Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,529Posts
    • 942Thanks
    trinidadone
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code??? 13th Oct 16 at 8:33 PM
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 4
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 5,760 Thanks
    Strider590
    That might be partly true if they weren't taking away large swathes of road space previously available to all road users and converting it into segregated cycle lanes for the Lycra elite.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    See this is the attitude that causes problems.........

They're not "elite" they don't think they are anything special, they don't think they have more rights than you, they're just trying to get to work without being killed.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 31,500 Posts
    • 26,159 Thanks
    custardy
    Thank you for your contribution. I am in London, and I know we have to have cyclists on the road (although it is no fun being stuck behind them) but i do despair one of the two one way streets I use, I have even started avoiding the road for fear of of someone on two wheels hurtling towards me the wrong way.

I am sure the first mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was going to introduce a registration scheme for cyclists, but if i remember right, this was too costly.
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    Blooming cyclists causing traffic jams again........
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    Johno100
    They're not "elite" they don't think they are anything special, they don't think they have more rights than you, they're just trying to get to work without being killed.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    London commuting cyclists not elite? Plenty of academic research out there highlighting the typical demographic of the London commuting cyclist.

“cycling is disproportionately an activity of affluent, white men" - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2011)

“typically white, under 40, male, with medium to high household income.” - TfL

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2015/oct/12/why-are-london-cyclists-so-white-male-and-middle-class
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 5,760 Thanks
    Strider590
    London commuting cyclists not elite? Plenty of academic research out there highlighting the typical demographic of the London commuting cyclist.

“cycling is disproportionately an activity of affluent, white men" - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2011)

“typically white, under 40, male, with medium to high household income.” - TfL

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2015/oct/12/why-are-london-cyclists-so-white-male-and-middle-class
    Originally posted by Johno100

And yet the abuse is usually along the lines of "you don't pay road tax" and "get a proper job so you can afford to buy a car".

In the UK, we measure a persons success and affluence by what they own and in particular what car they drive. You could a multi-millionare, but if your on a bike, your a peasant.

It's not the way everyone thinks, but enough people think that way to make it an issue.
    Last edited by Strider590; 14-10-2016 at 7:26 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 14th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I see we have diverted somewhat...... No cyclists coming the wrong way on my way home this evening, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Only issue I saw was a cyclists from that Currier company, the company with cyclists riding with a large uncomfortable looking box on their back, with the description "kangaroo" over it. The rider was riding the correct way, and even in the "primary position" but I did not notice him until i was very close, as he had no front or rear lights, or reflectors. He wore dark clothing as well, all in black i think.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 14th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    fred246
    I think trinidadone should be arrested for hate crime. I don't think we are too far off that happening.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 14th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 19,730 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    dacouch
    No cyclists coming the wrong way on my way home this evening
    I see an equal amount of cars driving the wrong way down a one way
    road on my cycle ride or drive in Central & SE London as I do cycles.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 15th Oct 16, 7:45 AM
    • 8,849 Posts
    • 11,855 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    If you were very close and think the box says "kangaroo" when the name is "Deliveroo" which is emblazed on the bag in large letters....should you be driving in the dark?

You know the company the cyclist is working for so if they genuinely had no lights on make a complaint to the company.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Oct 16, 7:52 AM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I see we have diverted somewhat...... No cyclists coming the wrong way on my way home this evening, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Only issue I saw was a cyclists from that Currier company, the company with cyclists riding with a large uncomfortable looking box on their back, with the description "kangaroo" over it. The rider was riding the correct way, and even in the "primary position" but I did not notice him until i was very close, as he had no front or rear lights, or reflectors. He wore dark clothing as well, all in black i think.
    I see you've failed to add anything useful. Why do you only want motorists views? Have you started this thread so that you can comment on your daily journey home? How exciting.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 15-10-2016 at 2:45 PM.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Oct 16, 8:03 AM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    did not notice him until i was very close, as he had no front or rear lights, or reflectors. He wore dark clothing as well, all in black i think.
    Is this what you want to see?

Maybe you should go to Specsavers. preferably on the bus.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 15-10-2016 at 8:17 AM.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 15th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 10,836 Posts
    • 8,902 Thanks
    jimjames
    And yet the abuse is usually along the lines of "you don't pay road tax" and "get a proper job so you can afford to buy a car".
    Originally posted by Strider590
    I always find that one amusing. Does that mean they think anyone who has a zero road tax car has no right to be on the road? I might agree if it got rid of Toyota Prius drivers

I think trinidadone should be arrested for hate crime. I don't think we are too far off that happening.
    Originally posted by fred246
    I do find it very bizarre and worrying the amount of vitriol that is directed at cyclists by some motorists. I think it sums up their overall attitude to driving that they don't think anyone else should be using the roads other than them and are probably the prime road rage candidates.
    Last edited by jimjames; 15-10-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 15th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 4,077 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Anyone with an iota of common sense can see that it's not the cyclists who are causing congestion:

The reason that demand for motor transport keeps growing is that motoring is too cheap, and because the costs are subsidised by the taxpayer.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 15th Oct 16, 2:18 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    Johno100
    The reason that demand for motor transport keeps growing is that motoring is too cheap, and because the costs are subsidised by the taxpayer.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Not this rubbish again, go on quote that study from 2012 by those.Dresden academics. You know the one that includes everything from dealing with climate change to the alleged health costs of pollution, but excludes 95% of motoring taxes because they aren't ring fenced by the government.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 15th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 19,730 Posts
    • 12,095 Thanks
    dacouch
    You know the company the cyclist is working for so if they genuinely had no lights on make a complaint to the company.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    I emailed their CEO recently about one of the moped riders to his personal email. will@deliveroo.co.uk

I received a personal response back.

People assume that due to the way the bikes & mopeds are driven that Deliveroo don't care. They do actually care about their image and appreciate genuine complaints
    • Giddypip
    • By Giddypip 15th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Giddypip
    According to a cyclist I had a 'discussion' with a few years ago, the rules of the highway code do not apply to them!
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 15th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    trinidadone
    According to a cyclist I had a 'discussion' with a few years ago, the rules of the highway code do not apply to them!
    Originally posted by Giddypip
    Hello Giddypip, and thank you for your contribution. Did the cyclist provide any rationale regarding the highway code?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 31,500 Posts
    • 26,159 Thanks
    custardy
    Indeed. Shocking attitude

https://twitter.com/davidfkeySNP/status/786871690928201728
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Hopefully, as an intelligent person, you understand that that cyclist doesn't speak for or represent other cyclists.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Hello Giddypip, and thank you for your contribution. Did the cyclist provide any rationale regarding the highway code?
    Why do you want to know what their rationale was? Apparently you're only interested in motorists views.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 15th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.!
    I don't expect I'd learn anything new if I read the rest of the thread other than some emotional language about lycra, and traffic and road tax, so I won't.

But if it 'rages you' may I suggest maybe a visit to the doctor, and perhaps an elementary course in general roadcraft and another in statistics? That way you'll help your health, other road users and your general understanding of the world we live in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,195Posts Today

5,557Users online

Martin's Twitter