Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first78
    • By first78 13th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 709Posts
    • 351Thanks
    first78
    Any children's social workers?
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    Any children's social workers? 13th Oct 16 at 7:58 PM
    I've just finished uni as a mature student and have started working in a children's safeguarding team for my LA. I've been there 2.5 months now (had 4 weeks off sick during this time), but feel I'm really struggling to fit in...it's getting me down as I'm I need a totally new role, new LA and I'm feeling totally overwhelmed. Are all teams like this? Does everyone feel this when they start?
Page 1
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 13th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    Everyone feels that way when they start a new job.

Have you done anything yourself to try and fit in? Even something simple as making tea/coffee for people is a start.

You've only done 6 weeks of working there - you need to give it time and make a real effort to fit in, because at this point in your career you need to get experience.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • asajj
    • By asajj 13th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 8,110 Thanks
    asajj
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    Starting a new job, especially right after the uni feels like that - so you aren't alone. Try to talk to your manager perhaps. Try to get to know people if possible. If you struggle to perform some tasks, ask help/suggestions. It takes a couple of months to learn many roles. So try to keep worry to a minimum and perhaps learn to prioritize your tasks so you won't feel overwhelmed! Best of the luck
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 13th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 8,631 Thanks
    nimbo
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    I have pm'd you.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 408 / 500
    • first78
    • By first78 14th Oct 16, 5:42 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    first78
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:42 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:42 AM
    Everyone feels that way when they start a new job.

Have you done anything yourself to try and fit in? Even something simple as making tea/coffee for people is a start.

You've only done 6 weeks of working there - you need to give it time and make a real effort to fit in, because at this point in your career you need to get experience.
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    I've offered to get people stuff from the shop I feel I'm going out to get my lunch, I always say good morning when I go into the office (don't often get a response) and I've tried to make conversation to get to know colleagues, asking how their weekend was, whether they've got plans for the evening etc.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 14th Oct 16, 6:12 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:12 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:12 AM
    A lot of people don't like small talk. But six weeks is nowhere long enough to settle in. Give it a few months.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 14th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    I've just finished uni as a mature student and have started working in a children's safeguarding team for my LA. I've been there 2.5 months now (had 4 weeks off sick during this time), but feel I'm really struggling to fit in...it's getting me down as I'm I need a totally new role, new LA and I'm feeling totally overwhelmed. Are all teams like this? Does everyone feel this when they start?
    Originally posted by first78
    As you've been off sick for nearly half the time you've been in the job (and presumably everybody else has had to cover your work) you may find that colleagues are feeling a bit put upon. Can you do anything extra to counteract these feelings?

Wasting more time trying to chat and disappearing at lunch time may be counterproductive, however well meant.
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 14th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 2,844 Thanks
    so very confused
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    In my 35 years experience of front line childrens social work give it time. You are a newly qualified worker your caseload will be considerably lighter than your colleagues. I have known agency staff start and leave within a matter of weeks and I have not known their name. I am a friendly, sociable and supportive person but in an an environment when you are in the office at 07.30 and still out working at 20.00 then doing reports at home frankly people just have not got the time. It takes time to get to know people. Also consider people maybe tired, burnt out. Has there been a high turn over of staff as that maybe a factor.
    My description sounds dreadful but unfortunately it is too often the reality. Hang on in there and people will feel you have an investment and probably will come around.
    Do keep talking to your supervisor. You should also have a mentor being newly qualified.
    I have now retired. I was very good at what I did and still miss it, I just needed a less demanding job.
    Good luck.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,470Posts Today

6,363Users online

Martin's Twitter