Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,529Posts
    • 942Thanks
    trinidadone
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code??? 13th Oct 16 at 8:33 PM
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

I am keen to hear from motorists only!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 2
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Oct 16, 11:47 PM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Strider590
    ^^ Lights are problematic, they require planning and forethought, making sure one has enough batteries to last the week, or using rechargeable and having a spare set on charge every day, or using USB rechargable lights and hoping your boss isn't the sort of power tripping moron that won't let you use a power socket at work to recharge them. All this and then some little toe rag steals them off your bike.

There's a lot more to it than you think, bikes don't have the luxury of a constantly replenishing power supply. It seems too easy for drivers to judge what they don't understand.

Not to mention the crazy drivers who think that a cyclist with bright lights "thinks they're better than everyone else" and make it their mission to teach them a lesson.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 14th Oct 16, 12:15 AM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    led lights last ages or get 2 pairs and charge one at home. swap as needed. Cyclists might not have constant power but with the fuel savings surely they can afford 98p a set? google amazon 1 Pair LED Bicycle Light VERY BRIGHT BIKE LED LIGHT mount at fork handlebar seat post Red and White FROG LIGHT

stick felcro to both sides of the light and handlebar/anywhere visible. 2 secs to take off and on.

Or a dynamo set and a florescent jacket. No need to worry about charging then £14, again cheaper than a bodybag.

none are rocket science are they? easy to find excuses.....
    Last edited by consumers_revenge; 14-10-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Oct 16, 12:34 AM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Strider590
    led lights last ages or get 2 pairs and charge one at home. swap as needed. Cyclists might not have constant power but with the fuel savings surely they can afford 98p a set? google amazon 1 Pair LED Bicycle Light VERY BRIGHT BIKE LED LIGHT mount at fork handlebar seat post Red and White FROG LIGHT

stick felcro to both sides of the light and handlebar/anywhere visible. 2 secs to take off and on.

neither are rocket science are they? easy to find excuses.....

not
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    That won't hold........... Those lights will be in road, smashed to bits in seconds and drivers won't avoid hitting them, they'll almost certainly make a beeline for them.

As for batteries, one set might last all week, but what if it doesn't? What if you leave them on one day? With the cost of batteries most people won't go out and buy several packs OR carry backups, so if those batteries run out on Wednesday morning, what are you going to do?

These aren't excuses, these are real life situations, it's not my problem that some drivers are too blinded by ignorance to see it, just as so many drivers don't understand why cyclists might want to ride away from the "door zone" or avoid drain covers.
    People shouldn't be judging what they don't understand.

• consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 14th Oct 16, 12:39 AM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    uh I drive on 2 wheels dude?

yes youre right the felcro clock I have stuck on my motorbike has fallen off approx. zero days in 3 years...

and off course its very very easy to forget to change lights and plug them into their usb charger whilst their on the PC. must be someone elses fault...

if people want to drive in the dark, unlit its up to them. When their hit off they cant complain. always someone elses fault though...

enough said....you cant train stoopid
    Last edited by consumers_revenge; 14-10-2016 at 12:45 AM.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Oct 16, 2:07 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Hello Motorists,

I have seen a news report recently of the metropolitan police in London, using bicycles to challenge motorists about road rage towards cyclists.

What rages me so much, is the endless cyclists who often use two one way streets in my neighborhood, and constantly the wrong way.

One of the roads fits the width of a average car only, yet despite no entry signs, these are ignored by cyclists, as they hurtle down the road.

Tonight, i spoke to one cyclists, i told him not to endanger myself and obey the highway code.

The two streets in question do not allow cyclists to use it the wrong way (contra flow) and there is no cycle track installed, just two large no entry signs at the start of the road.

Im asking motorists, can anything be carried out to address this problem, or is this a sign of the times, and that motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs, and cyclists can do what the want??

Originally posted by trinidadone
    You are doing a strawman, because of course the vast majority will agree that cyclists should obey traffic laws.

Why do you want to exclude cyclists' views? You'd be amazed how many would agree that cyclists are culpable when they disobey the rules.

or are you just trolling?
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 14th Oct 16, 7:17 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Hello Motorists,

I find machine guns in the bumpers and rocket launchers behind the headlights helpful

But seriously though, isn't it a case of pot, kettle and black, shock horror, a lot of cyclists don't follow the highway code, well I hate to rain on your parade but a lot of motorists don't either, doesn't the saying go "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 14th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    Thank you for your honesty. I did not even know lights were that cheap??? I am sure a take away cost more. the guy i spoke to, tonight had no lights. If I was driving fast, i would of killed him tonight
    That's why you don't drive fast at night in built up areas. Do you not have headlights on your car? I find these perfectly adequate for spotting Ninja cyclists in the dark.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    NBLondon
    How is the cyclist endangering you in a car?
    Originally posted by arcon5
    As a driver, very little - just the odd moment of panic when an unlit cyclist appears from an unexpected direction.

As a pedestrian - rather more!

I walk across Central London most working days and this is a significant issue. I will always look both ways crossing a one-way street because of the number of cyclists who break this rule (or blindly assume that because some one-way streets have a contra-flow cycle lane the rule doesn't apply to cyclists). The same for zebra and pelican crossings - because there is a minority of London cyclists who seem to think these are decorative and pedestrians are just slow-moving street furniture to be slalomed round at high speed. More than once I have arrived at a pelican with green man showing, four or five cyclists stopped when another anal sphincter overtakes them and dives between the crossing pedestrians.

So I guess the answer to the OP question is to continue to press the Met to dedicate a bit of time and publicity to tackling the minority of cyclists who endanger themselves and others. As well as pressing TfL and other bodies to actually improve the road environment for the majority of cyclists who just want to get where they are going safely and quickly.

Oh and keep ignoring the ones who respond online suggesting it doesn't matter that some cyclists do bad things because motorists do them too/are more dangerous. They are likely to be justifying their own faecal exit behaviour...
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 5,269 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Hello Motorists,

Why are you only interested in motorists views?
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    NBLondon
    He's afraid of brat and Marco Panettone
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Using the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy to start another bikes vs cars thread is dumb

Plenty of motorists drive through red lights, driving on their mobile, driving up one way streets, hop on the pavement to go around, go in a left turn lane to jump queuing traffic, speed, tailgate etc

In 2013: 1713 or so drivers died in car crashes, 5396 pedestrians were killed or seriously injured (around 1 death and 14 serious injuries a day) by cars

Data from the Times shows only 20 pedestrians a year are injured by cyclists on the pavement. In 2012 ONE pedestrian was killed by a cyclist and 78 seriously injured, in the same period 253 pedestrians were killed by drivers and 4426 were seriously injured.

Sure though, moan about the moron cyclists who ruin it for the rest of us

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3986796.ece
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 5,269 Posts
    • 4,045 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    He's afraid of brat and Marco Panettone
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    I think he's a she and she is only interested in her own small world.

"motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs"
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Strider590
    People need to stop, look at this guys thread history........

I'm concerned that this guy is looking for support in his cyclist hatred, such that he'll feel it justifiable to go out and attack/kill one.
    People do this and they act entirely as though they're doing so with the support of everyone around them.

Look here.......... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5312935

OP is complaining about cyclists using "fog horns". Clearly OP has already driven aggressively and too close to a number of cyclists.

Statistically speaking, the number of cyclists using air horns is as high as the number using helmet cams, so I would not be surprised to find a video of OP on Youtube somewhere.
    Last edited by Strider590; 14-10-2016 at 10:08 AM.

• Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Strider590
    Like anything there are courteous drivers and courteous cyclists just like there are moronic drivers and moronic cyclists.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    Exactly!

However, as drivers we label bad drivers as (for example) Audi/BMW drivers, so we can identify them and stay out of their way.

But when we see a bad cyclist, we tend to lump them all together and then because they're on bicycles (seen as a childs toy) instead of a status symbol, we see them as though they're treating the road as a playground and feel it's somehow our duty to teach them a lesson.

I am primarily a driver, i'm a leisure cyclist, I transport my bike to the local MTB trails and I stay off the roads. I do have a hybrid that I bought for commuting, but my GF asked me not to, said that other drivers are too dangerous.

• Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 8,846 Posts
    • 11,846 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Sorry I deleted my post after I read yours Strider590 about the OP's vendetta against cyclists.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    Johno100
    Exactly!

However, as drivers we label bad drivers as (for example) Audi/BMW drivers, so we can identify them and stay out of their way.

But when we see a bad cyclist, we tend to lump them all together and then because they're on bicycles (seen as a childs toy) instead of a status symbol, we see them as though they're treating the road as a playground and feel it's somehow our duty to teach them a lesson.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Sorry, but how is it any more acceptable to lump Audi and BMW drivers together than to do so with cyclists?

Anyway we know there aren't any bad cyclists out there, the miscreants are "people on bikes" not cyclists.
    Last edited by Johno100; 14-10-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 14th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Ahh London. And the following buffoon of a mayor, Boris Johnson came up with the idea of the cycle super-highway through London costing quite a few quid and loads of congestion while it was built. The result? Well ok it's taken a few cyclists off the road BUT it seems they are now in conflict with each other!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3834940/Rider-s-risky-overtake-causes-calamitous-crash-sending-cyclists-sprawling-floor-congested-superhighway-track.html
    Originally posted by Tilt
    Wow, that is a shocking crash. I bet there were a few bruises.

Fortunately cars never crash into each other. Can you imagine the carnage if that were to ever happen.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Tilt
    ^^ Lights are problematic, they require planning and forethought, making sure one has enough batteries to last the week, or using rechargeable and having a spare set on charge every day, or using USB rechargable lights and hoping your boss isn't the sort of power tripping moron that won't let you use a power socket at work to recharge them. All this and then some little toe rag steals them off your bike.

There's a lot more to it than you think, bikes don't have the luxury of a constantly replenishing power supply. It seems too easy for drivers to judge what they don't understand.

Not to mention the crazy drivers who think that a cyclist with bright lights "thinks they're better than everyone else" and make it their mission to teach them a lesson.
    All these (Err) reasons may be valid. But at the end of the day there are NO excuses for a cyclist to be rising at night with no lights on. Oh... and it's against the law, I believe.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Tilt
    That won't hold........... Those lights will be in road, smashed to bits in seconds and drivers won't avoid hitting them, they'll almost certainly make a beeline for them.

As for batteries, one set might last all week, but what if it doesn't? What if you leave them on one day? With the cost of batteries most people won't go out and buy several packs OR carry backups, so if those batteries run out on Wednesday morning, what are you going to do?

These aren't excuses, these are real life situations, it's not my problem that some drivers are too blinded by ignorance to see it, just as so many drivers don't understand why cyclists might want to ride away from the "door zone" or avoid drain covers.
    People shouldn't be judging what they don't understand.
    Really? What do you suggest then... no lights at all? The guy in the in link thought so but look what happened to him.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/death_of_welwyn_garden_city_violinist_a_tragic_acc ident_says_coroner_1_1115588
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 14th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Tilt
    That's why you don't drive fast at night in built up areas. Do you not have headlights on your car? I find these perfectly adequate for spotting Ninja cyclists in the dark.
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    Not much good if car is pulling out from a side road and un-lit "Ninja cyclist" is approaching from your right/left. Believe it or not, "Ninja cyclists" can also be found in rural areas.
    PLEASE NOTE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,286Posts Today

7,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin