Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 1,196Posts
    • 853Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Laundry - how many different loads do you sort it all into?
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    Laundry - how many different loads do you sort it all into? 13th Oct 16 at 7:51 PM
    Does everyone do lots of different washes for everything? I do separate washes for:

Bedsheets 60 C
    White clothes (hardly any) 40 C
    Darks (Jeans/clothes) 40 C
    Colours 40 C
    Delicates (wool stuff) 30 C
    Bath towels/Tea towels/cleaning cloths 60 C

It's six different washes, with different laundry baskets all over the house to sort/store the stuff.

Usually, each wash is less than half full which seems very wasteful, and it's time consuming. It would be different if I was doing laundry for a whole family but it's just me, so there's never that much stuff. I can't save up enough for a full load as it would take ages and there's always things I need regularly.

Is there any way to reduce this? I was thinking of adding the white clothes into the 60 C wash with the bedsheets, but would this shrink them? Is it unhygienic to add the towels in to the 40 C clothes wash?
Page 3
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I'd add that I am known among my friends for keeping clothes for ages, although by family standards, I am profligate!

A fairly recent example is 3 Lands' End Tshirts that I bought 8 years ago, and have just gone into the ragbag. They were 'good' for 3-4 years (delicate wash) 'good enough' for wearing around the house (delicate usually, but standard sometimes) for another 3 or so, and in the last year or so have been relegated to 'mucky jobs' and gone through any wash!

Edited to add that they probably had about 30-40 washes a year at first, then rather more. So I got 100-120 wears/washes out of them whist still good enough to wear out, looking nice. Do others think that is quite good or not?

I do have a lot of much older clothes, but they don't get the same wear, except for 1 Etam top, 20 years old - last 5 or so only 'round the house' wear, at least once a week, but still won't bite the dust!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    I'm just as bad (or good - depending how you look at it!) I still have a cardigan from when I was 12... I'm now 32. Granted, I hardly ever wear it, but it still makes a few outings a year!
    I also have a heavy-duty fleece zip-up that hangs on the back of my desk chair, which I probably wear a few times a week most of the year, that must be at least 7 years old, but still looks perfectly good.
    I also wear a vest-top as a base layer year round, most of them came from Primark, and are at least 5 years old, but still perfectly do the job! Why replace or throw away what still does the job?
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I have one of those hampers labelled darks and lights, so it's easy to sort as I go. And those are the only 2 loads I do. I deliberately don't buy stuff that is going to require any special sort of washing, such as by hand.

Only had a couple of disasters over the years... One quite recent though... Managed to dye 2 white t-shirts baby pink! Still not quite sure what went wrong! Had to throw one away as it just looked awful. The other is only good for summer PJs. Good thing they were only Primark ones!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • Marmaduke123
    • By Marmaduke123 15th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    Marmaduke123
    Ours all goes in the one laundry basket, and gets sorted when I do some washing. Clothes are roughly sorted darks and lights, with some flexibility about mid colours depending on the size of each pile. We don't have white clothes so no need for a whites pile.

Bed linen straight off the bed into the machine, at 40 degrees on a quick wash. Darks and lights the same. Towels, tea towels and cleaning cloths at 60 degrees. The new washing machine holds more than the old one, so it's normally four loads in total for the week.

We don't buy things which need handwashing, or any kind of wool (too itchy!)
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 16th Oct 16, 4:46 AM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 30,485 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    All of ours goes in one basket and I try and keep on top of it during the week. Generally speaking it gets sorted in to:

Delicates/my work stuff/things that just need freshening up
    Bedding/towels/t-towels
    Jumpers
    1 load of whites a week (DSs school shirts etc)
    1 load of sports stuff a week
    Then everything else!

I have an 8kg washing machine so try and make sure it is full before it goes on. I put a sports wash on last night but included some of my work trousers and a few other bits to make a full load.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 16th Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    Biggles
    Three loads:-

Outer clothes etc @ 40° (I see no need to separate whites & colours these days, though any bright coloured clothes are washed separately the first time only)

Under clothes (pants, socks etc) @ 60°

Bedding, towels, tea towels etc @ 60° with no fab con
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 16th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 4,919 Thanks
    t14cy t
    im lazy, it all goes in together!! xx
    • CathA
    • By CathA 16th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,226 Thanks
    CathA
    I'm just as bad (or good - depending how you look at it!) I still have a cardigan from when I was 12... I'm now 32. Granted, I hardly ever wear it, but it still makes a few outings a year!
    Originally posted by flubberyzing
    I did smile at that comment! I have a pair of shorts my mum made me when I was 14, she had a new sewing machine with whizzy bits on and she embroidered all sorts on there. Apart from metal fatigue in the zip which she replaced, they're still here and they still fit! I get them out once a year and test they still fit, sometimes I have to breathe in a bit to do the zip up, must try them again soon. And I'm 55!
    • CathA
    • By CathA 16th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,226 Thanks
    CathA
    I did smile at that comment! I have a pair of shorts my mum made me when I was 14, she had a new sewing machine with whizzy bits on and she embroidered all sorts on there. Apart from metal fatigue in the zip which she replaced, they're still here and they still fit! I get them out once a year and test they still fit, sometimes I have to breathe in a bit to do the zip up, must try them again soon. And I'm 55!
    Originally posted by CathA
    Following on from this, I thought I'd find the shorts out for a look-see. Minor panic when I couldn't find them in their usual place! (Guess who's gonna have a tidy drawers afternoon tomorrow? )
    Anyhow , found them now, drum roll please. ...........
    they still fit! Admittedly I had to breathe in to do the zip up and at one point I was doubting it would go but we made it. And I could sit down and cross my legs but not for long, my legs thought my circulation had been cut off.
    That's it till next year. X
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 16th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 5,203 Thanks
    jackyann
    I have to say CathA that you win the prize for 'oldest item of clothing still in use' and especially still fitting into shorts!
    • CathA
    • By CathA 16th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,226 Thanks
    CathA
    I have to say CathA that you win the prize for 'oldest item of clothing still in use' and especially still fitting into shorts!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Why thank you, kind lady! Not bad for 41 year old shorts, and 55 year old me, especially as I've had 3 kids, including one set of twins. Definitely a tight squeeze tho! x

And I wore those shorts every day; thinking about it they may well be older than I think as I wore them for a long time and at 14 we were back in England and I definitely didn't wear them in the UK.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter