I have had a Porsche driver in a queue pull over to block the cycle lane to prevent me overtaking me. I got off my bike, walked past him on the path, got back on and carried on.

I have frequently been accused of jumping lights by pedestrians and motorists alike, the lights they refer to are ones where they have a cycle light that is always green.

I have been forced off the road by a bus driver who thought I was in his lane. It is a bus lane but it was outside the specific hours and it is also a cycle lane anyway.

I could carry on, but all the abuses I have suffered as a cyclist would be a VERY long post.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • facade
    • By facade 17th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    Looks like about time you got a bike camera.
    Then you can report the cars throwing stuff for littering, with video evidence.

You'll never get any dangerous driving or assault charges to stick (didn't know there was a cyclist there), but littering will.

I wish I was 18 again, I'd just jump my 'bike onto cars parked in the cycle lane and ride over them.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 17th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 16,518 Posts
    • 178,599 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Looks like about time you got a bike camera.
    Then you can report the cars throwing stuff for littering, with video evidence.

You'll never get any dangerous driving or assault charges to stick (didn't know there was a cyclist there), but littering will.

I wish I was 18 again, I'd just jump my 'bike onto cars parked in the cycle lane and ride over them.
    Originally posted by facade
    Funnily enough I have one now

My main ambitition is to catch out that bus driver. His attitude toward cyclists is awful.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 17th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 8,913 Thanks
    jimjames
    I have had a Porsche driver in a queue pull over to block the cycle lane to prevent me overtaking me. I got off my bike, walked past him on the path, got back on and carried on.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    It's funny how many seem to do this. Not sure if it's because I'm a cyclist as well but I'm very aware of other road users. I actually do the opposite and if I see a bike or motorcyclist in my mirror I'll move over to give extra space as they pass. Most signal their appreciation. Other drivers behave as per your example but as far as I'm concerned we're all equally entitled to use the road and have the least impeded journey
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • facade
    • By facade 17th Oct 16, 1:33 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    Most likely, after following the cycle for 2 miles at 12mph, they have finally got a safe overtake, leaving enough space, now the lights have gone red, and the cyclist is about to get up the inside of them, wobble over the stop line and force them into either another 2 miles of 12mph, or a dangerous overtake if their patience has run out.

I pull right over to the left if I'm the second or third car at the lights (but I don't block cycle lanes), 40 feet further back isn't going to affect Mr 12mph much, but being in front of him can take 5 or 10 minutes off my journey, and get me out of 2nd gear.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 17th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Most likely, after following the cycle for 2 miles at 12mph, they have finally got a safe overtake, leaving enough space, now the lights have gone red, and the cyclist is about to get up the inside of them, wobble over the stop line and force them into either another 2 miles of 12mph, or a dangerous overtake if their patience has run out.

I pull right over to the left if I'm the second or third car at the lights (but I don't block cycle lanes), 40 feet further back isn't going to affect Mr 12mph much, but being in front of him can take 5 or 10 minutes off my journey, and get me out of 2nd gear.
    Nice to read a motorist comment on the thread. good to learn your a safe driver, most actually are, especially as motorists are displaying a clear registration number.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 17th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    boliston

if cars pull far left to block cyclists i just pass on the offside instead
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Nice to read a motorist comment on the thread. good to learn your a safe driver, most actually are, especially as motorists are displaying a clear registration number.
    Moving to the left to block a legally filtering cyclist is not good or safe driving. As stated by various others, we're on bike for goodness sake, I can just go around you to the right or hop on the pavement and off again, you don't achieve anything by doing it.

A slow cyclist is no different from some old guy in a Rover 25 doing 30 in a 60mph limit during rush hour except it's easier to pass the bike
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 5,278 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Nice to hear what you want to hear?. I'm a motorist. You still haven't explained why you only want to hear from motorists.

On Saturday I overtook a cyclist. Dual carriageway, two lanes each way. I indicated and moved to lane 2 which was empty. The following three cars didn't even cross the white lane separating lines to pass the cyclist despite the empty lane next to them and the near zero effort to use it. Many drivers are oblivious to how unsafe they are. Many are also poor judges of other motorists behavior.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 17-10-2016 at 2:52 PM.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • facade
    • By facade 17th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    if cars pull far left to block cyclists i just pass on the offside instead
    Originally posted by boliston

Amazingly, this is the side you are supposed to filter past on, then when I open the passenger door to knock you off for going up the inside so my kid can jump out at the lights you are not in danger.

Mr 8-12mph (12mph is a bit generous) won't ever do that though

And yes I do cycle on the road, and as Enterprise reports, in my experience it is the buses that perform the most dangerous overtakes, despite the 360 cameras they are supposed to carry.

• Johno100
    • By Johno100 17th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Johno100
    Moving to the left to block a legally filtering cyclist is not good or safe driving. As stated by various others, we're on bike for goodness sake, I can just go around you to the right or hop on the pavement and off again, you don't achieve anything by doing it.
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    But a cyclist taking 'primary' to prevent what he perceives to be an unsafe overtake is good and safe cycling.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter